Coffee Shop XXV

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anybody have one of those little worthless computers from the late 70's, early 80's lying around? Something about the size of that little pc (what a joke) Timex came out with. Any really small computer will do but it has to be non-op and free. I intend to attach some wires to it and secure it inside the engine compartment of my van. The next time some know-it-all counter man says he has to hook up a diagnostic computer, well the opportunity is just too good to pass up. Just watching him try to find an adapter for it would be priceless!

timexs1000-1.jpg

Hi Jeffrey,

The look on the guy's face would be priceless. You need to wire up a panel with a few random flashing LEDs, like the bridge of the Enterprise from the set of 60's episode of Star Trek :D

Actually, Timex were not the inventor of the Sinclair range. The Sinclair range of computer were great in their time, and very successful. They were designed and built in the UK and this model was the predecessor to the ZX80, which was purchased as a kit. Timex in the US re-marketed them as the Sinclair 1000.

I have several of them up until 5 years ago when I sold them off to a collector. Yes a collector! They are not worth much, but as Andrew said, they're like HP calculators and red LED wristwatches from the 70's and 80's, they are collectable in certain techo circles. Personally, if I came across one again, I'd hang on to it.

Good morning folks

It was 50 F as I headed out this morning. High will be 64 F.

It was a busy day yesterday. I had field meetings all day at work. In the evening I had to deal with Cub Scout popcorn. We have about a week to go and the final push is on.

This morning I had to drop my son off early at school. His class is going to the Pennsylvania Renaissance Faire. Tonight he meets with his Merit Badge Counselor to finish his Family Life and Personal Fitness Merit badges.

My daughter felt out of place. First time since August she did not have volleyball practice. She did stay after school to work on her Language Arts group project.

Still no trains but I did get some time to stare at the layout last night.

I hope everybody has a good day.

Good morning. It's 62 and mostly cloudy. The high will be 86 and it will be partly sunny. The chance for rain is 10%.

Well as I've had no offers of help with my pseudo car computer project I guess I'll have to see what I can scrounge up around here or write it off. The selection of parts I have makes for pretty slim pickings, mostly old computer drives. I don't know if I'd be able to make anything convincing out of it. Today I have to go out to take care of some personal business. That's likely to keep me busy for several hours. I'll take my camera along in case I come across something interesting.

http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q186/forum-1/P1010037-1.jpg

HELLOHelloHello Hello HELLO HELLO Hello Man the echo is deafening. Where everybody be. Its be gittin lonely in here. Flo I sure hope you did not make em all mad when we moved. Jim is MIA, Bob only shows up now and then, Ken(both of em) are also MIA's and I knows there are more than just these few missing. :D:):p

WOW!
There is a terrible echo in here!!!
I have a couple more threads to check out, then I'll check back here.

Or stuck at work!:(

I don't have much to add. I'm hoping to get a chance to work on my buildings when I get home. I guess as long as I wrap up my painting in a few weeks I'll be good to go. Otherwise there is no hurry to finish anything.

Have a good night everyone.

I've been busy trying to get some projects wrapped up before cold weather arrives. Hopefully one of those projects will be creating space for a layout.

Been looking through some of the old computer parts I have for something I can use to build the fake computer for my van. So far I haven't found much to work with. Most of the stuff I have has very recognizable connectors that don't look anything like what you find on a car. This is starting to become a headache. I hope I find something useful soon but I just don't have any non-op ancient computer stuff around. Nearly all I have is stuff that even my nephew would recognize and he's got the computer literacy of a caveman.

Snow is in the forecast! :D

Finished up our football season tonight with a 20-14 victory to put our final record at 6-2!

It was an away game, 2hrs away :rolleyes:, but that didnt stop us. We got home at 11 and i packed for camp this weekend. Ill be up in a few hours to head up early, which means no school for me :), not that it matters, the majority of the team already made sure to take the day off :cool:.

Have a good one!

hehe looks clean here ! try to avoid spilling orange juice on the floor, otherwise its get sticky.... :rolleyes: the montreals canadiens got clutched tonight 0-3 vs new jersey. I still cannot understand why they traded the best goaler we had in 10 years and keept the #2 goaler...
:mad::mad::mad:

You can blame my Dana for me not being here much!:D I been kept bussy tending other things that need some greasing here and there!:D:p

Checking in, things are going great for me! I said before, "my life is a country song being played backwards! LOL's" Last weekend we spent on the beach the water was in the upper 70's. Winter is on it's way down here.... My work is going fine, lot's to do and very little time to do it.... Well got to get ready for work, another fun weekend on it's way!

bacon.png

Flo, I'll have one of these!!! :D:D:D
Not much going on here, temps in the high 50's during the day, about 38 at night. The woodstove is both a blessing and a curse. By the time it heats the upstairs to 70 degrees, it's almost 90 in the basement!!!!:eek:
That means I'm sitting at the computer or the workbench in my shorts!!:eek:
We have vents in the basement ceiling , going to Lowes this weekend to get small fans that fit the vents to force the air upstairs.
Thats was the curse.
The Blessing is the electric baseboard heat has not been used. Those suckers are expensive to run, wood is cheap by comparison, so more money stays here!!!!
Gonna try to install operating ditch lights on my GP39-3 tonight. Little guys are smaller than the tip of a ball point pen, but bright as heck.
Still wondering though why I do things like this to myself. Itty bitty parts with wires like hair, gotta use a pair of reading glasses and a magnifier lamp to install them. The Marquis de Sade has got nuthin on me!:rolleyes:

Good morning folks

It was 45 F as I headed out this bright morning. Our high today will be 57 F.

We had a little running to do last night. My son completed and got his blue card signed for his Personal Fitness and Family Life Merit badges. My wife is pulling her hair out. She has to rewrite several programs for the museum for their home school programs and Girl Scout programs. Apparently the person who was doing them did a very poor job with them. The person abruptly left about three weeks.

This weekend will be a little nuts. It is the last weekend for Scout popcorn Show and Sales. My son has a community service project with his Boy Scout troop. It is their road clean-up day. My wife is working on Saturday. She has Girl Scout Brownies in the morning and Boy Scout Reptile and Amphibian Study merit badge in the afternoon.

If we are going to get a frost tonight I am going to have to pull the filter from the fish pond and sink the water plants.

Maybe somewhere in the madness there will be train time.

I hope everybody has a good day.

You guys are making me hungry with these pictures!

Good morning everyone.

Chris, glad to hear you're keeping busy with work and play.

Karl, I miss having a wood burning stove. At least in the winter I do!

Tom, every time I think I'm busy I just have to read your post. I have tons of free time compared to you.

We're back to seasonable weather around here. Highs in the 50's and lows in the upper 30's. All of a sudden we're busy at work again. It's funny how the right weather puts people in the mood to shop.

I looked at my layout last night. That's the extent of my modeling. Hopefully tonight I can get at it. Now that I'm motivated to work on it my time is filling in with other obligations. I guess that's the way life goes.

We have a marathon in town tomorrow with the finish line right in front of our store. That means the road is closed in front of us and our parking lot is being used by the city for the after race festivities. Add two thousand runners and their friends and that means no business for us. Granted, someone may wander in, but our actual customers won't be able to get within twin miles of us. Maybe I should bring my building kit down to here to work on tomorrow!

Have a great day everyone.

Greetings all from Sherwood Forest (or closest to)

NMRA British Region convention weekend. So far it's Been great. 4 hours of layout operation followed by some bargain hunting. Bagged me an Athearn P42 for $25

Looking forward to some of the clinics tomorrow. As for now it's pub time.

Have a great weekend all and take care.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back