Dave's Layout v. 4.0

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.

BigGRacing

Aka. Gary Russell
56A52F57-3899-46F8-8C29-E583BBC2A72C.png

logandsawman

What beautiful craftsmanship !
Dave, did you have a plan when you built the depot or a template of some sort? My goal is to also build the old Windsor Junction depot where we used to catch the train outside of Halifax. Very similar to your early era depot.

Hi Gary,

I wish I would have had a plan. I scaled out the building using several photographs from different angles.

Here is the video I made showing how I made the model:

hope this helps! Dave

logandsawman

I am figuring out how to get some more buildings into the Wyoming Depot part of the plan I located this old photograph which shows a partial angle with the old Depot and also a few buildings across the main rod (which was US Highway 61 while I was growing up).

Photo showing the area during the time period:

Capture7.PNG

The depot, crex warehouse buildings are done and appear in a previous post just above. The buildings right across the street, I suppose those could go against the wall if the depot was placed fairly closely to the wall.

This is located at the bottom of the layout.

I am thinking it would look something like this:

Wyoming businesses.PNG

It would be nice to figure this out in advance. I wonder how hard it would be to draw/paint them in?

Dave

logandsawman

I got to the rebuilding of the primary locomotive of the layout, NP 328. It was in service from about 1910 through the end of my modelling era (1939).

The prototype of the engine, followed by the Varney "Casey Jones" model of similar design. Came closest in overall appearance and detail.

328-TF turntable.PNG

The beginning of my layout is set near this location, with 328 being the primary loco used on this linee.

Here is the model, in the disassembly

train5.jpg

There is a lot of gunk to clean off also the paint seems really thick that is on there.

train4.jpg

The wheel configuration is similar, as the domes, stack, whistle, bell, and light. The cab even extends back over the tender some, and the tender is designed the same as well. No small window in front of the cab, however.

I will paint, decal, and reassemble.

It looks like the house will be ready the middle of March, and the benchwork will commence after the walls are painted.

more later, Dave LASM

logandsawman

I made a lot of progress on this locomotive project, have it painted and reassembled.

Incidentally, I purchased the loco from Ebay for $50 plus $12 s & h.

Upon close inspection I have noticed although the fine details are lacking, the overall big picture items match the prototype.

You will notice the bell is missing, it is still in the repair shop. I do have the original one and am currently applying epoxy. The front coupler still needs work, and I am contemplating replacing the pilot as well. Photographs show a couple different styles in use. Also, a couple different tenders.

a 21.jpg

This is just the paint and dull coat. The model is not plastic but some kind of iron or steel. The tender is black died plastic which I painted.

a 22.jpg

This is a nice sturdy model, however. I feel the details are adequate. I can still paint in the marker lights.

a 23.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Dave LASM

Last edited:

logandsawman

Well I finally have some progress on the new layout, today we installed the lighting and the train room is officially ready for the layout:

Here is the new space, it is 12 x 12 and the modules and track will go in here. It is planned out on the floor for now, the next step is to cut out and assemble the benchwork:

train room before benchwork.JPG

Here is half the room, the other half is the same with entrance door. The floor has a track plan taped out, the modules were used and curves also planned, with 22" to 36" radius.

Lighting completedb.JPG

We just finished the lighting. We mainly picked it out for looks also we could direct the lights. It only took a couple hours and my wife helped at the end, pretty much no way for a person to do alone.

My wife did all the painting and I really appreciate that!!! I am at work full time so she is helping a lot.

I have some 7/16" OSB (oriented strand board) left over from the car port project and will be using that for the surface, plus have 15 pounds of hydrocal for terrain, maybe use sculptamold also.

In the mean time I have a new job (been there 6 months) and we are in our new home (got here in March) and the train room was the last thing!!!

Look forward to catching up a little.

Dave (LASM)

logandsawman

Dave good to see you back at it!
Train room is looking good, the door makes me think of you wearing brown pants with a blue shirt… where’s Dave he was here just a second ago… 😆
I am back for the new year (a coincidence). Finally got a ton of stuff wrapped up with a new job and moving and getting our new place set up so now can spend time in the train room. I feel to be the most productive if I am (maybe a little overboard) focused.

The blue is for the sky (clouds will be painted on, maybe scenery in places) and the brown, terrain. However the benchwork will be about 5" above the demarkation and several inches away from the wall at the closest. The height will be 48".

Dave

logandsawman

Thanks for the comments, I still am waffling as to whether to move the design to more of around the room as opposed to more of a doughnut shape in more the center of the room, keeping both doors fully functioning. The closet door that the view faces only has to be accessible sporadically, so now thinking of moving the track up against that wall and having a lift out section where the door is.

Train room layout 1.JPG

You cane see tape on the floor where the track will go and also the end of the modules. This next photo will help visualize the layout:

project reduced 2.png

The green line is the mainline, red is passing siding. One tan track is the team track for Groningen, the inside tan track goes to the quarry (inset) scene. I am looking and thinking about moving the top track against the wall and putting some sort of lift out section, moving the Wyoming module right.

This will be on legs and elevated at 48".

This is where I decide because my next step is to cut the plywood.

Dave

logandsawman

Hi Big G,

Thanks for the comments, the inset photo is a portion of the quarry. I will include the entire photo and you will get a better perspective:

Sandstone quarry circ 1910.jpg

This is the quarry near Sandstone MN taken about 1910, from the Minnesota Historical Society. It is a two stall engine house in the bottom left, I will make a one stall using the same design. Maybe one other outbuilding, but a portion of the stone face and a spur for the mining area will be condensed into the area.

I am going with your suggestion in the back wall, with the lift out. I will maintain the other end so three or so people can stand in the doorway. There also is a large window there. It may show up in a later photo.

So generally, I will be making a 24" wide cockeyed doughnut around the room with 30" radius corners. Here is a new rough in:
Layout modified resized.png

I realize the perspective is skewed, here is a rough plan view:

plan view.jpg

Thanks for looking and your comments!!! Hope to begin cutting the waferboard tomorrow.

Dave

logandsawman

Thanks, Gary... here are some pictures of the table top just about ready to assemble in the train room, it is two halves constructed outside on the nice, clean frozen snow.

Here is what it looked like this morning when I started:

IMG_1868.JPG

The radius of the perimeter is 30", and the other line is just for future reference

These are leftover pieces from my Car port I built a couple months ago.

IMG_1869.JPG

The room is 10' 9 1/2" wide and 12' 6" long, I am making the table 10 x 12. Here I am figiuring out the pieces. The temp is about 0 Fahrenheit.

Here the perimeter is pieced in and I used up all my waferboard (OSB). I used 1 x 6, which are screwed on the bottom with sheet rock screws.

IMG_1870.JPG

This should fit neatly in the room with a little space to spare all around. It is in two halves, will be stored in the garden shed until next saturday, probably won't do much in the meantime.

IMG_1871.JPG

Boom! Two halves to store in the garden shed. Done just before sunset.

Thanks for looking!!

Dave

logandsawman

As promised I got the tabletop completed and has been transferred from the outdoor storage to the train room. I built it in two halves because I am trying to keep the new room relatively clean, minimizing the amount of sawdust I make there.

Here is a photo from the doorway:

IMG_1872.JPG

There will be a lift out where the closet door is

IMG_1875.JPG

Here is a view from below. The legs will all get a brace at 90 degrees. There will also be a smaller leg attached by the lift out.

An unexpected positive byproduct of building it with a few inches clearance all around is I can have more options for positioning.

Next will be adding a leg and supports, cutting the liftout, then begin placing the modules and then track.

Thanks for looking,

Dave LASM

NYC_George

Dave looks like all your preplanning is starting to payoff. I see you went with the 48" higher than normal height for layouts. Why 48" and not just go to 5'? Eye height?
George

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

ModelRailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.