Haloween Weekend photofun 31Oct-2Nov

great looking steel mill!!! looking good!!!!

In IN on I 90 I drive past the steel mills all the time. there is allot of stuff going on there even when they are slow.
How many Tracks lead into that mill? Wish I had the room for a building like that!!!

Thank you all. I have 4 lead tracks so far and more on the way. I'm excited about Walthers new mill stuff for next spring. But it's pricey ! I'd better start saving up now ! Anyway I have until spring or summer so I'll have more time to work on other sections of my layout. More pictures next week.

Larry

Well I turned 40 today....

Last night my wife and son took me to Ft. Myers to an evening on the Seminole Gulf Railway for the Murder Mystery Dinner Train...the play we saw was "A Hard Day's Death".

It was fun and the 5 course meal was great! I enjoyed it and got a few pics that I will post later. I have a little more celebrating to do...so I am off!

Here is the link where I went!

http://www.semgulf.com/

Cya l8r guys!

I rode that train back when I was 12 or 13 years old. We were on vacation and mom took me to the train. We Got to sit shotgun in the engine on the ride back. the good old days of letting rail fans in the cab.. what engine were they using?? I dont have digiatal pics of that day but I recall it blue short hood with yellow and red stripes?

A quick picture of N S & T units 15 & 18.

1518b.jpg

Hi friends!!!

First, happy birthday Alcomotive!!! Mine was last friday, so I celebrate with my family, unfortunadly I didnt get my new Marklin set on time... But it supose to be here this week.

Today I've been working on a sratch build flat car, I dont know how it looks down side, so I will just cover it.

First cut, chassis

I made a box on chassis to can add clay as weight.

And my bday photos... see the cake:D

Here I am, with the white shirt, next to me my grandparents.

Regards

happy birthday mike:)

worked on some weathering this wekend, but nothing photoworthy. I did however go railfaning at the Howell Wye, shot some power and some potential prototypes for my winter months weathering endevors-

2997539018_479a739e5d_o.jpg

2996691629_fa34723095_o.jpg

i dont see many of these any more-

2996693051_3e30dc3483_o.jpg

2996693561_da359996f8_o.jpg

2996694293_536790c8c6_o.jpg

2996696581_f596e4f735_o.jpg

2997537514_0574154a62_o.jpg

i thought this was one of those aircraft fuselage carriers (dubbed lunchboxes by my railfan friends) but when it got close enough I realized it was really just a reefer.

Im also trying to expand my knowledge of power units. ive can anyone identify the above power units by model# & manufacturer. feel free to include nicknames and/or variations. tried to look at charts and read up on it, but a lot of time i cant really see the subtile differences when they are whizzing by at 30 mph. Im a bit of a commercial aircraft buff, and i know how improvements usually spawn a generations of a single model in ascending sequence, i.e. Boeing 737-100, 200, 300 etc. Im sure rr equipment follows the same or similar criteria.

Last edited by a moderator:
Happy Birthday Alcomotive!! :)

Great work by everyone again this week!!!

Here's my prototype for this switcher.

pictures_17633_Upy1040onNyardleadXo.jpg

And here's my version of it. Still waiting on a few decals to arrive so I can finish it off.

100_3078.jpg

100_3081.jpg

I'm blown away by the great modeling I've seen here this weekend. Fantastic images ! Here's a few layout overview pictures. More next weekend
PBoverview006.png

PBoverview004.png

PBoverview001.png

I find myself just shaking my head every time I see these photos of the steel mill. These rank as some of the coolest model photos I have ever seen.

Happy Birthday, Alco and Mike! At 40, you're still a whippersnapper. Truning 60 is a lot more traumatic. :)

I've fallen too far behind to comment on each phot but they were great as usual. Larry, you deserve honorable mention for the biggest industry I've ever see. Fantastic!

happy birthday mike:)

worked on some weathering this wekend, but nothing photoworthy. I did however go railfaning at the Howell Wye, shot some power and some potential prototypes for my winter months weathering endevors-

2997539018_479a739e5d_o.jpg

2996691629_fa34723095_o.jpg

i dont see many of these any more-

2996693051_3e30dc3483_o.jpg
The models are as follows, EMD SD70M, GE C40-8W, GE C44-9 (Dash 9 Spartan Cab).

Thanks guys for all of your birthday wishes! I had a great day! Tomorrow I am going to go VOTE then I will be going to LHS to buy me a present! :)

Weekend at Fred's Locomotive Shop

In the Paint Shop/Stripping Shed we have:

DSC04990.jpg

2 E-60's are getting stripped, while an SD-60 experienced a painting disaster, that became a stripping disaster... looks like more time in the iso bath...

DSC04991.jpg

Texas & Gulf Coast MOW kitbash, TX&GC C40-8 (1st HO scale painted unit... suffered some severe paint bleed through under the tape... MAY go in for re-paint...)
PACE commuter system spot painted a former Santa Fe FP-45 so it could enter service immediatly
TX&GC branch line service train: regular freight unit, HEP/baggage car, coach, and coach/cab car.

Moving over to the Maintenance Bay:

DSC04993.jpg

2 E-33's are in, the 4605 is in to get its snowplow fitted, and the 4617 is in for a chop-nose.

DSC04999.jpg

This unique MOW car was inspired by Hurricane Ike. It is designed to survey the Right of Way following storms, and to be able to remove tree limbs and debris from the tracks. The caboose portion will house equipment to survey the rail bed for weakening of the sub-roadbed. The cut out portion will have steps for crew members to board mid-car, and the aft end will have gear lockers for chainsaws, shovels and other hand held tools.

Man, that's a lot of models to be working on at once. More than two wear me out. :) Is your MOW survey and cleanup car modeled after a prototype or is this your idea? If it's your idea, you should get it patented real quick before some railroad sees it. Seems like and excellent idea to me, not just for hurricanes. We've had trains damaged and derailed after tornados in this area by fallen trees and your idea would be just the ticket to check the line ahead of any trains restarting.

it's my idea, but based off of RJ Corman hi-rail trucks that I saw working their way into Houston on the UP lines to Beaumont. And yes, the idea is to run this car in front of trains even after heavy thunderstorms and such....

DSC04934.jpg

DSC04935.jpg

Back