Kitbashed Passenger Diesel: GP40PH-2B

i added more pics to my "reference folder" on my computer. I may do this paint scheme, its only on 2 loco's.

Are decals available for those?

They were available on a PL42AC decal sheet that was available from island model works. But he didn't renew the njt license so I dont know if its possible to get them. I emailed him and im waiting for a response. I used his decals on my NJT P40 I did several years ago. They are all microscale decals too. If they aren't available its no biggie, the other version is still available from Microscale and if im lucky, Herald King.

Cannon dash 2 cab assembled. I have to figure out a way to get the numberboards filled so I can put decals when that time comes.
1006122249.png

1006122248.png

You can use sheet styrene behind the housing. If you want to light then later, cut out some clear plastic (like the ones that come in clamshell packaging for electronics) and use that.

Then, I'd decal over the sheet styrene/plastic (Shellscale numberboard decals are nice, especially if you want a white board with a black gasket)

You can use sheet styrene behind the housing. If you want to light then later, cut out some clear plastic (like the ones that come in clamshell packaging for electronics) and use that.

Then, I'd decal over the sheet styrene/plastic (Shellscale numberboard decals are nice, especially if you want a white board with a black gasket)

Thanks. i'll do a lil experimenting later today. And im not lighting the numberboards.

Well i messed up the roof section today. I was trying to splice in the DB hatch/fan for the single fan setup and the old bluebox DB section is narrower then the RTR shell. So it did not blend and there was no way of getting it to work. So i am in the need for a Athearn or RPP SD45 shell. Im thinking RPP because all the grills and such are seperate and I can kinda work with them that way and i'll fill in the ran holes like I did on this now useless shell.

Well I got an email yesterday afternoon saying they would have a GP40PH-2B in Hoboken Terminals small inspection pit for its 92 day inspection. They manager asked if this would be good. Of course I was like, hell yea it is. So i went down at 1pm today and met up with the manager who himself was kinda shocked that NJT allowed me to do this. I was only there for about 30-40 minutes taking measurements of the long hood from the radiators back and taking some pics with my cellphone. I didn't want to keep him away from his duties long and since this engine was beeing serviced I didn't want to get in the way of the mechanical forces.

So it looks like 4 cannon doors will need to be customized. The others are all standard sized from cannon.

I didn't bring my camera, just used the cellphone. I didn't want to be in the way since they were working on the engine. I took pics of some detail areas that I needed.

Ok need a lil help with this part. I've thought about a GE airtank but I think it will be to small. Any thoughts?
1016121302.png

1016121301c.png

Did you measure it? Perhaps they can be scratchbuilt? Maybe try using an air tank of the right girth from a larger scale and shortening it?

unfortunately no i didn't measure it. It was set back from the side of the engine and over the inspection pit. ANd I wasn't allowed down in the pit, hell they were cautious with me just taking pics. I did find something that might work.... A semi-truck fuel tank. Also, precision scale as some large air tanks I might be able to use. I just wish I was able to get more pics but i got what i was able to do. I may take a lil road trip to port jervis this weekend and hope that they have a geep up there.

What about tanks from an F40PH or 8-32BHW loco? I am sure I can come up with something using styrene tube and some DW parts. Shoot me some demensions and I will see what I can some up with.

With the fiber optic side lighting, instead of forming the cables into T shapes why not just have a separate cable for each side that runs to the same LED? Six cables total, but only three LEDs, one for each colour.

Let me check my parts pile and I will see what I have that might work for you.

I didn't even think about those parts. But the dimensions i would say would be as wide as the long hood and diameter maybe like 24''?

With the fiber optic side lighting, instead of forming the cables into T shapes why not just have a separate cable for each side that runs to the same LED? Six cables total, but only three LEDs, one for each colour.

That could work. My concern is the small size this part would be.

Back