Coffee Shop XXXVIII-7/20/2013

In that case I hope his scenery beneath is well reinforced or those Varney's will make concrete bunker bombs look like pebbles.

There's two fishermen in a rowboat who may have a good chance to see falling trains. The Woodland Scenics water would definitely have a dent or two! I'm wondering how well the locos would hold up. The shells would be OK but the drives would likely suffer a bit. Only one of them is 'off the shelf'. The other three are kitbashed with some of the parts being unique one of kind creations.

Good morning. It's 70° with 70% humidity. The high will be 92° and will feel like 97°.
condmc-1.jpg

Well today I guess I'll drill out the headlight and portholes on the F3 then see what comes up from there. No other plans for today, yet.

DSCN1796.jpg

DSCN1669.jpg

I got the headlight and portholes drilled out. Portholes are OK. The headlight is another matter. I used a larger bit in an effort to drill out most of the blank area but the thickness of the top of the nose prevented that, therefore the hole is slightly lower than I wanted. Oh well. I can work with that. I still have to clear the holes of burrs. Later I'll see about making handrails for the rear ladders of the other F3.

I have this 14.4 volt black and decker firestorm cordless, variable speed drill/driver and 5-3/8" circular panel saw that came as a kit also with a reciprocating saw, flashlight, and two nicad batteries. The stuff is over seven years old now and has served well inspite of it being light duty home maintenance grade. I also used these at work alot doing residential property maintenance. One of the batteries finally died so I was looking at options for replacing at least the drill, saw, and batteries. After looking at new lithium powered models on amazon.com, I saw my same old 14.4 volt nicad battery today at walmart price reduced $5 down to $30. Decided to get it, only spent $30 and the old motors still seem to be going strong and I have two good batteries again. Going to be expanding the benchwork and layout so will see if they last for another project.

51XHHWN37GL._SX385_.gif

Here's your laugh for the day. Maybe a few of them. Last night I was here at the computer when I heard one of the two mousetraps in the kitchen go ka-snap. So I went to the kitchen, opened the lower cabinet door just to the left of the oven and what do I see? The tripped trap is laying on it's side and there's a mouse sitting there pretty as you please, completely unscathed happily munching on the bait. Then the little cuss looked up and grinned at me! Shades of Mouse Hunt! Right then I wished I'd had a hammer with me. That's the SECOND time that trap has sprung and there's been no mouse in it. I bet that little varmint has learned how to trip it without getting caught. I put new bait in the trap, reset it and put it back where it was. If this happens a third time I'm putting a glue trap in there. I might even put a little piece of cheese in the middle of it. The last meal for the condemned. Today it came out in the open where the cat could see it and led her on a merry chase along the base board of the great room wall to several seven foot sections of 1.5" PVC pipe standing in a corner. The mouse did a tight high speed turn between the pipes and the wall and went back in the opposite direction right between the cats legs. The cat was already going pretty fast and tried to do a fast turn on an Italian marble tile floor and totally loses control. She slides into the corner, hits the pipes and complete wipe-out! The pipes came crashing down and the cat looked like a huge bottle brush. The mouse was under a massive colonial trestle table grooming itself. I wonder how smart that little thing is.

Got the rear handrails on the polished Varney F3 today. No more handrails til I get more wire, this was .020" I believe. Might try getting something thinner next time. Maybe .018" or .015".

DSCN5079.jpg

DSCN5067.jpg

Alabama - 49 Texas A&M - 42

ROLL TIDE ROLL!
The game was even closer than the score indicated. The difference was Johnny Football threw 2 interceptions, one in the end zone and one at the Bama 27, which got run back for a touchdown. McCarron threw 4 touchdowns. I got upset when after JF on one of their touchdowns and he made the "money" sign with his hands, and no flag for unsportsmanlike conduct, TJ Yeldon after his touchdown, made the same gesture and was flagged! I wish these officials would make up their minds, or have someone make it for them. Still, all in all a great game, well worth watching!

Statistically, A&M had more plays, and more yards than Bama, but when there's two interceptions, and you get stopped before you can score, you can have more yards than the winner.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mike
I wound up with the same situation with my 14.4 volt Craftsman drill. 1 battery would run like crazy, the other would peter out after drilling 2-3 holes. Was in Sears lately and they had them on sale, for 20 buck. Right before I grabbed 1 the wife spied 1 in a shredded package. They must have used half a roll of clear tape putting the box together. But a $5.99 price tag made up for a crappy box. I bought it, charged it, and now I too have 2 good batteries!;)

Just got back from a local auction. Bought 3 lots.

Lot #1 Marx (S or O27?) battery operated set, (missing the loco) and an MRC undec Alco C420 (HO) in the original box
Lot #2 MTH Railking O scale Domino cylindrical hopper, unused in box
Lot #3 HO RS3, appears to be a MDC shell, with Athearn trucks, NS wheel sets, Sagami can motor and home made driveshafts (runs great!)

Once I got them home, I found the MRC engine had the handrails in the bottom of the box, still sealed in plastic!

Spent a whole $29.15 (including tax and buyers premium) Do ya think I spent too much??:rolleyes::cool:
543458_416769811766822_947877821_n.jpg

Right before I left, I picked up my anniversary/birthday present from my wife. It was a Key Imports Southern Railway Ms-1 2-8-2. It was one of only 87, IIRC, imported back in the 1980's. It has all the SRR standard appliances on it, so there is no need to replace any details. While it is basically a USRA Light Mike, it has those appliances that make it a SRR loco. It also has an idler gearbox and a Cannon coreless motor in it. A friend of mine ran it on his layout, for about 4ft before it quit. When I took it apart, the neoprene drive shaft, connecting the motor with the gearbox, had dry rotted over the years and had crumbled under the strain. A quick replacement with some new tubing corrected that problem, and for not being run in many, many years, without any maintenance done to it at all, this loco literally ghosted down the track. You couldn't hear it from 2' away. I think I got a goodin' and can't wait to tear down paint and decal, then install a decoder.

Ahhhh!!! One of the Thorington collection I presume? I ended up with three of his models, all Santa Fe. The 4-8-4 I've been talking about test ran at the club Thursday. It is a ghoster too! I have a 2-10-4 that has yet to be test run, and today a 2-8-0 showed up. The tubing was already shot. It crumbled and I had to get the residual chunks off with an X-acto knife. New tubing, some oil and it runs fine. That PFM stuff runs like a watch, or like an old Packard! The 2-8-0's detailing needs updating but everything else is solid. he also sent me a 4-8-4 mechanism and a 2-10-2 mechansim to fix. Quartering and out of position rods. Weekend fun! Find the bind...

Congrats on your team's victory, Cary.... Roll Tide! I still have the Bama mug that Rex gave me after the 2008 visit. Sis-in-Law gives me dirty looks when I use it in her presence - her hubby is an Auburn Alum!

Good Morning! from Tipton IN.

It's Sunday, September 15, 2013

anim_coffee.png

COFFEE_MUG.png

:cool:

Tipton.gif

Temperature in TIPTON IN

Clear again today with a high of 74. Rain possible overnight.

Lot #1 Marx (S or O27?) battery operated set, (missing the loco) and an MRC undec Alco C420 (HO) in the original box
Lot #3 HO RS3, appears to be a MDC shell, with Athearn trucks, NS wheel sets, Sagami can motor and home made driveshafts (runs great!)

Once I got them home, I found the MRC engine had the handrails in the bottom of the box, still sealed in plastic!

Spent a whole $29.15 (including tax and buyers premium) Do ya think I spent too much??:rolleyes::cool:

That wasn't bad. Every auction I've ever attended, both the auctioneer and the bidders thought all the trains were made of gold. I saw an old Tyco set, incomplete, go for $100....
If you have no use for the C420, I have a spot for it in my fleet...

Good Morning

We are having dull dull dull with a chance of afternoon showers here...high of 66 expected.

Yesterday was my getting things ready for the redo of the attic for Audrey. That meant finding even MORE junk ending up you-know-where, that's right...MY space.:mad: These extra 'things' came out of two...mmmmm....storage rooms we forgot existed up there.:confused: So, even more junk to haul off to the recyclers....

Today will be finishing off the prep and getting some supplies to start laying in a new floor up there....

Wow! Great haul there, Karl! You DEFINITELY did not spend too much.

The Marx set is technically O-27 (the cars were also available in their O-27 sets) but actually scales out about S (3/16). The 2 rail track indicates the missing loco had a clock-work drive. Love the Marx tin lithography! :D There's a similar set to yours (with the locomotive) going for $129.00 on eBay. That's a little high but I wouldn't be surprised if it sells.

Back