Dave's Layout v. 4.0

Well, pretty much completed the wood truss bridge, designed after the St. Croix river crossing between Rush City, MN and Grantsburg, WI.

The real line connecting these towns was removed decades ago, however remnants of the original footings can still be seen.

IMG_2210.JPG

(above) some of the parts, laying out the track. The yardstick is the exact width of HO scale ties

(below) laid out with Douglas fir stringers under track, 2' wide walkway along track for maintenance

IMG_2211.JPG

Here is fitting prior to glueing the trusses. Pretty close, will require a little shaving (below)

IMG_2213.JPG

Here are a couple other views:

IMG_2217.JPG

The prototype was also wood trusses, although had 3 long sections and one short section.

IMG_2219.JPG

next will be finishing track work, scenery

THANKS for looking, Dave LASM

Well, pretty much completed the wood truss bridge, designed after the St. Croix river crossing between Rush City, MN and Grantsburg, WI.

The real line connecting these towns was removed decades ago, however remnants of the original footings can still be seen.

View attachment 146692

(above) some of the parts, laying out the track. The yardstick is the exact width of HO scale ties

(below) laid out with Douglas fir stringers under track, 2' wide walkway along track for maintenance

View attachment 146693

Here is fitting prior to glueing the trusses. Pretty close, will require a little shaving (below)

View attachment 146694

Here are a couple other views:

View attachment 146695

The prototype was also wood trusses, although had 3 long sections and one short section.

View attachment 146696

next will be finishing track work, scenery

THANKS for looking, Dave LASM
Nice compression of the bridge sections.

Well done

I was able to connect up a major section of track, get the ballasting done, and also glue down a couple buildings over the weekend

Here is how it started:

IMG_2221.JPG

I had to pull up some of the track by the bridge to get it to line up correctly (above), also all buildings just sit there, not attached except in the far left (pump house for water tank) (above)

IMG_2222.JPG

The track got glued down, started putting some of the grass and brush down. I am using the glue water mixture, first brushed on using coarse nylon brush, then dropped on where foam ground cover was not affixed (above)

IMG_2223.JPG

(above) way more ground cover put down, also the freight house got the parking area done. The little abandoned bank building still needs glass

IMG_2224.JPG

(above) the little red cabin - used on the last layout as well - got gravel, also the small abandoned box car (narrow gauge) got glued in.

Last night I also finished most of the little road, between the buildings.

Thats it for now,

Thanks for looking, leave a comment!

Dave LASM

Thanks, Curt

I am using the brush to wet down the hydrocal, which was painted. Then I sprinkle the landscape material or sifted dry sand

After the ground cover is down, use the eyedropper to direct the glue/water mixture to any dry spots, careful not to supersaturate the area or cause any movement of the ground foam. I usually add more ground cover materials in successive steps, until I like tha way it looks.

I do not use a mist bottle cause it is too messy for me.

I found that if I don't do the pre treatment the ground covers move around in funny ways.

I am now mixing my own glue, adding Dawn for dishes and alcohol.

However, the Woodland Scenics scenic cement does store better than my home made one.

Dave, I've started brushing straight Elmer's on the surface then I sprinkle the ground cover on that and pat it down and leave it to dry. After it's dry vacuum up the loose ground cover then re-add that material to the container. I think the color is better and it's softer than when you glue it down with thinned glue.

I started working my around the layout towards the sawmill, as I have all the buildings done that go there. I staged them but will have to put down a little more hydrocal to get a nice level base. Plan on getting the sawmill area landscaped and buildings fit in as my next goal:

IMG_2228.JPG

I was glueing stuff down last night, got more ballast done, also staged some buildings (above)

IMG_2231.JPG

The three houses are going about where you see them, as well as the sawmill office.

Thanks for looking, Dave

That area will be really nice. I bet you have a ton of details you're going to add.
I started putting out some of my favorite people elsewhere, will put some pics on the Coffee Shop tomorrow.

In this area will be a rough gravel road also an old truck or two. I have some cool industrial type lights on poles which will fit the era that also will be going by the sawmill so they can work during those long winter nights here in Minnesota. I don't think I will be lighting any interiors, though.

I have a couple bear sets, one grizzly, and also the moma and cubs, one of them may go over here somewhere.

I had a great weekend working on the layout, put scenery down in the whole area around the sawmill, also filled in some by the quarry

From the pics below realize how crooked the lights are on the OshKosh kerosene truck, gonna have to fix it:

(surprised, however, that unpacked this fragile model and it wasn't broken anywhere.)

IMG_2248.JPG

Still a lot to do on the hill face next to the quarry, however track work is done in this area

Little bit different view, shows the group of houses:

IMG_2247.JPG

Will be adding the infeed ramp for the sawmill and putting some gravel around the office building, then leaving any other details for later.

I have a little track work left on the other side of the layout, however I found out I am about 2' short of flex track. BOO HOO, put in an order this morning wont be here for a week so I will be getting as much done as possible then waiting to complete the track work.

Got the fascia painted and all wires hooked up, just need to finish a section of track and clean everything:

IMG_2276.JPG

On the far left I moved the track over so the Wyoming depot will fit in better. Still just these tracks to connect to the bridge. I really got the desk cleaned up

IMG_2277.JPG

Here is the painted fascia and elec hook up for the walk around throttle by GML. I have 3 sockets and 2 walk around units.

Thanks for looking!!

Dave LASM

Back