Coffee Shop Part VIII

Good Morning Bill & Nick ! Another wonderful day here on the Niagara Frontier . Not as bad as your swamp Steve . Our wet stuff is coming down in the shape of snow nowadays. Nick hope you and your wife have a great time down in TX,. Gonna get going so you all have a wonderful day !!!

Morning all!

Well, we got our couple of inches of snow last night. Some folks still haven't remembered how to drive in the stuff, but it was better then the other day. Those first snows are a killer. Either people are going so slow that you could crawl to work faster, or they forget that they can't stop nearly as fast as they can go. Whatever the case, today was pretty eneventful as for as accidents on the roads go. Thats good news! Tonight they're calling for sleet and freezing rain, so all bets are off for tomorrow morning! At least its a Saturday, so most folks won't have to venture out til later. I'll be out in it though. Gotta take someone to the airport bright and early. They have a 6am flight and the airport is an hour away, so I'll be up long before the sun tomorrow.

Got a great pic of my son playing bastetball with his team last night. He looks like a real pro! The team coach has asked if I'd take some pics of all of the team for a website they're designing. I told him I'd be happy to.

Oh, hey! The wifes final bandages came off yesterday! Looks like the scar isn't going to be too bad. There's still a little swelling, but she's looking more like her old self all the time! The crutches and wheelchair will still be around for a while though. Once this leg heals she's right back on the operating table to get the other one done.

So thats a peek into my little world. Whats going on in yours?

Mornin Bill and Nick, and gang!

[EDIT: Hey Paul/Alco/Phillip, when did you guys sneak in? Guess I better learn to type faster <LOL> ]

I'm not in the best of moods this morning, and its got nothing to do with the weather. My Norton Internet Security [on the home 'putor] flashed a warning that my annual subscription was about to expire, so I figured I may as well renew it. Then the next thing I know, it starts doing a system scan. I didn't want to interrupt what I was in the middle of, so I cancelled it. Apparently that really hosed things up, because now I have to completely remove my existing NIS before I can install the upgraded one. My kids are mad at me because I won't let them go on the internet until NIS is reinstalled after I get home from work, oh well better safe than sorry...

Nick I remember my college days, how I'd always be stressing over finals and trying to find time to get all my Christmas shopping done - whew!:eek:

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi fellas, watzup?

First I want to thank everyone for the messages of sympathy over my wife's Father's death. It was very unexpected, and sudden. Gathering the family took more time than usual, since he actually was the youngest in his side of the family.

We buried him in his hometown of Mobile. The USMC and local American legion posts provided military pallbearers and full miltary honors at the graveside services. They also provided a 21 gun salute, which was unusual at that cemetary, due to local neighborhood rules. My wife recieved the flag from the USMC. The flag folding ceremony was provided with a recitation by the USMC officers as they folded it. Absolutely beautiful! It brought a tear even to my eyes.

We're almost back to normal after transporting different family members to and from Mobile. I clocked well over 1800 miles, getting different folks to and from their homes.

On the RR front, I haven't got much done lately, although I am getting more enthused about at least starting back on the layout and getting some unbuilt or partially built models done. Now if I can just get my son to find another apartment so I can get his junk off of and "stored temporarily" from around the layout, I can get some more roadbed down and track done.

Mornin' everyone!

Concert went well last night. As usual the groups were well prepared and showed it in their performance. Got to see a whole bunch of my former students who were home for the Holidays. Two of my former students children were in the High School Varsity Singers (Top Group all Jrs. and Srs. by audition only)) last night. I'm starting to feel very, very old! At least they still let (beg) me to come back and "play" with the sound equipment.....

Decided That I'm not going to get to the RIT Train show and Lake Shores Division Meet tomorrow as there are just too many pressing things around here that have to get done. Oh well, hopefully I'll get a little more done on the Model Railroad Engineer - Electrical certificate that I'm trying to get done. Took the Caboose I have been detailing into School yesterday to show off (Well actually I wanted to show it to a kid who works at the LHS downtown but I wasn't about to just leave it in the truck...). The new secretary at the Middle School went nuts when she saw it! Her brother is in a local Free-Mo club and so has been exposed to the hobby for years. She kept calling people over to have me show them. I didn't mind really.

Ken L, I just use a Mac. :rolleyes: ;) :D

CJ, sounds like your Father in Law had a good and fitting send off! Good to see you back here!

Good morning folks

It has been a rough morning. My daughter woke up coughing and crying. She said that it felt like she had a lump caught in her throat. So we went off to the pediatricians’ office. She has a sinus infection and an ear infection. It then took me three pharmacies before I found one that had all the medication she needs in stock. I finally made it to work in time for our office Pollyanna drawing.

It was 29 F when we started our adventures this morning. Our high is supposed to be 38 F. We are expecting a wintry mix this afternoon and could have freezing rain tomorrow morning.

We were supposed to go on a Cub Scout trip on Saturday but we canceled it due to not enough people, but given the weather forecast of freezing rain it looks like a good thing that we are not going. Instead we may take the train into Philadelphia to see the Light Show at Macys (used to be Lord & Taylor’s; used to be John Wanamaker’s) and other Christmas displays. We also have some Christmas shopping to finish.

On the workbench I still have grab irons to install on the Walthers Reading coil cars. On the layout I am still adding details to the Farm House Area. I am also beginning to think about the next area to work on.

I hope everybody has a good day.

Ken,
I finally dropped Nortons Internet Security and went with the free McAfee Suite from Comcast. Besides the rising costs of NIS, it was really lugging down my startup and even the operations of both my computers. Like so many softwares, they put too much crap in the package that you don't need for a home computer.
I would bet though, your company insists on you using it... ????

Afternoon all. Corey, I'm glad her dad got a good send off. The Marines still know how to do things right.

Steve, I can send over some water moccasins to add to your swamp. They're real cute. :)

Nick, nothing better than finishing a semester and then getting to go to a nice party. You'll be surprised but I think the party will be way more fun than working on the train.;)

Alco, it's too bad I'm not a little closer to you or I'd be glad to come. We have to go the other direction to Birmingham to watch Prattville play Spain Park for the state football championship.

Philip, it doesn't sound like it will be a pleasant drive to the airport so take it easy. I'm glad to hear your wife continues to heal although I'm sure she's not looking forward to going through it all again. :(

Ken, Norton has given me fits also and has gotten so bloated over the years that it's starting to make my computer run like a slug. I'm going to switch to AVG, which is just as effective as Norton without al the fluff.

Ray, sounds like a great concert. I haven't been to a Christmas concert for years so I really should go to one. Pretty neat excuse with the caboose..."Well, I couldn't leave it in the truck". :D Don't feel too smug about your Mac. There are an increasing number of virus that affect the Mac and more to come.

Tom, sorry to hear about your daughter but kids seem to get sinus and ear infections at the drop of a hat. I'm sure she'll be fine in a few days. I don't know which is worse - Cub Scouts in the freezing rain or downtown Christmas shopping in freezing rain. :eek: Probably shopping but not by much.

Rex, I hope McAfee works out for you. I had nothing but problems with it, which is why I switched to Norton, which is now giving me nothing but problems. I think I have bad body magnetics when it comes to computers.

Another nice day in Dixe, with a temperature of 66 going to a high of about 74. Might even hit 80 tomorrow. Nice but we sure need sme rain and there's none on the horizon for at least another week. Have to go out and finish applying some Prattville Lions decals to cowbells I painted white (white and maroon are the school colors) and seal everything with glosscote. Kinda sounds like something to do with a railroad but not quite. :rolleyes:

good evening gents,

hope your all fit and well for the weekend, off to see a steamer come through in the morning, hope it's not raining, then off to a big train show for the rest of the day,,, thought i'd better up the overdraught limit just in case i spend to much.

I don't know which is worse - Cub Scouts in the freezing rain or downtown Christmas shopping in freezing rain. :eek: Probably shopping but not by much.

I will have to take the shopping in the freezing rain. It is a 3 mile drive to the train station and a 20 minute ride in a warm train versus a 51 mile one way trip to Paradise with the Cub Scouts in the freezing rain.:D

Hey guys, this is a sad day. I have come to the conclusion that I will be closing my business, declaring bankruptcy, and selling the house. This is not a good day. My train layout will be a major casualty of this ordeal. I can't justify moving it into storage. To be honest with you, it's probably not worth saving anyway. I'll rip up whatever track I can and package the trains and buildings in boxes. I'm hoping to find a townhouse with a basement. If this is the case, I may try building a modular layout. We'll see, right now it's way down on the priority list. The positive is getting out from a crushing debt load. I haven't paid my self in a year. After regrouping, maybe I'll be able to find a house with a bigger space for trains. The thought of eventually having a bigger layout with bigger curves sounds somewhat appealing. We'll see. Sorry for the downer of a post. I'm not too happy right now.:(

Hi Gang:
Cary I'm sorry to hear about your wifes dad. She has my deepest sympathes and you and her family.
Ken it sounds like you are in deep dodo with the family.
The weather here is warm about 64 right now. I'm thinking about turning on the A/C for a bit. It's been hot then cool then hot then cold. No wonder that I got a cold. It's better now but for a couple of days it was interesting.
Daisy the dog just went to bed so Ii guess that's my signal.
Good Night All

Thanks Paul, I appreciate it. I really didn't think that it would come to this. We've managed to skate past other bad periods. This time we won't make it. The plus is being able to get a job and make between 30 and 40 a year. We will be almost doubling what we're taking home right now. It's just the process that sucks. I'm afraid of not having any room for trains in an apartment/townhouse. It will be a few years before we could buy another house. Oh well, at least we have our health!

Corey, I'm sorry to hear you had to make that decision but I'm sure you've explored all the options. This may be a blessing in disguise since I don't think the economy is going to get better any time soon and your first loss is the cheapest loss. I'm sure you'll get back on your feet and space for a train will come with time. Just concentrate on what's before you today. The model railroad will take of itself at the right time.

Your Attention Please!

I was going to let Jeff make his own announcement, but it appears that he'll be unable to do so.

Our own Jeffrey Wimberly has had terminal problems with his computers and internet connection. I spoke with him yesterday and he said that he doesn't see the picture changing anytime soon. He believes at this point that he will be off of the internet indefinately. He said he still may log in from friends computers from time to time, but for the most part he will not be here much anymore.

It's is truely a sad thing. I'll miss his daily weather report as well as all of the other valued input he has given to this site and many others over the years.

Hope to see you on the net soon Buddy!

12-08-2007

Good Morning from Tipton IN ! :D

TIPTONDEPOT.png

:eek:

donuts1.png
THECOFFEESHOP.png
3dflagsdotcom_usa_2fawl.png

BreakfastMenu.png

Back