Coffee Shop XXXV-12/3/2012

Good morning guys, ah well, good afternoon,
Say Flo & Francine how are you doing? Looks like it's a fairly decent day with some sun a a few clouds but it fairly cool with a temp of 55°F inside the back porch, WndgrndW says it's 63.3°F which is interesting as the high was only supposed to br 57°F? with a low of 41°F tonight. At least they make their guesstimation errors known.

I check the hydraulic clutch on my car this morning and it's was working fine as compared to the day after the new Master cylinder was replaced when I lost the tension against the the clutch pedal as it was depressed like it should have been and fortunately is again.
Also in the calamity of things yesterday my power steering pump began squealing again as it had also developed a fairly good leak at a prior time and I had purchased a bottle of Jones Transmission sealer David, my mechanic recommended and he said I should add about a third of a bottle to the pump so that's what I did yesterday and worked the steering back and forth from lock to lock a couple of times and then drove the car down the twisty back road where I live and today it also seems fine when I started the engine, thank God!!

> >
On the layout scene, I took another look at the way I have my Engine House, an Old Original Revell, & turntable set up and may just leave it as it is for now till I get more done on the mainline.

So you can get a better idea of what I'm looking at a pic would be handy to so I'll post one.

ATTACH]

This is the first shot I've taken of the upper section at the Ridgecrest Engine House and Turn Table from from this angle or any other for that matter. As you can see I haven't even got any cround cover down yet but that's because it's all in the planning stages. There are some things I don't particular care for about the placement of the TT though.

This new version of Photo Bucket isn't allowing me to post the full size version? I didn't re-size it before downloading and that may be the problem? No, it wants a double before and after the image address! Odd?

For now that's about where I at and need to get to building some more turnouts.

Catch you later

Last edited by a moderator:
Something my father said he was going to do today was get a reel mower working again. How many of you remember those things! Bet you remember the blisters too!
I have a reel type mower sitting in my garage. It is going to continue to sit in my garage, behind my self-propelled push mower and riding tractor. If the price of gas hits $20 a gallon, I may decide to use it, but until then, it will sit.

[Quote:]Originally Posted by tootnkumin View Post
It's the thought behind the present that counts Jeff. But I think the thought that the presentee's will be thinking is, "If you're gonna give us a mower, give us a 'real' mower not a 'reel' one."[/Quote]

At least if it ran it was something they could possibly use? That's a pretty good play on words.

My thinking exactly. I can't use any kind of push mower anymore, even self-propelled but if I could I'd want one that does as much of the work as possible. Not one that's going to cut me down by two waist sizes.

I've had a couple of gas rotary mowers with the last one being a 5 Hp Yard Man MTD Self-Propelled when bail handle is pulled with high wheels in the rear, it's a rear or side discharge too as well as mulching and quite a little tank as I've used it to even mow the field grass at times. It was a very good purchase and fairly easy to change the height adjustment. Bought it through Amazon but the box almost looked destroyed when it came but everything was Ok!

Hi all, I finally retired the old Dell tower that served me well over the 8 years I had it and bought myself an HP Pavilion laptop. I was so hell-bent on avoiding Windows 8 that I ordered my first one thru one of BestBuy's "marketplace" partners named Buy.com. They were the only ones who still had any reputable-brand computers available with Windows 7 installed.

That turned out to be way more trouble than it was worth. First, FedEx was a day late delivering the machine and it was poorly packaged (very little cushioning inside the box). When I booted it for the first time, I got a Blue Screen of Death [BSOD] while it was configuring my desktop. I spent several hours on the phone with HP tech support doing a full system recovery. OK, I figured, just a little rough start but at least now it worked OK.

Next morning while I was transferring data from the old Dell, I got another BSOD!:mad: I spent more time on the phone with HP tech support. One of the things they told me to do was download and install an updated BIOS driver. So I did that, and apparently it corrupted something because it wouldn't boot after it tried to restart itself. They said I'd have to have it shipped to their central repair center in Houston. No ******* way!!! I called Buy.com customer service, got an RMA#, and shipped it back for a full refund. Then I went to BestBuy and [reluctantly] bought a Windows 8 machine.

Windows 8 has indeed been a PITA, mostly because of the learning curve. It also doesn't support as many email clients as earlier versions of Windows did. So I had to start using Gmail and take time learning how to use that. Other than that I think it'll turn out to be a good op system - I got all my favorite legacy apps (including XtrkCAD) to run on it. Next step will be to get a USB interface for my NCE system so I can start using DecoderPro.

Windows 8 has indeed been a PITA, mostly because of the learning curve. It also doesn't support as many email clients as earlier versions of Windows did.
Uh huh. And people call me nuts for hanging onto XP.

Saw an old Winnebago RV today that had to be at least as old as the 1971 Dodge Pace Arrow I used to have. I thought from the sound of this Winnebago that it must have a Dodge engine in it. I was right. The owner said it had a 360. My old one had a 318 and got eight miles to the gallon. His RV was the same length so I guessed it was getting between six and eight. He said seven.

Stopped at the pharmacy today to pick up a new med that's supposed to replace one of mine. It was supposed to be ready for me to pick up, no paper work or red tape. RIGHT!! Found out it needs a physicians approval. A physician prescribed it! How much danged approval do they need?! I have an appointment to see the doc on Monday so I'll hash it out with him then.

Did a little work on the older of my two Atlas FP7's today. There was a clicking sound coming from it that sounded to me like a wire tapping against something. I was right. It has an Athearn blue box motor with Athearn spline drive shafts. One of the slots in a spline section was picking at a wire. I bent the wire out of the way and all was good again.

Time to call it a night. I'll see y'all again tomorrow.

Image15.jpg

I hate it when something like that happens. Windows 7 was supposed to be next to perfect.....HA!......but since that's what I have, that's what I'll use.

There are some real nice Win 8 bargains out there, though, Intel I7 Quad with 32 GB of RAM, plus a Terabyte sized Hard drive, for under $1000. My first 386sx16 processor came with 2mb ram and a 80mb hard drive. The salesman told me I would never need more memory.........:(

Good luck with your Win 8 machine.

I had sampled Apple products several times over the years, but stuck with Windows. Until I got a computer with Vista. After nearly a year of pulling out what hair I had left, I bought a Macbook, and put XP on a partition. When Windows 7 came out, I bought a new desktop and latop with that on it for my wife. She loves it, and I had to put 7 on my latest Macbook. It is a far from perfect system, but is vastly better than Vista.
My wife looked at the new computers running 8, and told me it would be a long, long time before she needed a new computer.

Uh huh. And people call me nuts for hanging onto XP.

Yup, that's exactly what my old Dell was running - never gave me any problems [at least not major ones, anyway!]

I hate it when something like that happens. Windows 7 was supposed to be next to perfect.....HA!......but since that's what I have, that's what I'll use.
. . .
Good luck with your Win 8 machine.

Is that what you have WJ, a Win7 machine?

One thing that has greatly helped to ease the pain for me is Stardock Start8, which restores a Win7-style Start menu to the lower left corner of the Win8 desktop.

Yup, that's exactly what my old Dell was running - never gave me any problems [at least not major ones, anyway!]

Is that what you have WJ, a Win7 machine?

One thing that has greatly helped to ease the pain for me is Stardock Start8, which restores a Win7-style Start menu to the lower left corner of the Win8 desktop.

My Dell and the wife's Toshiba both run Win 7, as does my old Gateway that I keep as a back-up. Not a bad OS, really. I used to rush out and upgrade to the newest technology, but now wait until I need to replace a machine. I am amazed at some of what's advertised as available memory wise in the newest HP offerings.

I had sampled Apple products several times over the years, but stuck with Windows.
I've had three Apple computers over the years. An Apple IIe, Apple IIc and Apple Lisa. The IIc and the Lisa both died an early death. I still have the Apple IIe. It was a specially ordered model made in 1983. It sports 128k RAM, four 5 1/4" 16 sector 360k floppy disk drives, one megabyte memory expander, a RAM drive, Basic/Integer/ProDOS/Cp/m languages, 80 column video. Many of these things weren't available to the public at that time. The standard memory size was still 48k with 13 sector disk drives. I've used 13 sector 180k drives and believe me, 16 sector 360k drives were the cats meow!

Good morning. It's 66° with 98% humidity. There's a fair chance of showers and thunderstorms. The high will be 75°.
cond60.jpg

Weather this morning feels like it's going from partly sunny to miserable. Looks like rain today, clearing tonight, fair tomorrow with rain returning tomorrow night. Wonderful weather we're having!

On the layout front, no plans for today but I'll likely have trains running most of the day. I'm looking at an Athearn blue box SD45 shell and having some of THOSE thoughts.

P1011849-1.jpg

Good morning folks.

We had our first measurable snow fall last night, one inch!:D We're expected to get 3 to 4 inches tonight with 30 mile an hour winds tomorrow. Of course we are, I'm driving to my Father's house to do Christmas with him and it always sucks driving there for Christmas. He lives south of us along interstate 90 where there is NOTHING but open fields. I should have told everyone that was wishing for snow that it would come this weekend.:rolleyes: I can't remember a time where I've driven there and there wasn't blowing snow across the highway. Oh well, I can't stand hearing Christmas music while it's brown outside.

The only train I've operated lately is the G scale Christmas train under the tree. It has sound, unlike my layout, so that's a change!:)

Time to get ready for the busy day at work.
Have a great weekend everyone.

Back