MTH SD70ACe BNSF 9370

Going back to the original reason this post was made.
I have the BNSF 9370 and my 4 year old son and I really enjoy it.
I have several other companies like BL and Athearn.
I enjoy them all.
The new SD70ACe's are really nice. My son loves them and we own several.
I have a few of the Intermountain diesels in mind as well.
I will compare them when I get some.
The lights on the MTH, as mentioned often, are a bit disappointing.
Hopefully when Athearn releases their version, you can order parts and see about correcting them.
I am really impressed with the handrails on these MTH Ace's. Not flimsy and breakable like my other trains.
I could care less about the politics of companies and what they do.
As long as they put a smile on my sons face and they give good customer service, that is all that matters to me.

Going back to the original reason this post was made.
I have the BNSF 9370 and my 4 year old son and I really enjoy it.
I have several other companies like BL and Athearn.
I enjoy them all.
The new SD70ACe's are really nice. My son loves them and we own several.
I have a few of the Intermountain diesels in mind as well.
I will compare them when I get some.
The lights on the MTH, as mentioned often, are a bit disappointing.
Hopefully when Athearn releases their version, you can order parts and see about correcting them.
I am really impressed with the handrails on these MTH Ace's. Not flimsy and breakable like my other trains.
I could care less about the politics of companies and what they do.
As long as they put a smile on my sons face and they give good customer service, that is all that matters to me.

And that there is the key to this whole thing. If the cosumer that purchased the product is happy. What more can you ask for.

Personally, I wont buy an MTH product until they get with the rest of the HO community and start giving us the same things other companys give and loose this mentality of trying to short change those that do not have a system that is strictly propriety to thier own products. Simple as that.

And that there is the key to this whole thing. If the cosumer that purchased the product is happy. What more can you ask for.

Personally, I wont buy an MTH product until they get with the rest of the HO community and start giving us the same things other companys give and loose this mentality of trying to short change those that do not have a system that is strictly propriety to thier own products. Simple as that.

I would have to agree with you in that respect.
It does seem like they cater heavily to their DCS.

However, like I mentioned, my 4 year old doesn't know the difference between DCS, DCC or his ABC's for that matter!:eek: LOL
I should mention that I am running this engine DC with the MRC blackbox.
I still get a tone of great features. My Athearn steamer has quite a few more as far as options go on the Blackbox, but I am happy nonetheless.
I am considering a wireless handheld at the moment and have narrowed it down to the MRC. I will hold off for now as my son is not really clammering for features.
How do these MTH engines run on a DCC system. Specifically these ACe's?
What features are lacking?

I am considering a wireless handheld at the moment and have narrowed it down to the MRC. I will hold off for now as my son is not really clammering for features.

I run both DCS and DCC. I have times when I just want to run only MTH and the dcs is nice. The other times I run DCC and MTh has no problems. I will suggest buying a NCE system ( Power Cab) . I sold all my digitrax andI love this NCE. It was the fit for me. Notice i said for me, I don't want to start another 20 more pages to this thread. ( I really thought it was over) . MRC is good but it will not read back CV's and that can be a problem down the road. The NCE power cab can run two trains and is priced right. It is simple to use that even a Caveman can do it ! ( Now I will be sued by GIECO) From there you can expand. I run the Radio 5 amp NCE . It is perfect for me and I am glad I went to it. ( * Disclaimer - I do not work for NCE or affiliated with NCE . All my comments are bias and I have not been paid, bribed , or promised a hot date with any secretaries from NCE ) :D Thought I throw that in , that should protect me.

Also Digitrax Zephyr was a good start for me. I lied a bit , I do have my Zephyr unit and I will be e-baying it this weekend unless some one wants it. It is like new , I thought I had problems with it but it has been tested and is ok. You live in the united States I will ship it to you for $110.00 . Everything is there for it. Paypal only please.

FYI - MRC decoders and the MTH engines will not read back CVs on any system. (MRC decoders may read back on an MRC system, but I don't see why you would want them as many people have had bad experiences with them)

As for a DCC system, I've tried a few but currently, I am using digitrax (partially because the club I belong to uses it for the layout). Digitrax's controllers aren't the most ergonomic (and the buttons feel kind of cheap), but they do have two throttles in one so that you may run two trains at once. Digitrax decoders are not bad in my opinion, but the cheaper ones do lack BEMF control.

The NCE system has a great user interface. Their decoders are great.

The MRC system, in my opinion is not worth the money. For same same price of an MRC system, you can get a good NCE starter set. MRC decoders are junk.

There is also another popular system made by Lenz. The throttle is like a giant remote control. However, it does not have a wheel for train control and instead uses arrow keys to change speed. Lenz decoders are ok in the sense that they work, but they may refuse to accept a programmed speed curve to speed match with other brands.

Try to stay away from the Bachmann DCC system. It looks great, but looks is all it is. If you're not going to have a large layout or run locomotives with a lot of features, then the bachmann system is a cheap starter set. Bachmann decoders are made by Lenz.

If you're looking for a cheap quality starter set, then I'd suggest the Digitrax Zephyr. The only downside to the zephyr is that it doesn't come with a seperate throttle (although you can buy one and plug it in) and the built-in throttle and the command station is all one unit meaning you can't walk around with it. (which may not be a problem if you have a small layout). However, the Zephyr can be expanded into a larger system if you like it.

There is an older Atlas DCC system that is made by Lenz. It's an endangered species. Atlas on-board decoders with no sound are Lenz decoders.

The MRC Black Box, QSI Quantum Engineer, QSI Sidekick, and BLI DC Master are all DCC alternatives if you wish to remain running DC but want more features from sound locos. The QSI Quantum Engineer and Sidekick only work with QSI engines, the BLI DC Master works with BLI's own engines and perhaps other brands. The MRC Black Box works with most (but not all) sound equipped engines.

But lets not turn this into a DCC thread. ;)

Note: I do not work for, or are affiliated nor and I paid by any of the companies mentioned above.

I bought mine a few days ago but the couplers wont work. When I press F7 or 8 I hear the sound but nothing happens! I am using Digitrax.

Same thing on mine. Here is what you can try.

I put mine on the track , took a boxcar and hooked it to the engine. I would try uncouple it ;if did not release it I would tug on the box car while pushing the uncouple function. Then I would push it back together and repeat it again. I did this on the front and back and they are working fine on both of my engines. Just has to be broke in. If they don't work after that call mth for replacements.

: Just a note: I am sure you know this but make sure you are pressing F8 for back couplers and F7 for front.

The main things that are lacking, not because the system isn't capable, but because MTH wanted to force feed DCS.
1. The ability to control different sound levels individually, such as horn, bell, engine, etc.
2. The lack of advance consist (If you only run 1 loco trains it's not a problem)
3. The ability to speed match with loco's other than other MTH units of the same model.
4. The ability to change 90% of the other CV values for anything from lighting, to motor control.
Out of the box they run great and have some good features, but you're locked with what they decided you will have. No options without changing the decoder (Page 11 of this thread)

lets see;

cons: butt-ass ugly coupler
blueish white leds when better white leds are available
non dcc standard
over-priced

pros: NONE

Back