Coffee XXXII Apr. 14th

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good morning! It's sunny and summer like here in central ohio......so it's not gonna be cold or anything like that today. Enjoyed your video Jeffrey. Your layout is pretty decent size with a nice background mural.

Mike

good afternoon . its about 90* here & we just got a beastly rain storm that blew thru in about 10 mins , just hanging out today cleaning up the little abod :D:D

Enjoyed your video Jeffrey. Your layout is pretty decent size with a nice background mural.
Thanks. I've gotten quite a bit onto the layout and still working on it. It's seven feet, eight inches wide and is a 'U' shape with the left leg longer than the other. The left side is ten feet long while the right side is six and a half feet. The center comes out about three and a half feet. The room is seven feet, eight inches wide by thirteen feet long. So you can see it takes up most of the room. I would've liked to make the layout bigger but I needed room for the kitchen cabinet and sink, microwave, fridge and front door. All curves are 18" radius, turnouts are #4 (5) and #5 (1). All track is Bachmann nickel silver EZ-Track with Woodland Scenics ballast. Some people think it's regular sectional track on cork even when they see it in person. Busses are two and feeders are six feet apart.

Good morning from Sunny Central Calif,
Hello Flo & Francine, how are you both doing? I'll have one of your big Blueberry flapjacks, some Grapefruit juice and coffee, thanks. Oh I understand Rex is buying if he around?

It feels like it's about 80* out but lets see what Wunderground weather says ?
http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/getForecast?query=zmw:93614.1.99999

> >

I almost didn't get out into the attached garage to do much of any work dealing with the layout. What I did take a closer look at was my band saw table plate that surounds the blade, which has too large an opening to cut ties for switches from PC board so it looks like I'm going to and make another clear plastic over lay to provide a tighter fit on either side of the blade and provide more of a base with cutting smaller strips of wood or in this case PC board.

Time to get in touch with my supplier for a customer so I'll talk with you later.

Have a good day.

Vernon Park road and 166 are one and the same. The unmarked road going to the right is an old logging road that's been closed for many years. I'm on 167, also called Cable loop or Cabin Logs depending on what map you're looking at. Some of the older maps were based on the surveys for Sundown and show roads that never existed. Indeed, some of them are under water as the lake didn't exist when those old maps were made. One of the old maps that was printed back in the 40's shows a road that goes right through the middle of my parents yard. Back then that was part of a proposed housing district called Trammel Acres. It never came to fruition.

Thanks for the description Jeffrey, I see Cable Loop very clearly on the map I'm looking at. I noticed Cable Loop before but thought maybe you lived farther up Vernon Park Rd. Thanks, that was interesting alright.

What's interesting is finding your way through that maze of roads. Even the newest maps show some roads that aren't there. That's because they're made using what's on file and believe it or not some of those non-existent roads are listed as existing. Does anybody go and check? No.

good afternoon . its about 90* here & we just got a beastly rain storm that blew thru in about 10 mins , just hanging out today cleaning up the little abod :D:D

Welcome to Florida in June. May is the driest month, June is the wettest. It can get --interesting.

I got two steamers in the mail today. Didn't cost me anything as they both need extensive work. Both are Rivarossi. The 4-8-4 is a wreck. The drive rod pins fell out of one side when I put power to the wheels to check the motor. The motor runs but the drive is a mess as is the body. The Y6B is in good shape but the motor is toast. I may look to see if I can use the motor in the 4-8-4 to remotor the Y6B.

P1011099.jpg

P1011105.jpg

Time for me to call it a night. Already had the Y6B apart on a preliminary exam. The motor is not only dead, it's VERY dead. I have an old Rivarossi U25C chassis floating around here somewhere that has a fairly descent motor. I may be able to change them out. Failing that the motor from the 4-8-4 may work in it or I may shoehorn in a can motor. I have the Y6B back together for now. I don't to risk scattering parts around. While I was working on it I suddenly remembered why I quit fooling around with steamers. They're too danged hard to work on with numb hands! See y'all tomorrow.

P1011108.jpg

I got two steamers in the mail today. Didn't cost me anything as they both need extensive work. Both are Rivarossi. The 4-8-4 is a wreck. The drive rod pins fell out of one side when I put power to the wheels to check the motor. The motor runs but the drive is a mess as is the body. The Y6B is in good shape but the motor is toast. I may look to see if I can use the motor in the 4-8-4 to remotor the Y6B.

P1011105.jpg

That's quite some loco alright, a 2-8-8-2, when does the Coal Drag start. I really like the articulated loco's but the earlier 2-4-4-2 is about as big as I'd like to go.

Last edited by a moderator:
What's interesting is finding your way through that maze of roads. Even the newest maps show some roads that aren't there. That's because they're made using what's on file and believe it or not some of those non-existent roads are listed as existing. Does anybody go and check? No.

The reason nobody goes and checks is quite simple Jeffrey. 'There's No Need for them To do that'. *They Know They Are Wright to begin with*!!:rolleyes:

How does the old saying go, 'Don't bother me with the facts, my mind is already made Up'! Does it remind you of others who are supposed to be in the KNOW and don't know anything??
:eek:

Good morning folks.

It's already 75 and heading to the low 90's. There's an air show here this weekend featuring the Blue Angels so at least they'll make money selling bottled water!

I have to work today and will be out of town so I'll miss the show. Oh well, I saw them practicing two days ago. They flew right over my house six or seven times. Nothing like having six fighter jets buzz your house at 500 feet!

Have a good weekend everyone.

How does the old saying go, 'Don't bother me with the facts, my mind is already made Up'! Does it remind you of others who are supposed to be in the KNOW and don't know anything?? :eek:
Don't bother me with the facts son, I've already made up my mind! Foghorn Leghorn.

I know the truth, so don't bother me with facts. Jeffrey Kluger, senior editor, Time.

The fool drones on mindlessly and learns nothing while the wise man listens and learns all. Scott Running Bear.

Good morning. It's 71°. The high will be 87°. It's mostly cloudy. There's a 40% chance of rain this morning increasing to 60% this afternoon. Locally heavy rainfall is possible.

It's been crazy here. The power went out twice last night and at least three times this morning that I know of.The last time it was out for nearly an hour. Looks like the cable company got their problem fixed. The cable service came back on when the power did for a change.

I got my new Magicjack Plus yesterday. Right now I have it plugged into a USB port. I tried running it through my modem yesterday but the modem won't see more than one device. So I have to get a router to plug it into so I can use it without the computer.

Looking at the Rivarossi Y6B I'm wondering whether I should remotor it or just use it to hold down a display shelf. I had it apart yesterday for a preliminary exam just to see what's wrong with it. Looks like just the motor. I have an old Rivarossi U25C chassis that has a motor that works and it looks like the same type. I put the loco back together last night so Murphy couldn't find a way to scatter the parts all over creation. Here's my problem. I have severe nerve damage and my hands don't work so well anymore. Tearing the loco down and putting it back together was a major chore. Handling the small parts was a terror. I have to watch what I'm doing extremely carefully as I can't feel the parts and could lose or break them quite easily. I'm seriously considering not fixing it. The problems that arose from these nerve problems were the main reason I got away from steam in the first place. I could no longer fix them without it becoming a three ring circus. I'll look at it today and judge whether I should fix it or leave it as is.

P1011338.jpg

I've got the Y6B opened up and pulled the motor out. SO far it looks promising. I still have to compare the motor to the other one I have to see if they're the same. If they are it'll be a simple change out. If not I'll have to get imaginative. I tested the motor after pulling it out and my original diagnosis stands. It's dead, dead, DEAD.

To those emailing me about doing repairs on your steamers, please stop. I don't do that kind of work. I'm working on this one because it's mine and I'm not afraid of breaking it. If I break it I haven't lost anything.

P1011109.jpg

Well somehow I knew this wasn't going to be a simple motor change out. The motor from the U25C is near identical to the one from the Y6B. However, Murphy has spoken! The shafts are different. The shaft of the Y6B's motor is rectangular and the shaft of the motor from the U25C is round. Looks like I'll be doing some filing. First though I'll tape over all the openings on the motor so no filings can get into it. Maybe I can get a running loco out of this after all.

Good luck with the remotoring job, Jeffrey. That steamer should look pretty cool running again. Kind of like a present day prototype steam preservation job!

Good Morning.....somewhere. The temperature is warmer now....with warmer later....and no rain. I had insomnia last night.....which is like deja-vu all over again because I think I had it the night before too. Need coffee therapy really bad. Need bad.......coffee good!

In theory....theory and practice are the same.....but not in practice.

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back