Favorite train and era ?

Chris, I think we're already going through that "change" thing now. How's that working out for you? :)

The SP absolutely hated their U50's. They got three to use as test beds and found out they drank fuel at a prodigious rate, were inflexible, and tore up track at speeds above 35 mph. They spent their last few years doing yard transfer jobs between West Colton and San Bernardino. All three were sold for scrap in 1978.

I don't know how to say this more clearly. There are NO U50 or U50C's that survived. All were wrecked and scrapped, traded into GE for parts and then scrapped, or scrapped outright. It is not possible that anyone could have seen an operating (or non-operating) U50 in 2009 unless it was a cardboard mockup.

it wasn't 2009 that i saw it, i wanna say 2006-07?

CN/CP out on the prairies/northern plains in the 1970's and 1980's---except instead of abandoning lines a shortline bought up one and turned it into a moneymaker-----;)

My fave lokes for that era are the RS's and GMD1's with the A1A trucks---heeheehee:):):):)

it wasn't 2009 that i saw it, i wanna say 2006-07?

Once again, it could not have been after 1979. There were no U50's on the rails after that date - period. Look at the picture of the Centennial again and see if you could have mistaken it, thinking it was a U50. The DDA40X is the only locomotive currently on the rails as large as a U50. If you saw it from the rear, there are some similarities. If it was big, yellow, and had silver trucks, there's really nothing else it could have been but a Centennial.

Once again, it could not have been after 1979. There were no U50's on the rails after that date - period. Look at the picture of the Centennial again and see if you could have mistaken it, thinking it was a U50. The DDA40X is the only locomotive currently on the rails as large as a U50. If you saw it from the rear, there are some similarities. If it was big, yellow, and had silver trucks, there's really nothing else it could have been but a Centennial.

i like your description lol

Sante Fe Super Chief in the 50s. Strangely enough I never really liked the silver warbonnets until fairly recently! Guess I'm maturing more as a modeler :)

I read a survey once where War Bonnet F units were the most popular trains set locomotive over the next most popular by a 4:1 ratio. I can remember many a night at the Pomona station watching the Super Chief with an ABBA set of War Bonnet F's and thinking that railroading would probably never get better than this. I think I was probably right. :(

i would have to say modern.love those c44-9w"s dash 8" ac4400 .i do bnsf in modern rail

I'm a fan of the late 70s and early 80s (lots of cool old junk running and the second transition era from cabooses to FREDs and intermodel) also like the mid 90s threw 2000 or so

Favorite power any thing with a 251 in it.

nope i saw it from the side, trust me i know what the centennial looks like. it was a ginormous engine with a U50 cab, if it wasnt that i have no clue what it was, it wasnt a switcher i can assure u that

I guess im od because I never realy thought much for the war bonnets. No dbout they do look sharp but I think there were other roads with just as much flash.

I like the steam diesel transistion part because I was not there to see it and because you had so many diffrent locos both steam and diesel competing for best looks and power. just like with cars of the late 60s HP wars always brought new ideas and intresting looks.

as far as locos I like the heavy steam of the 30s-40s
and High hood GP units and the F or E streamliners.

Trent, we of the same cloth. I tend to run a lot of steam engines, but tend to model from WWII to the early, early 1960's . But you will see steamers and diesel units both on the layout. Anything from Consolidated steam engines to Berkshires and compounds. From BL2's and DL109's to E- and F- units as well as the early Geeps and SD's. Such a wide range of head-end power to choose from.

And I model, a somewhat imaginary union, no less than six roads, that traversed near my hometown as a youth. Gives me an even wider selection of engines to choose from. Th roads? NKP, Monon(CIL), C&O, NYC, PRR, and Wabash.

Bob

I'm 6 hours away from it. It's in Michigan and I'm in Indiana. I'm not one to take pictures. Taking pictures takes time from modeling, boating, fishing, and my other hobbies...... Oddly, I have a couple of really nice digital cameras and a Sony Handicam. About the only thing I ever take pictures of is the items I sell on eBay. And then I procrastinate doing that. I'm just not a photographer.

Maybe I can get the better half to do it. We go on vacation or some other fan thing, and all I ever see when I look at her is a camera glued to her face.

Bob

Back