Coffee Shop XXXVIII-7/20/2013

My pickup killed the minute I drove out of a car wash. It had 199,000 miles on it.

Turns out, the coil had a hairline crack and under high humidity it protested. I went to the dealer for a new one and I think it cost me about $100.

I felt pretty lucky about that repair. Anyway, too bad about the lady blaming it on her oil change.

P.S. I read you guys a lot, just don't say anything.

Somehow that makes some kind of sense. I just don't know how!:eek::rolleyes:

That kind of reminds me...I like to know who has been not doing their file work....:mad::rolleyes:

As per....

Good Afternoon

A nice cool day here, sunny out but the air has a certain nip to it...

Got a fair chunk of work done today on those files but I found more that needed some work done on them...mmmm...wonder where the fellow who was responsible for this went...mmmm

Anyhow...got home in reasonable time to have some train time tonight...so I'm going off to do just that....

Well by now you know I've upgraded IIe #1 into an Enhanced IIe. If I can get the pieces I need I'll upgrade it further to a Platinum IIe. No great change for that. Just a platinum color case with a IIGS keyboard and a couple of internal pieces. Then I can get started upgrading the other two IIe's. Talk about a long term project. Found another game in my collection that I haven't played in many years. Moonmist. I couldn't find the box that has the book and map so I downloaded the map and associated letters from the internet.

No news on the layout other than that it's a mess. There are a few items on Ebay I'm looking at getting.

Well that's all for tonight. See y'all tomorrow.

DSCN2259.jpg

Good Evening:

Today was busy. Cut the lawn, then painted wood trim in the family room. Cleaned up the Athearn HW BB diner after removing the paint then started to strip the baggage car.

It felt a bit chilly today, never got out of the mid 60s, this after weeks of upper 80s and 90s. It was something like 20° cooler than yesterday. Helped with the out door work, though.

My car interiors have shipped, coming by USPS, so your guess is as good as mine as to when they will show. I still have to repaint and letter the cars, so there is really no urgency.

I packed up most of my DCC PRR diesel locos into a large Rubbermaid container that previously held "82 Camaro parts. Need an additional container. I need to repaint the train room, in the basement.

Have a nice night.

Joe

Well by now you know I've upgraded IIe #1 into an Enhanced IIe. If I can get the pieces I need I'll upgrade it further to a Platinum IIe. No great change for that. Just a platinum color case with a IIGS keyboard and a couple of internal pieces. Then I can get started upgrading the other two IIe's. Talk about a long term project. Found another game in my collection that I haven't played in many years. Moonmist. I couldn't find the box that has the book and map so I downloaded the map and associated letters from the internet.

No news on the layout other than that it's a mess. There are a few items on Ebay I'm looking at getting.

Well that's all for tonight. See y'all tomorrow.
You put the same intense effort into restoring computers as you do your frankenmotives,....Doctor Loco! :cool: It's obvious you're someone who knows how to gets things done.

If my layout ended up looking similar to this vintage photo of columbus ohio yard........except in color........I would be happy. Going to need more turnouts.

cus-arial-1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
You put the same intense effort into restoring computers as you do your frankenmotives,....Doctor Loco! :cool: It's obvious you're someone who knows how to gets things done.

Glad that it looks like I know what I'm doing. I just try different things until something works. That's especially true of the Frankenlocos. The motor and drive configurations on them aren't a standard design I came up with. Each one is made up of whatever I could cobble together or make work. My work on these old computers is the same. I can get many of the parts I need on the net but in some cases the part isn't available and it means I either have to work around it or engineer something that will work.

If my layout ended up looking similar to this vintage photo of columbus ohio yard........except in color........I would be happy. Going to need more turnouts.

cus-arial-1.jpg
Our kid has asked what it was like living in the world before they invented color...

Good Morning all,
It's been a while, thought I stop in Flo's to see what been going on or off the track?

I haven't done much on the layout but am going to get started on it again. I found I had a mouse trying to take up residence in my Horse Shoe Meadow Depot and making a general mess of things. He even knocked a swichman down on to the tracks and when I went to back the engine with a box car attached I ran the poor guy over. That's another one for the Cemetery!

Catch you all later,

David

Good Morning

Sunny and getting a little humid out -- 77 feeling like 88F this afternoon. This morning a bit clammy and 70 out now...

Not much on this one's plate today except that of even more filework...oh well...more cash in my pocket. lol!!

Have a good day!!

Good morning. It's 76° with 95% humidity. It already feels like 84°. The high will be 95° and will feel like a mere 105°.
pcloudy-1.jpg
cond20.jpg

I feel rotten today. I've been awake since 2am and no matter what I did I couldn't get back to sleep. The hours of sleep I've gotten the past couple of days can be counted on one hand.

What's bad about that? Today is mowing day! I really don't feel like doing it but I promised my niece it would be done and I don't make a habit of breaking my promises. Yeah, I can do the job but I'm going to be completely wasted for the rest of the day. On the brighter side I should be able to get some sleep later.

DSCN4451.jpg

P1010750.jpg

Good Morning all,
It's been a while, thought I stop in Flo's to see what been going on or off the track?

I haven't done much on the layout but am going to get started on it again. I found I had a mouse trying to take up residence in my Horse Shoe Meadow Depot and making a general mess of things. He even knocked a swichman down on to the tracks and when I went to back the engine with a box car attached I ran the poor guy over. That's another one for the Cemetery!

Catch you all later,

David
David, where the heck have you been? Welcome back and good to hear from you! :D

Good Morning; Happy Friday!

We are starting out this morning with a sunny sky, and temperatures in the upper 60s. Nothing much planned today, although the Wife and I have somewhere to be this afternoon.

Have a great weekend.

Joe

Glad to see you are back, David. Was wondering about you, as you hadn't posted for several months. Hope everything is OK and you are doing fine. There are several others that haven't been around as well, such as Ole97 and Photogdad. Hope they are OK too.

Sunny and 74 in Cloquet. Wanting to finish a bridge for my suspended layout this weekend.

Finally found out what all the commotion was in my neighborhood most of the night. Thanks to Google Earth, I got the answer.GoogleEarth_Image.jpg

Luckily, I like the railroads.

Everyone have a great weekend!

Logandsawman

I've been on the go all day and I'm just about dead. First there was breakfast with my father and step mother this morning. Then my father said we had to go to the pharmacy to pick up a few things the hospital called and said I needed. Things like Betadine and Cipro then over to Wal-Mart to get some things he needed. By the time we got back it's 12:30pm. The whole morning was shot! That meant I'd be mowing the grass in the afternoon sun in near 104 heat. Oh but it gets better! Now he wants help getting his tractor out. It has a dead battery and won't start even when jumped due to the fact gas isn't getting to the carb. So I help him push it out and set the jumper cables up. Finally I can my tractor out, gas it up and get to work. So for the next two and a half hours I cut the grass. No interruptions. I finish and put my tractor away and by now I'm dead on my feet. He wants me to help him with his tractor again. So far all he's been able to is get it to pop by priming the carb. It wouldn't stay running after that. To me it's the same old song again. Fuel filter or carb. I checked the fuel filter (had to take a bunch of stuff off the side of the engine to get to it, a Kohler naturally) by giving it the blow test. I got resistance so the filter was suspect. So off we (me, him and my step mother) go to Riverside Logging to get a new filter and he unbolted and disarmed his wallet and got a new battery for the tractor. It's been dead for two years. He just kept charging it with a battery charger when he wanted to use the tractor. I told him this new filter may fix it, it may not. The problem may be in the carb meaning the possible expenditure of more money that'll be wearing sunglasses due to not seeing the light of day for decades. Can anybody say cheapskate? He make Scrooge look like a drunk sailor. An upside to the trip to Riverside Logging was we stopped by Sonic for strawberry shakes. I finally got back home and I'm about to break into a pile of assorted parts on the floor.

Oh yeah, I got some info on the upcoming surgery. I go in on Aug 8th to have the prelim work done the back on Aug 12th for the surgery.

Now if you'll excuse me I'm wiped out and I am going to go crash somewhere, preferably on the bed.

DSCN2159.jpg

DSCN4448.jpg

Back