Coffee Shop XXV

Status
Not open for further replies.
Deer whisle effectiveness is discutable, since at 35mph, the noise comming from the tire of the car just beat it, and given the fact that really high sound frequencies cannot travel long distance, i would rather install those big badass brembo brakes ( BBBB:)) to increase my chance of braking/slowing down before hitting the deer and minimize the damages

11/05/2010

Good Morning ! from Tipton IN.
anim_coffee.png

anim_snoopy.png

1.png

Diner.png

menu_breakfast_1.png
waitress3.png
beans_on_toast_with_cheeseeggs.png

:(

Good morning. It's 41 and sunny. The high will be 61.

Pretty cool here this morning. That Yankee weather has done knocked down the Mason Dixon line and invaded the south! Heater is on low (700 watts) and it's a nice 70 degrees in here. I really don't care to set foot outside right now. My ankle, knees and back ache enough as it is. I have decided that I'm going to get started on the rerouting of the layout wiring today no matter what it takes. It has to be done before I can advance any farther with the modifications to the layout. My jigsaw seems to be non-operational so I'll have to use my drill with a 1 inch bore bit to cut out the part of the layout top that will be removed. That should prove to be interesting.

OUch! How did you keep it from rusting through the paint? Every S10 and ranger around here looks like the body is falling off.

OddTodd-
Rust is the by-product of mixing that white, cold fuzzy stuff with salt and salt substitues in low temperature locales.

Magnesium chloride used on some interstate highways is causing electrical flash-over on the insulators of high voltage transmission lines. Corrosion is becoming a problem on the cables, connectors and hardware on lines within half a mile of the "salted" roadways.

Vehicles throw up a caustic spray that is blown onto the power lines. The contaminates react with aluminum and galvanized stel components until rain eventually washes the parts clean.

Now, you have something else to model on modern layouts set in northern climates, rusty vehicles and transmission towers.

Have a great weekend!

Hi fellows! How about some lunch.

We had an exciting evening yesterday. We had just started watching TV and all snuggled to a warm fire in the fireplace, when we heard a loud roar that I first thought was a big truck outside. Then my brain went into gear and I had the wife run outside to see if there was fire coming out of the chimney. YUP, lots of it!:eek::eek: I immediately got a pan of water and started splashing some on the fire to create steam while the wife called the fire dept. When they got here, only sparks were coming out. They continued what I had done and did a full inspection in the attic, etc, and everything was all right. FYI:They said I did the right thing by splashing the water in and not dumping it or getting a garden hose, as it could have cracked the chimney liner tiles by cooling them to quickly and caused expensive damage. (thank you fire brigade training, 35 years ago:) )Yeah, it was our fault:eek:: I haven't had the chimney cleaned in five years and we use the fireplace a lot during the winter. Needless to say, the Mad Hatter chimney sweep will be here next week.;)

Going to be cold tonight in heartland Dixie, by anyone's standard ...down into the 20's, they say. Nope! No fire in the fireplace :D.

CUL:)

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi fellows! How about some lunch.

Going to be cold tonight in heartland Dixie, by anyone's standard ...down into the 20's, they say. Nope! No fire in the fireplace :D.

CUL:)
You are going to be colder than us rex! It's only supposed to be 34 here tonight. Now my big question is how do you model rust? lol

Mikey
Rust is the by-product of mixing that white, cold fuzzy stuff with salt and salt substitues in low temperature locales.

While driving through town this morning I noticed a new auto parts store and their sign "Replacement parts from the South, No Rust"
Ah! well Y'all keep smucking them up so we kin have parts for our rust buckets up here :D
Actually Mikey has it right, there's no rust on either of my vehicles because being retired they're only on the road when it's clear. Can't say the same for those people who have to drive to work each day.

Cheers
Willis

Oddtodd: Where are you? Reason I'm asking is that your low for tonight and the low here tonight are only 1 degree different. Your 34 to our 33.

While driving through town this morning I noticed a new auto parts store and their sign "Replacement parts from the South, No Rust"
No rust maybe but the mud, sand and high humidity here cause other types of corrosion that eat away at metals of all types including one that has a healthy appetite for aluminum. Anybody who has seen the white flaky coating that can eat away a transmissions housing knows what I'm talking about.

I am in ohio, right next to 70 and the indiana line. It's just a little town called eaton, OH. Not many people here, but we are big enough to have a walmart. lol

Thought I would double check the forecast:

From the NWS:
Tonight...Partly cloudy in the evening then becoming clear. Lows in the upper 20s. Northwest winds around 5 mph in the evening then becoming light.
Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!:D

BTW: Is your name Todd?? Regardless, glad to have you aboard. :)

I am in ohio, right next to 70 and the indiana line. It's just a little town called eaton, OH. Not many people here, but we are big enough to have a walmart. lol
Ha. Sounds like Leesville. We're just big enough to be a tiny spot on the map with a population of about 6,000. Like you we also have a Wal-Mart (super). We also have a super Lowe's home improvement store and not too long ago we picked up a Walgreen's. Other than that there's not much here. For excitement we watch the cars rust.

Looking at the spiderweb of wiring under the layout I've decided to rip it all out and rewire it completely. There's only one turnout that will be out of my reach so that makes that part easy. I have the wire hanger clamps for the running of the buss lines and the feeder wires are already in place. The layout is DCC so it shouldn't take too long. Certainly a shorter time than working out what wires went where.

Now that I have the wiring moved out of the way it will soon be time to remove the middle section from the front of the layout so it can become a walk in design. It'll certainly make it easier on me as I won't have to crawl under the layout to correct problems, clean a/c filter, etc. When you're my age there are some things that can't be done as easily as they were at 25. Not to get ready for the shoulder and back massage I know is to come. My jigsaw is kaput so I have to use my drill with a 1 inch bore bit to remove the middle section.
This the current track plan:
trackplan-2-2.jpg

And this the new plan with the middle section removed:
trackplan-2-3.jpg

By the time I'm finished I hope to be in somewhat better shape than this:
skeleton13.jpg

OUch! How did you keep it from rusting through the paint? Every S10 and ranger around here looks like the body is falling off.

Garage kept, and barely 80,000 miles on the clock after 22 years. THATS how ya keep em fresh! :D

Thought I would double check the forecast:

From the NWS:
Tonight...Partly cloudy in the evening then becoming clear. Lows in the upper 20s. Northwest winds around 5 mph in the evening then becoming light.
Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!:D

BTW: Is your name Todd?? Regardless, glad to have you aboard. :)

Yep my name is really Todd, and since I have schizoaffective disorder I am also odd. lol

I've got most of the drill work done and I feel like I've gone 6 rounds with an octopus. The holes are 1 to 2 inches apart. I'll cut through the area between them with a finishing saw. More hard work but a workout is supposed to be good for you. If my doctor knew what I was doing he'd probably have me tied up in the corner. Another hour to hour and a half should see the middle section removed. After that there's a part of a 2x4 going across the front that has to be cut and taken out. I've already put in an addition leg to take the weight of the west side of the layout when the beam is cut.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back