Coffee Shop XXXV-12/3/2012

pppffft.

I'm going back to my AMIGA 1200....:rolleyes:
The computer I used between 1990 and 1995 was an IBM XT. 5 1/4" floppy drive, 3.5" floppy drive and a 20 meg hard drive the size of a medium sized cereal box. 640k RAM and VGA video. It was running MSDOS 6.22. I went from that directly from that to a 486 with a DX4/100mhz processor, MSDOS 6.22/Windows 3.1, 5 1/4" and 3.5" floppy drives, CD-ROM drive and a 700 mb hard drive. 1+ gig drives were available but were problematic at best at that point. 4 mb RAM later expanded to 8 mb, 33 mhz VLB SVGA video.

Good Morning Guys,
[I guess we don't have any ladies at the coffee shop except Flo & Francine]

I'm saying hello first as usually I get to reading the other posts and before I know it it's afternoon already!

The weather, earlier this morning was about 40* out and it looked as though between the Cumulos Clouds there was enough Blue to make a Dutchman a pair of pants and sure enough as now it's clear and sunny with only a few clouds around. Well upon another look the clouds are building up again!
The temp per WG weather is 57.7 °F but they also said the high was going to only be 55 °F & Fog? Not here anyway? Tonight it drops to 41 °F so they claim.

Today I'm going get out and work on my layout by building a couple of switches and I also need to re-solder one point to the throw arm of a switch that forms the beginning of the logging trackage.

Anyway that's about it on my end except my coffee maker crapped out so I guess I should see about getting a new one.

Take care and enjoy.

Well, this morning was a wild-goose chase. I got a USB interface board for my command station so I could start using DecoderPro this afternoon. Well, first I needed a USB-to-Serial adapter. Then I discovered I also need a printer-style USB cable. Problem is, these accessories are only available with male connectors at both ends. To connect them I need a female/female USB gender-flipper, which nobody carries - that will definitely have to be ordered.:rolleyes: Plans thwarted for want of an obscure little 2-inch piece of hardware...

Ken
Are you running a NCE PHP or is it a Powercab?
My PHP goes right from the NCE to the puter via a standard serial data connector.

Ken
Are you running a NCE PHP or is it a Powercab?
My PHP goes right from the NCE to the puter via a standard serial data connector.
Karl, its a PHP. Does your puter have a nine-pin RS-232 COM port on it? Mine, like most laptops, only has USB ports, that's why I need the adapter.

Come to think about it, the computer that now powers the layout does have an adapter to USB, but not like yours.

I have a Keyspan high speed adapter
http://www.walmart.com/ip/5934005?a...1=g&wl2=&wl3=21486607510&wl4=&wl5=pla&veh=sem

Sorry for the confusion,,I'm sure you can relate, the mind, its the 2nd thing to go!:rolleyes:

I wound up ordering a USB-to-serial adapter, USB A-B cable and a gender changer from USB FireWire, they should be here Tuesday or Wednesday.

I suppose in the meantime, I should be figuring out what decoders I need to buy for my mothballed B&O units (no Tsunamies unfortunately, budget can't support that luxury at the moment...:()

man i still cant believe union pacific is considering rebuilding a BIG BOY WAHHHOOOOO yes im very excited !!!!!!!!!!! :cool::cool::D

I wound up ordering a USB-to-serial adapter, USB A-B cable and a gender changer from USB FireWire, they should be here Tuesday or Wednesday.

I suppose in the meantime, I should be figuring out what decoders I need to buy for my mothballed B&O units (no Tsunamies unfortunately, budget can't support that luxury at the moment...:()

NCE D13SR's oughta do fine on non-sound engines. Buy um in a 4 pack & save! (See Glen on this)
They will fit, or can be made to fit damn near anything!:D

While I got you. :cool: Remember the Digitrash plug & play unit we gave up for dead? :confused: It's alive now:eek:
Had a bad solder joint on the orange pin. I'm guessing a little vibration and flex on the plug was enough to get it to separate. A little very careful solder repair fix it.:cool: Funny thing was that its didn't show as bad when I ohms tested the connector the 1st time.
Now do you understand why I never really cared for plug & play decoders?:rolleyes:

NCE D13SR's oughta do fine on non-sound engines. Buy um in a 4 pack & save! (See Glen on this)
They will fit, or can be made to fit damn near anything!:D
What I'm hoping is that I don't have to mill the weights in the F units. I'm counting on those to pull my loaded coal trains, I don't want to sacrifice any of their tractive effort!
While I got you. :cool: Remember the Digitrash plug & play unit we gave up for dead? :confused: It's alive now:eek:
Had a bad solder joint on the orange pin. I'm guessing a little vibration and flex on the plug was enough to get it to separate. A little very careful solder repair fix it.:cool: Funny thing was that its didn't show as bad when I ohms tested the connector the 1st time.
Now do you understand why I never really cared for plug & play decoders?:rolleyes:
Congrats on the fix! Yeah, now that I've seen that a D13SR can be made to fit in a P2K geep, I'm pretty much ready to use them wherever I can. Less cost, more reliability - imagine that!

What I'm hoping is that I don't have to mill the weights in the F units. I'm counting on those to pull my loaded coal trains, I don't want to sacrifice any of their tractive effort!

I never milled my Stewarts:D

Yeah, now that I've seen that a D13SR can be made to fit in a P2K geep, I'm pretty much ready to use them wherever I can. Less cost, more reliability - imagine that!

Just chuck the factory board, and hard wire the D13SR in place of it,,,,, don't forget the heat shrink!!:eek:;):D

ThevStewarts have more than enough room for an HO decoder. I have a Digitrax DH123 in the one I have. Plenty of room, no milling required.

Time for me to call it a night. See y'all tomorrow.

Image21.jpg

Good morning. It's 64° with fog and 100% humidity. It'll be cloudy with a chance of rain.
condmc-1.jpg
cond20.jpg

I'm probably not going to do much today. I'm not feeling good. I'm a bit light headed, have pain across my chest and pain from my neck down to my lower back.

Running the trio of GP9 Frankenlocos this morning. I may run the Atlas lash-up later (GP40, two FP7's). Not planning on doing anything more strenuous than that until I feel better than I do now.

IMAGE34.jpg

Good Morning!

Today is the Second Sunday of the Advent season. There are 16 more days until Christmas, and 22 days remain in 2012. Where did the time go?

It's a rainy, dreary 48F at the Jersey Shore.

It's Football day. The NJ Jets get to look foolish in Jacksonville, while the Saints come marching in to the Meadowlands to play the Football Giants, and the Balmer Ravens square off against the PG County Redskins in Landover in the Battle of Maryland.:D

I don't know why the media persists in referring to the NY/NJ Giants as the Football Giants, when the Baseball Giants left for California 55 years ago.

Enjoy your Sunday.

Good Morning

Another dull day for us'uns again...we did get a small incident of sun yesterday...just in time for sunset...

And, of course, just in time, the weekly scan called......the weekly things one gotsta do if'n one want to do simple things....

Anyhow, got few things that need done..more firewood jammed into the bucket for the fireplace...more stuff bought as well...got to get going on this one..

Have a good day!!

WARNING!! GRAY HAIR ALERT!!

I went to my parents place to rescue some old computer equipment. When I say old I mean from the EARLY 80's. The main item is an Apple IIe computer that's more or less the stock version of the one I already have in my closet. Mine is 128k RAM, four 360k 5 1/4" floppy drives (a fifth one for parts), RAM drive (early solid state drive)/80 column adapter, printer RAM buffer, 1 meg memory expander, FP/Integer Basic, Prodos, Cp/m selectable from the keyboard, 13" green screen. This other one I picked up is just 64k RAM, one dual 360k floppy drive (piece of crap), 80 column card, FP/Integer Basic keyboard selectable, Prodos available on reboot, 9" white screen(we're talking hard on the eyes here!). It works but I got it for spare parts. All it cost me was the time to go get it.

Back