Coffee Shop XXXVI-2/4/2013

Good afternoon. It's 56° here and very wet. There's a severe thunderstorm watch in effect until 8pm.
cond90.jpg

It's going to be a while probably before I'm back online full time. My computer died last night. The processor popped and on it's out it was kind enough to short out the main board. Fixing it will likely cost more than buying another computer. Thing is many of the systems I see in the stores have a bunch of cheap stuff in them and come with stuff on them that I don't need. I've seen some that are nice looking and have a good price but come with cheap memory sticks and slow processors. A good example is this computer I'm using right now. It has a halfway descent main board but it's hog-tied by a slow dual-core Celeron D processor. It runs at only a quarter of the speed that mine did and photo pages take a while to load.

See y'all the next time I'm online.

DSCN3527.jpg

Good Evening..

We are actually getting some sun right now...good day here all told...

Spent the day outside BBQ'ing up some ribs and other such delectibles for the neighbourhood adults while the kiddies were enjoying their easter delights...

Good evening. It's 68° with 55% humidity. The low will be 58°.
condmc-1.jpg

Well my old computer is well and truly dead. The main board and processor are fried. How it happened I don't know. Old age probably. It was however obsolete and had reached the end of the road on software and hardware compatibility with the new stuff that's out now.

I was wondering how I was going to get another computer. That question was answered this morning. My father bought me a new HP Pavilion computer. It's a 64 bit system with a 1TB hard drive, 8GB RAM, Intel i5-2320 quad-core processor and a DVD/RAM drive among other devices. It didn't include a monitor but seems happy with my old MAG DJ700 CRT. An external USB DVD burner that's Win8 compatible will be on the shopping list.

Oh yeah, that's right. This thing has Windows 8. I absolutely loathe Windows 8. To me it seems like it was designed by a 5 year old finger painting with invisible ink! Everything is hidden away but I'm slowly finding it. Since very little of the stuff in this system will work with XP I guess I better get used to it. It also needs a better keyboard. This flat as a flipping board HP keyboard is the pits! The keys are very nearly the same level as the surrounding surface and I can't rest my fingers against the sides of them

I also turned off the Norton anti-virus in favor of AVG 2013. I don't see why I should be saddled with an antivirus program I don't like. I already know how to use the AVG so it was a fast pick. If the Norton program starts making noise about being disabled I'll see about uninstalling it, though I haven't foun d the uninstall utility for it yet.

See y'all tomorrow provided I can get this thing started without having to go through the first seven steps of the ballet.

P1011982.jpg

Around here, about all you can say is when it rains it pours! During the severe weather we had last week, one of my neighbors had a pine tree go thru their roof and into their kitchen. Luckily no one was hurt, but it scared the crap out of the two kids in the kitchen at the time.

Then my other neighbors had a fairly large raccoon in their attic. They got a live animal trap, baited it with peanut butter and cheese, and captured him. He was as large as the trap almost! The trap was 30" long, 18" high, and was 12" across. The raccoon filled it up. They also found how he got in there. He gnawed thru the roof. So now they need a new roof!

Then a week ago today, our central air/furnace went out, and as the story goes we had to replace it.

Otherwise not a lot going on here.

Good evening. It's 68° with 55% humidity. The low will be 58°.
condmc-1.jpg

Well my old computer is well and truly dead. The main board and processor are fried. How it happened I don't know. Old age probably. It was however obsolete and had reached the end of the road on software and hardware compatibility with the new stuff that's out now.

I was wondering how I was going to get another computer. That question was answered this morning. My father bought me a new HP Pavilion computer. It's a 64 bit system with a 1TB hard drive, 8GB RAM, Intel i5-2320 quad-core processor and a DVD/RAM drive among other devices. It didn't include a monitor but seems happy with my old MAG DJ700 CRT. An external USB DVD burner that's Win8 compatible will be on the shopping list.

Oh yeah, that's right. This thing has Windows 8. I absolutely loathe Windows 8. To me it seems like it was designed by a 5 year old finger painting with invisible ink! Everything is hidden away but I'm slowly finding it. Since very little of the stuff in this system will work with XP I guess I better get used to it. It also needs a better keyboard. This flat as a flipping board HP keyboard is the pits! The keys are very nearly the same level as the surrounding surface and I can't rest my fingers against the sides of them

I also turned off the Norton anti-virus in favor of AVG 2013. I don't see why I should be saddled with an antivirus program I don't like. I already know how to use the AVG so it was a fast pick. If the Norton program starts making noise about being disabled I'll see about uninstalling it, though I haven't foun d the uninstall utility for it yet.

See y'all tomorrow provided I can get this thing started without having to go through the first seven steps of the ballet.

P1011982.jpg
Supposedly, there is a way to emulate Windows7 with your computer. I haven't messed with the new stuff enough to figure it out. I do know I don't like what I have seen.
I know with 7, you can uninstall Norton directly through the control panel in tha add/ remove programs area. Good luck.

Supposedly, there is a way to emulate Windows7 with your computer. I haven't messed with the new stuff enough to figure it out. I do know I don't like what I have seen.
I know with 7, you can uninstall Norton directly through the control panel in tha add/ remove programs area. Good luck.
I can't even find an ADD/REMOVE utility in what passes for the Control Panel. Whoever designed this piece of crap must be the same crew that did the new software for the Trains.com forums. I'm seeing a bunchy of similarities.

Good morning. It's 52°F with 95% humidity. There's a small chance of rain today. The high will be 78°F.
cond20.jpg

Well I've learned a bit more about Windows 8, having played around with it for a few hours. I still haven't found an uninstall utility. It's gotta be hidden in that mess somewhere. There's a small booklet that came with the computer, little bigger than a pamphlet entitled 'Windows 8 Basics'. It has some very helpful information about some things you might do every day including information on using touch gestures. That's nice to know about but it's absolutely useless to me as my old monitor doesn't support it in any way, shape or form. It also explains how to add things, move things around, displaying things, closing things but nowhere does it give even a hint about how to uninstall something. Not even the faintest hint of a clue. Sherlock Holmes would be baffled! Oh well, I'll keep looking. Maybe I'll find something that can make the screen revert to the Classic Windows display. You never know what might be buried in there.

Speaking of new things, I also have a new phone for my trailer, new to me anyway. When my sister and her daughter were clearing out one of the closets in the west wing they came across a laundry basket full of phones, all identical, all still in their boxes, never opened. The only identification was a model number on the box. I looked it up online and it turns out they're talking caller ID phones. I don't know where my father got them (he can't remember) but since they were going to be tossed out I snitched one for myself. It works great. Much better than the cheap Wal-Mart special I've been using the past few years. Since my Magicjack already has Caller ID (blows this phones caller ID out of the water in all respects) I turned off the phones caller id feature. It's enough for me that it rings which is more than I can say for the cheapie that I was using. I had that POC set up so the ringtone came through the computer. That was the only way I could hear it. Now I have a phone that not only rings, I can hear it in the back over the TV, the fans, the a/c unit, etc and it has fourteen different ringtones. That's a big step up for me. I live so far beneath the poverty line I have to look up a few miles to see it! So a lot of things many people consider basic seem like luxuries to me.

Oh well, enough about all that. I've got other things to worry about.

DSCN3534.jpg

Morning all!
Off work with a sick kid today so in between my nursing duties I might try to do a little work in the train room today.

I used to use AVG free anti-virus on my HP pavilion and it worked fine. But a couple years ago I found out about the also FREE microsoft security essentials anti....virus.....spyware....malware. It updates itself everyday and catches all kinds of trojanhorse and other bad stuff all the time.

By bnsf971;

That says a great deal coming from someone that works directly with nuclear fuels.

Actually, I don't work with the fuel bundles, I just help take the steam machine (reactor) apart and put it back together again. The fuel handlers are the folks responsibple for all the fuel moves and shuffles. They do it all from the fuel bridge (like an overhead crane) that goes over the reactor to take the fuel bundles out for placement in the spent fuel pool and installation of new bundles. This is all done with about 30 feet of water covering everything. The water acts as both a coolant and as shielding to reduce radioactive dose exposure. All very interesting to watch and be involved in. We will start disassembly this Monday at the nuke I'm working at now. This will be the last one for the spring season for me, then things will start again this fall. It only sounds scarey. The worst thing about the job is that I have to go to Mickey D's for wifi access. The campground where my camper is doesn't have wifi in the area that I'm in.:(

By bnsf971;

Actually, I don't work with the fuel bundles, I just help take the steam machine (reactor) apart and put it back together again. The fuel handlers are the folks responsibple for all the fuel moves and shuffles. They do it all from the fuel bridge (like an overhead crane) that goes over the reactor to take the fuel bundles out for placement in the spent fuel pool and installation of new bundles. This is all done with about 30 feet of water covering everything. The water acts as both a coolant and as shielding to reduce radioactive dose exposure. All very interesting to watch and be involved in. We will start disassembly this Monday at the nuke I'm working at now. This will be the last one for the spring season for me, then things will start again this fall. It only sounds scarey. The worst thing about the job is that I have to go to Mickey D's for wifi access. The campground where my camper is doesn't have wifi in the area that I'm in.:(

I use a wireless range extender when we are camping. It's pretty much mandatory for us, since our trailer is a large faraday cage. I simply place it outside the door, plug it in, push the button, and when the lights turn blue, I can connect to the campground wifi, even the stuff that's pretty far away.

Back