Coffee Shop XXXVIII-7/20/2013

Time for me to call it a night. See y'all tomorrow.

DSCN1030.jpg

P4170136.jpg

Good Morning! from Tipton IN.

It's Wednesday, September 18, 2013

anim_coffee.png

COFFEE_MUG.png

:cool:

Tipton.gif

Temperature in TIPTON IN

High in the 80s with a chance of rain.
LOCO_ACTION.png

Mornin' Bill!

The fingertips on my right hand are sore this morning, from spinning a pin vice into pressure-treated wood - then jamming 'wire' nails into the wood to anchor all of these newly-installed ground throws. That's a long-overdue project that I'd been putting off way too long; but with five guest operators coming over on Friday evening, I didn't want all my yard tracks to be 'finger loose'. Only problem now is that the ground throws themselves are butt-ugly - deep black delrin plastic that clashes with their surroundings. Hopefully I can paint them later on [after the op session] without interfering with their operability.

Karl - hope you get that cell phone problem resolved, might need it so I can track you down on Friday nite...

Last edited by a moderator:
Mornin' Bill!

The fingertips on my right hand are sore this morning, from spinning a pin vice into pressure-treated wood - then jamming 'wire' nails into the wood to anchor all of these newly-installed ground throws. That's a long-overdue project that I'd been putting off way too long; but with five guest operators coming over on Friday evening, I didn't want all my yard tracks to be 'finger loose'. Only problem now is that the ground throws themselves are butt-ugly - deep black delrin plastic that clashes with their surroundings. Hopefully I can paint them later on [after the op session] without interfering with their operability.

Karl - hope you get that cell phone problem resolved, might need it so I can track you down on Friday nite...
Ken, I'd just paint the handle parts in rust, and stay away from the rest of them.

Mornin' Bill!

I, unlike some of Friday nights attendees, know where I'm going. My fear is we may have to send out a search party for some of the others. :rolleyes:

Good Morning!

It was a chilly 40° at 0530 this morning, but has moderated to 54° as I write this. Another sunny, pleasant day.

The lawn must be cut, and the front door must be primed, once the temperature moderates.....so much for procrastinating. I'm also waiting on a MAF sensor for my 2002 Monte Carlo. The sensor is located right on top, easy access with a torx driver, but hard to find. All the local retail parts outlets need to special order the correct one, as no one keeps it in stock. So......I still need to wait....... Good thing I don't need to be anywhere any time soon......

Have a great day!

Joe

Good morning. It's 76° with 86% humidity. The high will b 95° and will feel like 100°.
condmc-1.jpg

I'm feeling kind of confused this morning. I look at things and I don't quite know what they are. I was changing the dressing on my leg and I picked up the roll of gauze and I thought 'now I was going to do what with this?'. Not surprisingly I don't have any plans for today. Surprise, surprise. I'm sure something will come up.

P4170122.jpg

P4150096.jpg

Good Morning!

It was a chilly 40° at 0530 this morning, but has moderated to 54° as I write this. Another sunny, pleasant day.

The lawn must be cut, and the front door must be primed, once the temperature moderates.....so much for procrastinating. I'm also waiting on a MAF sensor for my 2002 Monte Carlo. The sensor is located right on top, easy access with a torx driver, but hard to find. All the local retail parts outlets need to special order the correct one, as no one keeps it in stock. So......I still need to wait....... Good thing I don't need to be anywhere any time soon......

Have a great day!

Joe

Since you have to order one already, have you tried Rock Auto? http://www.rockauto.com/ I've gotten parts from them for both the Alero and Ranger and the Impala too if it ever breaks!. Name brand stuff too! I'm a little anal about putting in what came out. GM's get AC/Delco parts, Fords get Motorcraft, etc.. Prices are good, usually for less than Advance or NAPA! ;)

I was just reading about a new MTH HO locomotive with couplers that can be remotely operated from your DCC handheld controller. That sounds pretty nifty.

I was just reading about a new MTH HO locomotive with couplers that can be remotely operated from your DCC handheld controller. That sounds pretty nifty.
I have one of those, and will happily send you the PITA couplers I removed from it.
The theory is nice, but in practice, not so much.

Jeffrey and Terry, thanks for the feedback on the MTH couplers. It figures the added complexity sometimes does not pay back full dividends.

I have one of these Kato CSX Gevo's on the way as we speak. I lucked out because I almost paid more for one on ebay.......then this popped up on sale at another site.

176-8908.jpg

Mike - nice score on that Gevo! Funny how CSX wound up reverting to the C&O scheme of the 1960's (except the yellow was a bit more 'lemony' back in the day)

Speaking of remote-control couplers on MTH locos (in addition to the fact that they're are ugly): You can only use them when you want to disconnect a locomotive from a train. What about uncoupling one freight car from another? I'd have to install those things on every single one of my frick'n cars! If I had that kind of money to burn, I'd rather put on Sergeant couplers - at least they don't look like toys.

Mike - nice score on that Gevo! Funny how CSX wound up reverting to the C&O scheme of the 1960's (except the yellow was a bit more 'lemony' back in the day)

Speaking of remote-control couplers on MTH locos (in addition to the fact that they're are ugly): You can only use them when you want to disconnect a locomotive from a train. What about uncoupling one freight car from another? I'd have to install those things on every single one of my frick'n cars! If I had that kind of money to burn, I'd rather put on Sergeant couplers - at least they don't look like toys.
They won't work on cars, only locomotives. And then, IIRC, only the locomotives equipped with DCS. Since the grand total of my fleet of MTH locomotives is one, with the remote possibility of a mate to the one I have, I can say that it will snow in Key West before I have a bunch of these.

I came up with a pair of number boards for one of the F3's today. I cannibalized them from an old PennLine F7 shell. It still required quite a bit of work and time to get them into usable shape as they had to be cut from the thick plastic of the shell then trimmed to fit the number board slots of the F3. But in the end it looks OK to me. Once it's painted they should look a lot better.

That's it for today. See y'all tomorrow.

DSCN5128.jpg

Since you have to order one already, have you tried Rock Auto? http://www.rockauto.com/ I've gotten parts from them for both the Alero and Ranger and the Impala too if it ever breaks!. Name brand stuff too! I'm a little anal about putting in what came out. GM's get AC/Delco parts, Fords get Motorcraft, etc.. Prices are good, usually for less than Advance or NAPA! ;)

Thanks Karl. That's who I ordered from, part will be here tomorrow. I have used them before, with complete satisfaction. My oldest son used them a lot when rebuilding the engine in his "83 Z-28. BTW, the price including shipping was better than either Advanced or NAPA.

Joe

I came up with a pair of number boards for one of the F3's today. I cannibalized them from an old PennLine F7 shell. It still required quite a bit of work and time to get them into usable shape as they had to be cut from the thick plastic of the shell then trimmed to fit the number board slots of the F3. But in the end it looks OK to me. Once it's painted they should look a lot better.

That's it for today. See y'all tomorrow.

The F3s look real good, Jeffrey. Those number boards turned out well. Handrails look good, and they have Kadees. Nice!

Joe

Back