Favorite train and era ?

Julien, that's the whole point with software. You need to try what's out there and find something you like and can afford. None of us can tell you the "best" one because we all have different needs and budgets.

Forget smoke machines. They are expensive, the smoke doesn't look realistic, especially for a diesel, and the oil that's used to create the smoke (usually some form of mineral oil), leaves a film of crud all over your tracks and the rest of the layout. A well maintained C-44 might have some smoke on start up but it shouldn't be constantly putting out smoke like a steam locomotive.

MiTrain actually look like the software used by the local club... maybe it what i was looking for
ill give it a try tonight

My favorite model and era? hmmm...
Era: about 1970, PRR / NYC / Penn Central / Conrail :)
Model: Now I have don't models (sorry, I live in Europe), but I want have SW7 PRR or NYC

Might as well, Jump in here - My favorite era Late 50 - 60's transistion steam / diesel, My favorite roads SP T&NO & my Fantasy Texas Midland.

My favorite era is C&O during WWII, My favorite locomotive is the the almighty 2-6-6-6 H8 Allegheny!!!

co1647a.png

I actually proposed to my fiance next to 1601 at the Henry Ford, and now she has more of an intrest in trains, and the Allegheny is her favorite also!!!

Later,

Devlyn

Although I grew to love the UP, my favorite has to be the NKP in the 1953-1960 era, when you could still see passenger trains being pulled by Bluebird PA's next to freight's being moved by Berkshires. Plus, how many other roads never bought an F unit, a B unit of any kind, and never had anything but heavyweight baggage cars even on otherwise streamlined trains? You've just got to love a rebel. :)

181.jpg

Jim, I'm an SD40-2 fan but I have to say that those Bluebirds are mighty impressive. The front trucks almost look like a snarl. But then I have a vivid imagination. :D:D

There is no doubt for me it is the 4-6-2 k4 from the boston & maine. Era- 1920's 30's. This and the 2-8-0 where the workhorses of the road.

Favourite era? Why, they didn't call me kid 40's for nuthin'!
(Actually no one ever did, but you get the idea)

As for favourite train.... that's a bit harder. I'm very fond of, SP steam, the big name trains like the 20th Century Limited, Daylight, the Hiawathas, Zephyrs, etc. I even have a soft spot for early diesels....

Back