Coffee Shop XXXVIII-7/20/2013

Since I finally resigned myself to the fact that sanity is not a requirement in a RR enthusiast and purchased 2 MTH SD70ACe's (only because they are in MRL livery and no-one else is doing that, although next week is more than likely) against the general consensus regarding MTH. Fortunately the dark colors of MRL disguise some of the glaring differences in detail when comparing against Genesis (of which I have 4) so I can mostly live with those. The clunky great couplers will definitely go (they do provide replacements). Consisting the 2 together should be OK, whether they will with the others is yet to be seen. The major advantage MTH has in this case is the extra half pound of weight over Genesis, where they are certainly lacking in this regard.

Good Morning! from Tipton IN.

It's Thursday, September 19, 2013

anim_coffee.png

COFFEE_CREME.png

:cool:

Tipton.gif

Temperature in TIPTON IN

High in the mid-80s and cloudy with a chance of rain.
SMILEY_TRAIN.png

Good Morning!

It's 45° this morning, not quite as cool as yesterday, but still chilly.

FedEx is supposed to deliver the MAF sensor for the Monte Carlo today. FedEx usually shows up a little before 2PM, so I'll get this done today. I may also get the KILZ painted on the front door. I dislike painting, although there is really nothing to it. The time killers are prep, masking, and clean up.

Have a great day!

Joe

Good morning. It's 75° with 94% humidity. The high will be 92° but will feel like 99°.
condmc-1.jpg
with a
cond40.jpg

Think I'll take a break today. I need some rest. I got some good exercise this morning. Laying flat on my back I lifted (with my left arm) the front half of a 700+ pound mechanical bed (Craftmatic wannabe) about six inches to clear a cable for the motor that raises and lowers the head of the bed while I shifted a concrete block the frame was resting on with my right. Is that some kind of bench press? When I say I'm a strong guy I'm not joking. Actually I'm very out of shape. My arm aches a little but other than that I feel fine. Now you may be asking yourself, why is there a concrete block under the bed? Actually there's four of them. The bed was too low for my needs so I had my nephew and one of his friends put the blocks under it to raise it about six inches. It took the bigger of those two to dead lift one end while the other put the blocks under it. What does that say for their build? Well the two blocks near the head of the bed were more toward the middle. One still is but at least the bed doesn't rock anymore. If I have to I'll go under the other side and exercise my right arm.

Well enough of that. Time to get on with the day. The Home Health nurse will be here some time today. She should be well pleased with how well the surgery site has healed. The only spot left is where a bit of tape made a nasty tear in the skin. That too is just about healed up. However she won't be happy about the first two toes on my left (only) foot. The big toe has a wound on the bottom we've been dealing with for several weeks. The other, well last week I ran into the bathroom cabinet and ripped the toenail off. I didn't know it until I investigated to see where the blood was coming from. It was healing quite well until last night. I hit the cabinet again and ripped the scab off.

DSCN0826.jpg

DSCN0807.jpg

Wow, I'm sore. Stacked 2 cords of firewood today! Hope that will be all this year for that. Fortunately the ground is rock hard , since we have not had rail for about 2 weeks, but they are calling for a 40% chance of showers this weekend. Last year yard was soft, delivery truck got stuck, big mess!:(
Just put new batteries in my Radio throttle so I can go to CSX_Road_Slugs run session tomorrow night! :cool: Might have to sneak a steam engine in there....far too many diseasels! :rolleyes:
Hopefully I can get a good nights sleep tonight, already swallowed 1 Percocet for my back earlier, 1 more at bed time oughta do it!;)
Hope your feeling better tomorrow Jeffrey!

Good Morning! from Tipton IN.

It's Friday, September 20, 2013

anim_coffee.png

POUR_COFFEE.png

:cool:

Tipton.gif

Temperature in TIPTON IN

High in the upper 70s with a slight chance of rain.
subway.png

Wow, I'm sore. Stacked 2 cords of firewood today! Hope that will be all this year for that. Fortunately the ground is rock hard , since we have not had rail for about 2 weeks, but they are calling for a 40% chance of showers this weekend. Last year yard was soft, delivery truck got stuck, big mess!:(
Just put new batteries in my Radio throttle so I can go to CSX_Road_Slugs run session tomorrow night! :cool: Might have to sneak a steam engine in there....far too many diseasels! :rolleyes:
Hopefully I can get a good nights sleep tonight, already swallowed 1 Percocet for my back earlier, 1 more at bed time oughta do it!;)
Hope your feeling better tomorrow Jeffrey!
I was telling a friend about my lower back pain and he gave me two prescription strength adhesive Lidocaine patches which I used. Wow! those are super effective. But they are so powerful my back felt worse than usual when the medication wore off.

Mornin Kids! ;)
I'm using that term loosely,
Diet Dew and granola/fiber now bars for breakfast today, they oughta get me goin!:rolleyes: Amazingly I can move this morning after stacking all that wood yesterday. A wee bit stiff, but that ought to pass in a few hours.
Meetings this morning with my career counselor, then paperwork this afternoon, til the run session tonight. ;) Gotta find some kind of trouble to get into this weekend!
Cya!

Good Morning, Happy Friday!

Right now, it's 54° and sunny. It did get down to 49° overnight, and it's supposed to moderate today before tomorrow's rain. Yesterday, Fedex delivered the MAF sensor, and 10 minutes later, that repair was complete. Then, I changed the "Cabin Air Filter". While the process wasn't difficult, the filter could be more accessible than it is. Now that that's done, I need to clear space in the garage, and bring the car inside for the winter.

Enjoy your weekend activities.

Joe

Morning y'all. It's 75° with 100% humidity. The high will be 88° and will feel like 97°.
cond006.gif
with
cond90.jpg

Very, very wet today with more to come. No water sports planned. I may work on the F3's later.

DSCN0775-1.jpg

DSCN0013.jpg

Jeffery - can you hang onto that rain for a few more hours?
My two grandsons have flag football games on this Saturday morning and your rain seems to cycle through central Alabama about 24 hours after you get it.

If I catch cold, I'm going to blame you!

PS- glad you are healing without major problems.

Good afternoon fellow forumites,

Well tonight I'll be having my first op session since January, also the first one ever to run 1970-era B&O equipment. Cleared away a lot of clutter and made some significant infrastructure improvements. I was hoping to use DecoderPro to program a pair of sound-equipped Genesis geeps, but the last Windows 8 "update" appears to have clobbered the device driver for the COM port USB adapter that DecoderPro needs. Thank you Microsoft , NOT!:mad: I'll just have to run those geeps silent like the others. I know Murphy's gonna strike tonight because there'll be two new guest operators there...

Ciao!

Good afternoon fellow forumites,

Well tonight I'll be having my first op session since January, also the first one ever to run 1970-era B&O equipment. Cleared away a lot of clutter and made some significant infrastructure improvements. I was hoping to use DecoderPro to program a pair of sound-equipped Genesis geeps, but the last Windows 8 "update" appears to have clobbered the device driver for the COM port USB adapter that DecoderPro needs. Thank you Microsoft , NOT!:mad: I'll just have to run those geeps silent like the others. I know Murphy's gonna strike tonight because there'll be two new guest operators there...

Ciao!
Windows 7 allows you to uninstall some updates. Can you uninstall this one, and temporarily turn off updating?

Been working on the F3 today. I'm reworking the intake filter screens into full length units that go all the way from the cab windows to the back of the body. This started as an F3 and is to the point of 'F I don't know what' and who knows where it'll end up.

Weatherwise it's been raining here all day. We are under a flash flood watch and an areal flood advisory. Thank God this happened when the ground was dry. Rain chance for tonight is 90% or better and it looks like the same for tomorrow and possibly tomorrow night. The crawfish and frogs are loving it.

That's all for today. See y'all tomorrow if I'm not out looking for a boat.

DSCN5181.jpg

PA240240.jpg

Ken, have you tried just reinstalling the USB drivers. I run Windows 7, but on one Windows 7 update, it wiped out ALL of my USB drivers. It took a trip to MS-support site for downloads, to get new copies of the drivers but when I finished, everything worked as it should.

Last edited by a moderator:
Windows 7 allows you to uninstall some updates. Can you uninstall this one, and temporarily turn off updating?
I don't know how practical that would be at this point Terry, I've had at least a half-dozen updates install themselves on here since the last time I used DecoderPro; I wouldn't know which one to uninstall.

Ken, have you tried just reinstalling the USB drivers. I run Windows 7, but on one Windows 7 update, it wiped out ALL of my USB drivers. It took a trip to MS-support site for downloads, to get new copies of the drivers but when I finished, everything worked as it should.
Carey, Windows 8 is a totally different animal from Windows 7: they've either dropped support, or are simply dragging their heels on modifying the code for many of the drivers that worked on Win7. To get my brand of adapter working, the vendor instructed me to download a driver dating back to 2008 (go figure?). I followed his instructions and it worked! But now I can't remember who the vendor was that I bought this thing from, nor figure out exactly which "vintage" driver I need or where to download it from. I cannot simply just download and install the "latest-and-greatest" generic USB driver from Microshaft - they are all incompatible with Windows 8.

I think I'm going to just buy a Keyspan like my local friends are all using. It's the only brand I've seen that explicitly states they support Windows 8. All the others [including the one I have] only go up to Windows 7.

Last edited by a moderator:

Back