Favorite train and era ?

julienjj

Noodle is good
what are yours favorite train model and era?
give some phtos of yours fav one :D

Me: i wish i had an CN rail C44-9W

i like EMD F9 aswell

Mine is Milwaukee Road and the MP15AC and the SD40-2.So it would have to be the late 70's to the mid 80's.next would be the C&NW and the Rock Island, MP15DC and SD40-2 for the C&NW and SD40-2 and SW1200 for the Rock island though it would of been the MP15AC if the Rock island hadn't of gone bankrupt,as they were going purchase 40 SD40-2's and 30 MP15 AC's along with 40 GP38-2's.

I'm going to have to go with a hotshot coal drag with a couple SD70MAC's in the lead proudly wearing the Grinstien Green colors in 1984.
(wiping drool off keyboard)

there is my old EMD F9 #9162

it soo old it still have the older non-magnetic coupler system
tchoooo.jpg

My favorite is conrail in the early to mid 90's, growing up with daily big blue freight trains roaring through the field behind my house brings back fond memories of sd40-2s ,gp40-2s and c40-8ws :)

conrail-2.jpg

090405B.png

Who would have thought we would someday miss big blue? But I do too. I have a soft spot for Conrail SD40-2s but I model the Wabash in the 1960’s.
IMG_1167.jpg

Although I grew to love the UP, my favorite has to be the NKP in the 1953-1960 era, when you could still see passenger trains being pulled by Bluebird PA's next to freight's being moved by Berkshires. Plus, how many other roads never bought an F unit, a B unit of any kind, and never had anything but heavyweight baggage cars even on otherwise streamlined trains? You've just got to love a rebel. :)

181.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
while those euro bullet trains look awesome it is probably this one. as you can see it has a cab at each end just as any proper locomotive should ;)
although i almost got killed by one when i was 7 or so. couldn't find pic in our local colors

800px-Diesel_locomotive_TEP70-0318.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Although I grew to love the UP, my favorite has to be the NKP in the 1953-1960 era, when you could still see passenger trains being pulled by Bluebird PA's next to freight's being moved by Berkshires. Plus, how many other roads never bought an F unit, a B unit of any kind, and never had anything but heavyweight baggage cars even on otherwise streamlined trains? You've just got to love a rebel. :)

181.jpg

I couldn't agree more!

I'm an NKP fan, but the Bluebirds were definitely something special.

Not only that, but what other railroad cut a depression on the front of a PA just so the bell would be on the front of the engine, where all proper bells should reside? Even the original black with yellow stripes freight scheme was a winner. The NKP was a great railroad and I miss it.

Not only that, but what other railroad cut a depression on the front of a PA just so the bell would be on the front of the engine, where all proper bells should reside? Even the original black with yellow stripes freight scheme was a winner. The NKP was a great railroad and I miss it.

And they competed with a couple of heavy hitters, too, PRR and NYC. And still managed to be a contender. And from my reading and studying of NKP, their time table was pretty tight, and second to none.

I model NKP and sure wouldn't trade roads. In fact I model NKP, Wabash, C&O, NYC, PRR, ans Monon since all ran pretty close to home. A fictitious union of all roads. Such towns, in Indiana, as Peru, Elkhart, New Haven(Fort Wayne), Muncie, Lafayette, Richmond, Sweetser(Sweetser Switch), and even Goodman Yard in Marion, all were a integral part of the lines. And Gas City(Harrisburg) with its gas boom brought much rail traffic to the area.

When I was growing up, there were no less than 15 depots in the area. Today only 4 are left.

I really like the Berkshires, the PA's, E's, early high nose Geeps, and the F-units. And let's not forget the days of the caboose.

Bob

For me The Union Pacific's Big Blows and U50's and that era too!

i saw one of these engines the other day coming across tower 55 in ft worth, tx. it was still in UP colors, the engine was last in the lash up, engine was running but not online. i have no clue where it was going but it headed north on the choctaw sub

You mean a U50 like this?

1433.1067736420.jpg

Had to be something else. These were all traded in to GE for parts in 1973-1974 and the last three were sold for scrap in 1977. Hasn't been one of those on the rails for over 30 years now.

You mean a U50 like this?

1433.1067736420.jpg

Had to be something else. These were all traded in to GE for parts in 1973-1974 and the last three were sold for scrap in 1977. Hasn't been one of those on the rails for over 30 years now.

yes sir, it was exactly like this, i wish i had a pic of it. engine sounded horrible, maybe first crank up in a long time? bit it was idling the whole time, it wasnt mu'd but it was a once in a lifetime experience, i really wish i would of took a pic of it. i was standing at TRE's T&P station when a UP manifest pulled up and stopped 3 tracks away from the platform and thats one of the engines that stopped right across from the platform

Back