Coffee Shop XLI-2/23/2014

I hope everyone enjoyed their weekend. It was actually quite nice around here for a change. I spent some time trying to place ground cover on parts of the layout, with mixed success.

I took time out last night to watch some hockey. My NJ Devils are still alive, barely, but playing good, spirited hockey right now. If they played this way all season, they would definitely be in the playoffs. Speaking of road kill, the Toronto Maple Leafs looked like they were run over by a "Jet" last night....no wonder they were wearing paper bags over their heads at the ACC last night.
Later,

Joe

Good Morning!

It's Mon 4/7/14

BLUECOFFEEMAN.png

pouring_coffee1-Copy.png

trainwreck.png

:cool:

Tipton.gif

Temperature in TIPTON IN

Speaking of road kill, the Toronto Maple Leafs looked like they were run over by a "Jet" last night....no wonder they were wearing paper bags over their heads at the ACC last night.

Go Jets Go! Oh yeah, we are out of the playoffs AGAIN :( Oh well, there's always next year....

Go Jets Go! Oh yeah, we are out of the playoffs AGAIN :( Oh well, there's always next year....

Patience is a virtue not found in hockey fans. But when one considers that the last time the Maple Leafs won the Cup was the year I hired on the Railroad, 1967. I have been retired five years, after a 42 year career, so that's 47 years, and they are unlikely to make the playoffs again this year........I'm betting the Jets will be in the playoffs next year. Paul Maurice is really not a bad coach. Here in Jersey, it's beginning to look like next year, again:mad:. Time to send Pete de Bore back to the OHL. Go Devils!

Joe

Good morning. 41F, drizzly and dreary here in central MD, perfect day for modelrai- ...oh crap it's Monday, I have to be at work!:(

Hope Jeffrey's recovering OK, if any of you have his hospital mailing address could you please PM it to me? There may still be time...

The weather this weekend was beautiful, but my lawn is mushy from all the rain and snow that has inundated us these past 4 months. There is a layer of solid granite ~5 feet below the surface, so rainwater doesn't get absorbed deep down as quickly as in less-rocky areas. [But this does have a silver lining: That layer of granite also discourages developers from putting up large subdivisions in the surrounding area, because excavating to install pipes for city water and sewers here would be prohibitively expensive!]

So, whenever I wasn't doing Dads Taxi Service for my 15yr-old daughter, I worked on putting the last structures on my layout's steel mill peninsula. The final piece was an ore boat for the harbor scene. This should have been a 5-minute task of transferring the ship from the mantlepiece where it has sat for the past four years since I started demolishing the old layout. Unfortunately, a huge amount of dust and ash from the fireplace settled onto all its horizontal surfaces. That led me to spend ~90 minutes air-blasting away the residue, mainly because I had to keep waiting for the compressor to build up air pressure again (5 minutes to charge, 20 seconds to deplete). And even after all that, there is still a dust-colored patina. Only repainting can restore the vessel to her original beauty, but I simply don't have time for that now - so it won't be appearing in any photos anytime soon. I want to start running trains again...

Good Morning Y'all!

42°, and overcast, with rain later in the day. I need to replace the wipers on the wife's car, and have a $15.00 off coupon from Pep Boys, so that's the project du jour. There is more to do on the layout, but that might have to wait.

Hopefully, our friend Jeffrey is healing. I miss his posts.

Joe

Good evening.....

Had a good trip with model railroad friends to a model train store over 100 miles away yesterday. We bought various items needed for projects we are working on.

I replied to Ken's request for Jeff's hospital mailing address. It is a slow recovery. He is getting physical therapy too.

Good morning tuesday people, 56* degrees, hopefully rising to 60*+ soon, partly sunny. Was predicted to rain and yet is looking nice and trying to sunshine. Just realized have not heard the local freight train horn blast lately. I live on a slight hill above and about six blocks from where the tracks pass through downtown by the grain elevators then on to rolls royce energy sprawling generator factory industrial complex. So I can clearly hear the horn of either the switcher engine or some smaller GP type locomotive pulling a short grain train with a boxcar or two on the days it comes......but not much last week or this, hee hey! Wha? :eek: I do feel lucky to live where one can see a train roll through town occasionally....or a few days every week if one was inclined to show up for it regularly.

Need to go get haircut, then take rc helicopter to airfield for testing.......which some just call it crashing...(non-scientific types). :rolleyes:

Once the rain stopped, and the clouds lifted it was a nice day. Tried to buy replacement wiper blades for the wife's car, w/o luck. One brand had the one for the passenger side, another only had the driver side. I like matchies, so tomorrow, I go to another auto supply place.

Didn't get much done today, sort of felt tired all day. Try again tomorrow.

Joe

Wow, stopped by earlier, or at least tried to, but the door to the joint was locked!! Wazzup wit dat?? :rolleyes:

We need Jeffrey back to keep the doors unchained!

Slow in here today.
I am setting here waiting to go pick up my new pickup truck.
It is 1:00 now and the appointment is at 4:30. sigh

Waiting........... waiting.............waiting.

Time is going sooooooo slow.

It is rather quiet in here.

Hurrah, it's going to be 76 today! Of course, that's with 30mph winds too. It's been 179 days since the last time it hit 70 I guess. Why do I live here?

I installed three different sections of flex track the other day. Man, I thought I didn't enjoy installing track the first time. Trying to retro fit new into old is way worse. I have like ten more sections to go so I should be done by Christmas or so!:)

That's all I have.
Have a good day everyone.

Brrr its only 74* with a breeze but tommorrow its back to warm temps,
Man without jeffery we are lost in the darkness of the coffee shop

Slow in here today.
I am setting here waiting to go pick up my new pickup truck.
It is 1:00 now and the appointment is at 4:30. sigh

Waiting........... waiting.............waiting.

Time is going sooooooo slow.

Looks like a hic-up with the pickup.

Been a busy week around here. Had my IGG treatment Thursday, and as usual, it knocked me down for several days. Sunday, when I started feeling better, it started raining here, hard, and did not stop until the next morning. While I had some minor water problems, rain coming under doors and such, I also had some water get into the garage where the layout is. I had some magazines, MR, RMC, etc stacked on the floor and some of those got wet. At my house in approx. 6 hours, I had over 5" of rain! There were a lot of flash flooding and many areas here had to be evacuated due to flash flooding. Many homes were completely flooded and there has been extensive damage to many businesses as well. Fortunately no one was killed or injured. Some of you may have seen mention of this on the network news programs.

One thing that was a disaster is this. A year ago, one of my MRRing friends passed and I've been helping his widow eliminate many of his trains. He also had a mail order hobby shop, so there is a lot of inventory of locos, as we've been able to sell off many of the car kits he handled. There is a show coming up near here in a couple of weeks and I'd been at her house inventorying and boxing up the trains and engines, to take to the show. We had stacked all these engines into nice neat stacks on the floor, including about 50 NIB IHC Premier locos. Her basement flooded, badly, and 20 locomotives got wet, including 10 of the IHC locos. I have been spending since Monday, tearing apart, cleaning, drying out, reassembling and relubing. After this, there will be testing on a friends DC layout to insure they run well. They do so on my little test track that is the only DC track I have, as my layout is pure DCC. Testing a DC loco on it for an extensive amount of running is not an option.

Right now, I have 4 locomotives left to dry & clean, and get the boxes dried out. None of these locos will be sold at this show. When I do sell these, they will be sold at a lower price than the others due to the water damage. I have been impressed with these locos, as there is little evidence of any water inside of the locos. They are all heavier than earlier IHC's, and have blackened rods, RP-25 flanges, turned flywheels, are DCC ready and some even have provision for sound. They all run extremely smooth and quiet and it seems like they will pull rather well.

Well got to go, breaks over, back to the locos. I hope to be through in the next several hours.

Back