CoffeeShop XXXVII-5/1/2013

Good morning. It's 76° with 95% humidity. It will be cloudy with a fiar chance of rain. The high will be 90°.
pcloudy-1.jpg
cond40.jpg

Well today is the big day. There will be people coming and going all day. Tonight my father and his loving bride with be getting hitched in my nieces back yard in almost the same location my niece and her husband were wed. The lake looks much better as it has water in it this time. I'll try and get some photos of the newly married couple. Owing to the heat and humidity here there will be at least two swamp coolers on the property. The reception will be held on the terrace beside the pool.

There will be no layout work today owing to the above family matter.

th_PIC_0029.jpg

These days Florence is not a a place most people want to be (prison). I had a young kid working for me a few years back who now resides there. Good kid, from Honduras (actually had a greencard, believe it or not) and he married a US citizen, then his life fell apart and he got messed up with some bad stuff. It's a shame. I am in Cave Creek. I actually grew up on that side of the country, Michigan to be exact.

Yeah, my dad was a guard at the prison. Never talked about work. Ever. Looking back, I'm thankful he didn't!

So it seems we high-fived it. :) I left that area back in '96 and have been back only twice for visits. Finally convienced my mom to retire and move out here. Plus she brought all my model railroad stuff she had stored!

I actually commuted between here and Telluride, CO for a few years
I lived in a small yet busy ski town ten minutes away from Aspen, Co. for 27 years. I went jeeping and camping down to Telluride and Ouray a couple times. I four wheeled to the top of Imogene pass from Ouray one day. I parked near the top and watched others slowly bump and bounce on the narrow rough rocky ledges. There are old mine relics everywhere up around there. One particularly large abandonment was on a very steep slope with ore cars still sitting on narrow tracks above massive tailings piles. Great ideas for a layout. There are hundreds of similar spectacular sites in the silverton, ouray, and telluride area.

I got out my Z80 master disk today and tested the Apple's on board CP/M. It's working fine. Went to my fathers place and looked at the preparations taking place there then came back home. I'll be going back at 5pm.

Now that I've got a decent amount of rolling stock with some older cars needing TLC.....I think it might be wise to order a ten pair bulk pack of microtrains roller bearing trucks with short extension RDA couplers. Plus the same amount of MTL 1015 universal body mount couplers would round out the inventory nicely and work on locomotives as well. I used to be like a deer caught in the headlights, stunned and overwhelmed by too many different models of trucks and couplers....not knowing which to choose. Lately I'm so up to speed on this.....I'm close to being a consultant. :cool:

Last edited by a moderator:
Stoker, I lived in Mesa from '84-'89. Went back once in '96 to ride the El Tour de Tucson. I couldn't get over how much things had changed and I couldn't even begin to imagine how much more since then. I really liked it though, especially the part about not having to shovel sunshine!

Well we had a very nice back yard wedding. It was a very good turnout. I had intended to get some photos for myself but that was not to be. My father had me busy taking photos with his Wal-Mart throw away specials. We had a very good reception and dinner afterward. My sister and I were busy witnessing the documents for a while but that was finally done.

In other news I did some work on the Apple today. I started it up with my Z80 disk but it wasn't going to start up in CP/M. I had to pull the Z80 chip and cleaned the legs and sockets then put it back in and did the startup again and now it works. I have a bunch of CP/M programs somewhere. That gotta be in the closet someplace.

Well I'm tired and it's time to call it a night. See y'all tomorrow.

P1012005.jpg

Good Morning! from Tipton IN.

It's Friday, June 21, 2013

anim_coffee.png

NS6920SD60Eontrain255atMPD-293121812a.png

:cool:

Tipton.gif

Temperature in TIPTON IN

Good Morning! Happy Friday! Happy First day of Summer!

It's 64° and clear with a light breeze from the Northwest. Going up to 80° or so today. Looks like we will be working in to our annual two week dry spell, with no storms on the horizon. That being said, I need to finish the yard work, and begin painting the trim around the windows. Who said one doesn't have to work once retired?

Today's the last day of school here in Howell. The Regional Highschool district finishes next Tuesday. Poor kids, in another week, the "Back to School promotions will begin:eek:

I hope everyone enjoys their summer weekend. I intend to:).

Joe

Well, today is the first day of therapy for my sister-in-law's husband. He had a small stroke Saturday and got out of the hospital Wednesday. He hasn't been cleared to drive yet so my wife and I are taking him. He was VERY lucky, the stroke was fairly small and about the only lingering symptoms are a little tingling on his right side and a little short term memory loss. The doctors expect him to make a full recovery.

PAY ATTENTION FOLKS!!! The doctors attribute this to sleep apnea. He was diagnosed with it and has a C-Pap machine. Only one problem....................he didn't use the C-Pap because it was a little uncomfortable. Well, how uncomfortable is a stroke? Or heart attack? Or being in a car wreck because of falling asleep? Or, just not waking up? All of this is a possibility with untreated sleep apnea.

I've used a C-Pap for 6 or 7 years and it's a love/hate relationship. It will help keep you alive. My brother-in-law says he will use his from now on.

Jeffery,
Glad to hear the shindig went down okay! Drama at weddings is just beyond aggravating :)

As for your 'apple'... I assume you're talking about an older computer?

As for your 'apple'... I assume you're talking about an older computer?

Indeed I am. A 1982 vintage Apple IIe.

Good morning. It's 76° with 81% humidity. The heat index is 90°. The high today will be 92°.
pcloudy-1.jpg
cond20.jpg

There's no layout work scheduled for today. This will be mostly a day of rest for me. There are several movies on the DVR that I want to watch. 'White hunter, black heart' is one of them. Directed and produced by and starring Clint Eastwood. It's a thinly disguised account of a writers experiences working with John Huston while he made the film The African Queen, which was shot on location in Africa at a time when location shoots outside of the United States for American films were very rare. I may sort out some things in the closet later. It needs a good rummaging through as there's probably a lot of junk in there I don't need. I don't want to end up with Fibber McGee's closet.

DSCN3643.jpg

Holy cow man. I remember helping my cousin install a 128k 'Static RAM' board on a IIe. Curious, but is this a 'just for the hallibut' project or do you have a specific goal?

Old computers is a hobby of mine. I've messed with IBM's, Tandy's, Commodore's, Atari's and several other types. Did you know that at one time Commodore made an IBM compatible? The Commodore Colt. It looked very much like the IBM XT that was out at the time. The Apple II's are my favorite though. For one thing there's a great availability of parts.

Just got toyota back from shop with a fresh tune-up.....145,000 miles. When I took it in it was running soooo bad. But now it's like new again. New plugs, plug wires, coil-less ignition modules, PCV valve, fuel filter. Really happy with the work. Photo is a couple years old. A little rust now above the rear wheels.

*****EDIT*****

I really hate how when I clean house in my photobucket account....all the photos in my posts un-intentionally disappear. Maybe I can change a setting to fix that.

56f70974-3f80-4d90-b3d8-ccbe984274a6_zps665f3c14.png

Spent the day working in the garage. Washed the 30+ year old fleet of Tonka Trucks and Earth Movers, let them sun dry and tomorrow will store them in new containers until the grand daughter is big enough to play with them with her dad and grand dad :).

Lining up my projects for next week, I have two rockers to repaint, a high chair to sand and stain, and need to replace some weather beaten trim on the porch.

Have a good evening.

joe

Back