Dave's Layout v. 4.0

I just recently started frequenting this forum, and this is the first time I have come across your build thread. It's very impressive!! I wasn't able to get plaster to do what I wanted it to do except to cash rocks in molds. Perhaps Hydrocal is better for that. I'm also very impressed with people like you who can build the layout using wood. I ended up using foam boards, which doesn't require as much skills as fabricating with wood.

I gotta admit, at first I thought your name was Logan D Sawman, but now I realize that you're really good with logs and saws. 😁

I just recently started frequenting this forum, and this is the first time I have come across your build thread. It's very impressive!! I wasn't able to get plaster to do what I wanted it to do except to cash rocks in molds. Perhaps Hydrocal is better for that. I'm also very impressed with people like you who can build the layout using wood. I ended up using foam boards, which doesn't require as much skills as fabricating with wood.

I gotta admit, at first I thought your name was Logan D Sawman, but now I realize that you're really good with logs and saws. 😁
I have been called Logan D Sawman by several people, and I like the ring of it.

Thanks for the compliments, and to me, foam is more difficult than wood!

Dave LASM

You're making great progress Dave. I hadn't realized you were at the scenery point already.

Thanks, Curt--

I am going around and doing scenery as track is being laid. I think nearly 1/3 of the track is down.

This is so I can ballast and transition track bed to the landscape.

I have never done a layout like this, using aluminum window screen and hydrocal.

I am really sold on this method. The hydrocal actually is as much structural as visual.

Thanks for looking, Curt.

Dave LASM

Here to report the weekend work went well! Got the intended work done and did not get too sidetracked, here are the pics:

IMG_2012.JPG

(above) the before pic, I applied ballast in spots to hold the track in place while other work is done. Pins are still in as well.

IMG_2013.JPG

(above) Some of the same area after hydrocal is applied. This stuff gets really hard fast

(below) the easy Atlas tank getting it's new home warmed up. Planning on painting black/brown, dull, also have to put weights on and figure how the inside will be finished, probably a false bottom and visible water. This tank will not have a roof so it matches the prototype.

IMG_2016.JPG

The Atlas tank is a fine plastic kit and when painted makes an excellent background. I see the switch stand got bent.

IMG_2019.JPG

Voila - really getting there. When the new plaster is painted, should make a big impact. Glad I kept the closet operational, also have a track unaffected by the lift out

Comments are welcome, thanks for looking Dave LASM

Thanks for all the comments above, I got some paint on last eve, also played with trucks a little:

IMG_2021.JPG

The blue pickup is on a road. There will be a quarry building on the new pad between the trucks (above)

IMG_2023.JPG

Here is another view. Not totally sure what will go in the foreground. The terrain does not show up well, but ground slopes up towards track and facia, with a pretty flat area inbetween

IMG_2024.JPG

just another shot of the sandstone rock face.

Thanks for looking!!!!

Dave LASM

Weekends progress, got the inner loop connected and some ballasting done, also a major cleanup job:

Area before cleanup (Friday)

IMG_2025.JPG

Area afterwords:

IMG_2029.JPG

Area with clean desk:

IMG_2034.JPG

close up Groningen end:

IMG_2035.JPG

and lastly, the Wyoming end:

IMG_2036.JPG

There is a little more track work to do, as well as lots of plastering

THANKS for looking!!!!!!!!

Dave LASM

THANKS for looking and likes all, last weekend was a good one and much more progress made.

I was doing research on quarrying and found some images which helped me create an active face where they are taking the sandstone out, I modeled it with the tin foil form and used a small chunk of wood with grain in it to get the texture, here are a couple views of it before paint:

IMG_2038.JPG

I used the hydrocal and it blended in well with the existing rock work. I also finished all the hydrocal between Groningen and the feed mill:

IMG_2039.JPG

Also I like to do some landscaping as I go so I can see what things are going to look like, got this track glued down and most of the ballast:

IMG_2040.JPG

The sawmill is going on the left, the new vegetation on the right one little area. I wanted to get working on the road but there just were not enough hours. I can get behind the table on the far left so that area is pretty easy to work

IMG_2042.JPG

I was putting off the backside of the quarrie area, that is now done and ready for paint and vegetation

The sawmill goes in the big flat area in the foreground.

Thanks for looking and feel free to comment!!

Dave LASM

It was a good weekend in the train room, have been anxious to get the road between Groningen and the Feed mill done, have been prepping for it with the Hydrocal placement, have a first shot showing about half done, also some of the work I am doing with scenery for the quarry:

IMG_2046.JPG

above - the road is about half done, coming up to the track. In the foreground sandstone chunks will be used in the retaining wall

IMG_2048.JPG

Here is a different view, the retaining wall for the road is roughed in. I used adhesive caulk between those chunks (above)

IMG_2050.JPG

above, here the road goes all the way, also put in a dead and half dead tree, made a primitive crossing and did some more vegetation

IMG_2051.JPG

Finally, end of the day Sunday. Got another one of my trucks out of storage. Ready for the next area!!

THANKS for looking and any comments

Dave LASM

Back