I am completely flabbergasted.

Hi Smudge617. Where is Derby located? My grandfather came to the USA in the late 1800's from Dymchurch. He was in the UK Navy for several years and decided that he was not going anywhere in the UK so he moved to Massachusetts and became a US citizen. I have some records that show him as being on the Victory at one time. Wish I knew more about him.
I'm about halfway up England, about 150 miles north of London. Dymchurch is South East of London, on the coast quite near Folkestone/Dover. I've visited Dymchurch many years ago, not much to do, but has a great beach area.

In regards to your Grandfather, you could try contacting the Naval Records Office at www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
They may be able to help if you want to do a little research into him.

Also here maybe some help.

Buy an electric car. That’ll fix everything!!😆

No kidding. Two of my friends recently took delivery of electric vehicles that they ordered a while back, before gas went up. One got a Ford Mach-E, the other a Polestar 2. Both get to charge them for free at work, both love them (although one did have some issues with the Ford early on). I do envy their lack of a gasoline bill.

I have Tesla stock, but won't buy one until they can meet or exceed the mileage I get on a tank of gas, in my current vehicles. In the mean time GO TESLA! Maybe by the time the mileage gets to where it should be, the stock will pay for a Tesla. ;)

They have a computerized machine that will scan the color chip from anything and match it perfectly with new paint. I had a whole shopping center painted with several batches of paint being mixed at different times as the job progressed. There was absolutely no place where one batch was different than the last. It's really amazing.
I believe Glenng6 meant she took the grey miss-tinted paint rather than new paint and converted it to the earth color. Right Glenn?

No kidding. Two of my friends recently took delivery of electric vehicles that they ordered a while back, before gas went up. One got a Ford Mach-E, the other a Polestar 2. Both get to charge them for free at work, both love them (although one did have some issues with the Ford early on). I do envy their lack of a gasoline bill.
Wait till they need a new battery for $10,000 and see how you feel then.

Wait till they need a new battery for $10,000 and see how you feel then.

Most EV batteries (including the 2 vehicles mentioned) have a battery warranty to 100,000 miles.
Knowing my friends, however, they will probably be getting new vehicles before those batteries expire anyway.

But, you inspired me to do the math.

Using the average US vehicle fuel economy, 100k miles = 4,000 gallons of gasoline.
Current average fuel price = ~$4.00/gallon
Fuel costs for 100,000 miles driven = $16,000

Thus, a $10,000 replacement battery is cheaper than the fuel you'd buy instead. If you're fortunate to have free EV charging somewhere, then its gravy.

But wait! You say, what if you have to charge it all yourself? You're paying for that!

Ok, so the average electricity cost per kWh is around 10 cents. The average EV costs around 3 cents for charging per mile driven.
Driving 100,000 miles = $3000.

$10,000 battery + $3000 charging costs = $13,000

That's still cheaper than the current cost of driving a gasoline car that distance. The break-even point including charging costs would be gasoline at $3.25/gallon. If you have access to free charging, then it's $2.50/gallon. Now you're even getting me to start thinking about an EV.

My "electric" hybrid F150 is not living up to its advertising in any way. I think the longest it has run on battery only is about 6 miles, then the gas engine has to cut in to charge the battery.
My son-in-law has a hybrid Toyota Camry. His doesn't wait until the battery needs charging, but if he drives over 10-12 miles per hour the gas engine is always on. What a waste! I won't buy an EV until it can go more than 400 miles on a charge. However, when that happens the cost of batteries will probably be astronomical. That being said, please everyone, buy Teslas's, I have a lot of stock. 😁 Glenn

I think a lot of things will get cancelled by the next administration Smudge. #1 return of domestic oil production; #2 Closing of our Southern border for starters.
glenng6 your information is more like what I hear most days about EV's.
Skyliner that's really interesting information. However the price of recharging your EV is more like .32 per kw from what I hear around here. But either way what will you do when there is not enough power to go around? You might get up in the morning and find that your battery isn't charged at all because the circuit breaker blew and you didn't know that. Too many EV's in your neighborhood.
Also somebody is going to get hit with the cost of new batteries at some time or other and the cost could just wipe out a persons finances. I'm not against EV's at all. It's a good idea I think but it's being forced down our throats way before there is enough power to charge all these cars at this time. There is always the wreck out on the interstate that holds up traffic for hours. What will happen when about fifty cars stop running all in the same spot? No provision for that either right now. The Green new deal is just moving way to fast and there is nothing we can do about it yet. #3 could be slowing all this down for the grid to catch up. Lots of pro's and con's here right now. 87000 IRS agents will be there to make sure you do it right though. The new Gestapo.

First of all, I am not opposed to EV's per se. However I believe as many do, that they are being forced upon us too rapidly without thinking the whole idea all of the way through.
1) Recycling all of those EV batteries is already a headache that no one has taken into consideration. Same thing with the used up solar panels that's already plaguing Kalifornians right now. Many cite statistics about no one keeping a car for 100,000 miles, so lets just pass the problem of replacement and/or disposal to some one else.
2) What happens when someone "runs out of charge" in the middle of the freeway. Stupid people already run out of gas which can be carried out to them in a can. Also no such thing as "jump-starting".
3) Some have already alluded to the lack of electrical infrastructure in many neighborhoods, this will be a major issue to all. The electric grid is already stressed in many parts of USA, and NIMBY's don't want new transmission lines

I have Tesla stock, but won't buy one until they can meet or exceed the mileage I get on a tank of gas, in my current vehicles. In the mean time GO TESLA! Maybe by the time the mileage gets to where it should be, the stock will pay for a Tesla. ;)
I have Southern Company stock. They are a group of electricity providers based in Atlanta. They own and operate every kind of power generator there is and the stock just went up $5 a share last week. Not a whizz bang stock but one that will be around for a very long time.

I am sure there is a better solution then a battery out there but like high gas mileage engines the gas companies have held that back. Oh yeah, it’s call nuclear power!

When they can commercially destroy safely the nuclear power rods and contaminated cooling waters and make a buck doing it with lasers, nuclear power will be the rage again. They should also be able to that with general refuse.

Return of USA oil production can be there now. There are more then enough capped oil wells just in Texas that could be brought into production with nothing from the administration holding production back. Yes, digging for new is being mucked up by the current regime. But when gas hit $4.00 a gallon and oil over $100 a barrel none of those capped wells were brought into production. That’s not a regime issue that is a oil company greed issue. With record profits in the last 2 quarters for oil company management look great to the shareholders and that is the American way!

With the shift and investments the gas auto manufacturers around the world are currently doing, the next administration, whenever that occurs, will reap the benefits and gladly take credit. The negative effects of course will be blamed on this administration. It’s the way of politics.

Whatever the act passed over the weekend by the Senate is called it will not stop inflation. Inflation was helped along when the previous administration gave out free money and the current administration continued the program. Then they also added their own twists.

We are a greatly reduced in 2022 but still a large Tesla shareholder even though I believed and still believe Musk is a huckster. I do not control the family finances per an agreement made with my wife since 1990. A great decision by the wife and son to buy when Tesla was newer has turned out better then the Apple. Unfortunately aRivian investment is not doing well. It is however about where Tesla was in 2014 when Terry found Tesla. I am not a true believer in the Electric cars as the future and feel that it needs to be getting better then the average of 25 mpg the average USA driver gets now. Tesla’s huge money source in 5 years will not IMO be the cars. It will be the Powerwalls and future energy storage devices they are developing.

The solar roof tiles we have from when Tesla was still selling roof tile solar panels are guaranteed for 20 years and there is a recycling program providing we buy Tesla again. But, since the roof tiles are on hold. That may become an issue. Those big power generating wind blades are an issue that hopefully laser recycling comes to the forefront and can take care of.

Interesting discussion

2) What happens when someone "runs out of charge" in the middle of the freeway. Stupid people already run out of gas which can be carried out to them in a can. Also no such thing as "jump-starting".
I thought about this a while back. My commute is longer than an electric range, so I'll buy the electric and use the generator in the back of the F-150 to charge it with. Great big thick cable between the two vehicles driving down the interstate. o_O ridiculous.

Back