I am completely flabbergasted.

Bonita Grand Central

Have any of you bought any paint lately? A couple days ago I went to Sherwin Williams to get some latex paint for coloring styrofoam without melting it. Got a quart of white and a quart of medium gray and it cost $53. I had to get the old credit card out for two quarts of latex. Kinda thought about getting a Third World loan from Uncle Sam to pay for it. Man, there is no end to the damage being done to our economy. At least the styrofoam looks better now.

Paint has been getting expensive for some time, that's not a particularly recent trend. However, a couple thoughts:
-Sherwin Williams is a somewhat high quality paint brand, intended for homes and commercial use. You are paying extra for that.
-Buying it directly from Sherwin Williams is even more expensive than from a home improvement or hardware store.
-Places like Home Depot, Lowes, etc. carry basic interior paint for as low as around $25/gallon, which is less than $7/quart.

But what I do whenever I'm in a home improvement store is I take a look at the "Oops/mistake/returned" paint rack, where they sell mis-mixed or returned paint (usually because the buyer didn't like the color after all). You can often find earth tones and other similar colors usable for layout base colors for pretty cheap. Here's some examples I've found over the past couple years, you can see the quarts on the left cost me $2 each.

IMG-4951.jpg

I could have gone further down the road to a Home Depot but I figured I go to the closest place. That is a S-W store. Granted it has been several years since I bought any paint but This really boggled my mind. Also just bought some of those little Testors bottles of paint. I remember paying ten cents a bottle and now they are $3.89 and no, the bottle isn't any bigger. I'm sure going to take Skyliner's tip on looking at the OOps department if I need more paint. I'm going the extra distance to Home Depot too. Thanks for the tip skyliner.
By the way Dave, what the heck are you doing to your tires and mirrors? Ha!

I would like to know if the government inflation rates take in shrinkflation as well in their numbers. A pound of butter will always be a pound of butter, but a loaf of bread or container of milk is not always the same. Chapmans ice cream up here in Canada has recently advertised that they haven’t been changing the volume, they are my favourite up here.

I would like to know if the government inflation rates take in shrinkflation as well in their numbers. A pound of butter will always be a pound of butter, but a loaf of bread or container of milk is not always the same. Chapmans ice cream up here in Canada has recently advertised that they haven’t been changing the volume, they are my favourite up here.
Our government does not count food or fuel prices into their inflation statistics.

Free Market Capitalism guys! It comes with peaks and valleys. All of this has happened before, and all of it will happen again. It's a world wide issue, but it will pass. Gas is on the verge of dropping under $4.00 a gallon here. It'll level out. It always does. :)

Our government does not count food or fuel prices into their inflation statistics.
They don't count anything that would make the numbers look bad.My food is up 50% in the last two years and it's still going up although slower. I've always thought that they left out things like food and fuel because it makes the cost of living go way up and they don't want to give us the raise in Social Security because of it. One year under Obama my SS went up $5 and Medicare went up $6. Thanks a lot you puke.

Paint has been getting expensive for some time, that's not a particularly recent trend. However, a couple thoughts:
-Sherwin Williams is a somewhat high quality paint brand, intended for homes and commercial use. You are paying extra for that.
-Buying it directly from Sherwin Williams is even more expensive than from a home improvement or hardware store.
-Places like Home Depot, Lowes, etc. carry basic interior paint for as low as around $25/gallon, which is less than $7/quart.

But what I do whenever I'm in a home improvement store is I take a look at the "Oops/mistake/returned" paint rack, where they sell mis-mixed or returned paint (usually because the buyer didn't like the color after all). You can often find earth tones and other similar colors usable for layout base colors for pretty cheap. Here's some examples I've found over the past couple years, you can see the quarts on the left cost me $2 each.

View attachment 149014
I check out our local Ace Hardware as the big box stores are 90 Miles in each direction. If the color is not exactly what you want they will change it to your liking. Last time I wanted something just a touch darker and they did it for nothing. Only took a few minutes too.

Years ago, when I was in the military, we got a pay raise. Worked out at we got £5 a week more, military put our food and accommodation up by £6 a week.
That's pretty awful to do to your own military. Maybe when it comes to war you could only work three days a week. The whole military thing is based on the troops taking orders no matter what. When that stops then it's every man for himself.

That's pretty awful to do to your own military. Maybe when it comes to war you could only work three days a week. The whole military thing is based on the troops taking orders no matter what. When that stops then it's every man for himself.
When it comes to the Military, the UK Government really does little to care for them after their service has ended, vast majority are, for want of a better term, thrown away. It has improved somewhat in recent years, but nowhere near the level of Europe and the US.

I did as others mentioned and went to Lowe's looking for the oops cans. I took a sample of my earth color, from 40 years ago. The only color they had was a medium gray color. I told her I would come back another time. The girl said don't worry, I am a magician. And she said if you don't like it, you don't have to take it. Well, she is a magician. The color match was perfect. I have no idea how she did it, other than adding tons of pigments. Needless to say, I took it home and my new extension is a perfect match for the ancient paint. Although, the new paint does have a sheen that the old paint lost long ago. YMMV, but I would not hesitate to have this done again. Glenn

They have a computerized machine that will scan the color chip from anything and match it perfectly with new paint. I had a whole shopping center painted with several batches of paint being mixed at different times as the job progressed. There was absolutely no place where one batch was different than the last. It's really amazing.

Back