Dave's Layout v. 4.0

The tracks are parallel until they diverge. Refer to this photo for the prototype:
Thanks!
I have a similar spot in my layout where two tracks run together. When I put them down, I intentionally eyeballed the parallel-ness of the two. I like the way it looks when one train is sitting there and the other runs by - the gaps between the two are not consistent yet not exaggerated. I realize that the prototype uses gauges to ensure even spacing along the entire route, but I just think it looks cool when it's not absolutely perfect.

Anyway, sorry to butt into the thread. I'm looking forward to seeing the scenery come together!

Good morning and thanks for looking, Here is my first experience with Hydrocal:

First the screen got attached, I used the Hot Glue Gun (until I ran out of glue sticks, then resorted to the stapler

IMG_1957.JPG

I am working in the bottom left area, attached the screen to edging, track base

IMG_1959.JPG

Here I am about half done putting on the Hydrocal. This stuff starts a little watery then gradually gets thicker and thicker. After a few batches I mixed up more small batches

IMG_1963.JPG

(above) this is Sunday afternoon. Started Saturday AM and got this much pretty much done.

Hydrocal - makes a tough shell, sets up fast, gets really hard. Can be shaped some after it is hard with sandpaper or a scraper.

I mixes 1/2 c water with 1 1/4 c hydrocal to get the mixture

Thanks for looking ! Dave LASM

Great thread, thanks for sharing your work.

Not having enough time or the energy to get to work on my own layout, I greatly appreciate your work. Not to mention I'm learning along the way!

You are a great craftsmen and I love that you repurpose most everything.

Thanks again Dave!

Thanks Louis, when a person grows up on very limited resources those habits can really get ingrained.

Here are a couple more photos, this is from the other side showing both the screen before Hydrocal,

IMG_1966.JPG

(above) I have all the tracks on a different grade, am working from left to right and back to front

IMG_1965.JPG

The sandstone quarry face will go here. The picture I am holding up shows the face they are working, also some derricks. Some of this will fit in the space in the foreground.

Thanks for looking Dave LASM

Dave, limited resources, great way to put it!

I had limited resources growing up. I think those old habits are blessings. "Waste not, want not"

People often see any kind of suffering as a disadvantage or even a punishment. I believe suffering can be a gift if we learn from it.

I try not to take anything for granted.

Thanks again for sharing your work!

Thanks for comments and views, made a lot of progress on the layout cause I had 4 days to work

Painted and applied more hydrocal, put down a bunch of ground cover, and tested the track:

IMG_1978.JPG

above - materials for ground cover. Quarry face in the background in progress

IMG_1981.JPG

notice all the screen is done up to the feed mill, finished a lot of ballast, also got some ground cover down.

I am really sold on the hydrocal. It sets up so hard and quick, also does not crack when it dries. It is a pain to mix, however, and it sometimes hardens before I get it all (the batch) in place before it gets to hard. By the time I am done with the layout, I will be an expert

Thanks for looking, Dave LASM

Spent a lot of time in the train room this weekend. I have a hard time tearing myself away to post, so it all comes on Monday

I added a lot of vegetation on the left side

IMG_1987.JPG

here is a closeup

20220227_200130.jpg

also got more track laid (below)

IMG_1990.JPG

Just about ready to connect Groningen to Wyoming through the quarry area. The bottom track that dead ends will be where the engine house goes, this is where they had it in the real Quarry.

The quarry is the hill with some tan paint on it. That is getting reworked, so far just roughed it in to see if I am on the right track.

Thanks for looking, Dave

Its my weekly update, thanks to all who viewed and liked my stuff.

Made tons of progress on the hydrocal. Learned to measure exact, in small batches. 4 oz water in my cool whip container, then slowly sprinkle in the hydrocal, stirring at the end.

Before all is dissolved, walking over to layout. Still stirring, now it is a thickening soup. Pour over base, spreading over the area to work. Is stiffening, now use the rubber scraper to smooth out before hard. This is where slight deviations in measuring show up. If it is a little thin, no problem, a little thick and I am in trouble because hardening to fast.

IMG_1996.JPG

Road goes where cereal boxea are. Used hot glue gun to put down paper. Pour thick soup hydrocal right over paper, smooth with rubber scraper and fingers (if consistency is not too wet)

Here the road got pencilled in, also getting the rock face attached to the old face

IMG_1997.JPG

Wasn't planning a road here, but it turned out to be the logical place because of the existing one in Groningen (above)

IMG_2000.JPG

here most of the hydrocal is down (above)

IMG_2002.JPG

End of the weekend. Lots of progress, feels good. Just about ready to run trains from Groningen to Wyoming.

Thanks for Looking!!!!!

Dave LASM

Thanks for watching my thread, Gary; I have a rare mid week update cause I got an hour in the train room last night. I was looking for a piece of sandstone in the car port, and found a nice chunk.

I was going to use it as a guide to mix colors, however found I was able to make paint from the clay and fine particles that were loosely adhered:

IMG_2007.JPG

Here I just started putting a little on the hydrocal to see what happens. It is the fine clay and sand particles adhering to a piece of native sandstone

IMG_2008.JPG

(above) shows the rock. I am using a coarse fibre brush and some water to loosen it. I tried scraping it but found loose particles stuck on. This is the same rock which was mined here.

Going slow so I don't have to try to erase any.

IMG_2009.JPG

Here I have put a layer down. Also added a little India ink to the formula in a couple spots. Will be reworking the rock pile on the right.

(below) this shot is from my phone camera, shows it somewhat darker and brighter.

20220308_204526.jpg

Not sure if I am done or not? The brown will be vegetation, will also be setting up derricks and making a whole scene here. Back a page there is a post showing the prototype quarry and scene, which is being condensed.

Thanks for looking,

I welcome tips on getting the quarry right. Wonder if it is worthwhile going further with the rock face. I have seen lots of times rock faces being "overdone" which I would very much like to avoid.

Dave LASM

Chris, thanks for the info, I was actually thinking of making it darker.

The actual color is a lot dependant on the lighting, the last two pics are taken from different cameras but exact same scene.

Also notice the pics look different on my samsung galaxy than on my hp laptop.

Thinking about it more, the Sandstone school, made of native Sandstone, has more of a yellow appearance.

The rock I used as the source is the exact rock that was quarried, so the color should be perfect--

Would like the appearance to be.

Back