Coffee shop part 9

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mornin' everyone!

Another typical early Spring day here in the Finger Lakes. Low 40's and showers. They are predicting about 1/4" of rain today.

I have to get everything ready for my NMRA Division clinic tomorrow. I am OK with the slide Show but have to get some examples ready to go and packed.

Next week I can go back to being just retired. It will be good to actually have some time to get more scenery and models done. Reading through the MR Certificate requirements, I can get retroactive points for being a Railroading Merit Badge Councilor going back to the time I joined the NMRA and a point for each Scout I counseled that got the badge. I need to redo the paperwork and get it in to the Scout Office as last fall they had to drop all MB Councilors that hadn't filled out the new form w/ background check.

Good Morning, Everyone.

Paul, it always seems to be raining or snowing up on the Niagra Frontier.

Phillip, looks like you, at least will finally get a touch of spring this weekend. Have fun with the wheelchair jogging. :)

Carl, 7 weeks to repave a residential road? They build freeways faster than that in California. Where are you supposed to leave you car if you can't get to your driveway?

Jeffrey, looks like similar weather here but we have a pretty good chance of severe storms and the possibility of tornados later this afternoon. It's already 71 with a dewpoint of 66 so the atmosphere is already primed. I'm hoping this one wimps out like the others we've gotten in the past month but this system already has a severe weather history in Oklahoma and Arkansas so it bears watching.

Time to get ready for the officer's funeral. I just put on my old uniform and it seems to have shrunk over the past four years. I wonder why? :(

I hope everyone has a good day.

Phillip, looks like you, at least will finally get a touch of spring this weekend. Have fun with the wheelchair jogging. :)

I'm actually quite looking forward to it! I love to go walking with my wife. We talk about all sorts of things. And now that I think about it, my son has an electric scooter for disabled people that my wife can take. That'll make the walk all the more enjoyable!

Jim - We will park on one of the side streets while the roadwork is being done. I should also clarify, they will remove the whole roadbed and start from scratch. It will be about a 3 foot deep hole when it is all torn out. They also be installing storm drains but, I am unclear on that right now. The real kicker is that it is only about 1/4 of a mile long. I'll probably be able to keep evryone updated with progress pics too. :D

Good morning folks

It was 45 F when I head out late to work. High today with the rain will be in the upper 50s. I was late this morning because I am dealing with an ear infection and the pain had me up half the night. I called the doctor and I am waiting for them to call something in.

No modeling last night. My daughter had girl scouts. And we continued another step in the window blind odyssey as we tired the fourth size in the window. We returned try number three. I have not attempted to see if number four will fit.

This weekend we are supposed to have Little League photos on both days. I think my son’s will get rained out on Saturday in which case I may do the last bit of Cub Scout training I need to finish. My wife and daughter are doing a sleep over at the Delaware Museum of Natural History on Saturday night with her Girl Scout troop. It looks like my son and I will have to do the bi-weekly grocery store run on our own.

I would like to finish entering the boxcars into the computer inventory and perhaps start the passenger equipment. Also I still have not figured out what the next project will be. Maybe I should spruce up the work bench and layout and see if anything inspires me.

I hope everybody has a good day.

Had an hour at school today watching the boys do there holiday performance, they sang songs, and showed off there work from the term, all in all a fantastic afternoon.

...Had a letter in our front door yesterday to inform us about our road getting reconstructed starting Monday. We will not have access to our driveway for at least 7 weeks, probably longer considering how the crews "work" around here. :mad:

Darn Carl, they are faster than that here in the South...RIGHT, JIM! :D
Sounds like a major water/sewer project.;)

I finally got my official fire fighter license plate this morning. It only involved getting a letter of certification (certifying that I'm a fire fighter) from my fire chief and jumping through more hoops than I cared to count. The renewal fee is $45 every two years and requires a new letter of certification each time. That's no problem since it's now on file at the fire station. Was it worth all the trouble and heartburn? Yes. Here's a couple of photos. The plate number has been removed for security reasons.

FFP1.jpg

FFP2.jpg

Good morning.

It's a bracing 54 degrees outside under a cloudy sky which will give way the partly cloudy conditions this afternoon. A high of 74 is expected.

Today's Weather for:
Sundown, LA 71446-6114 4/5/2008

Wind Chill: 52°F
Humidity: 94%
Dew Point: 52°F

So Far Today
High: 59°F
Low: 54°F
Rain: 0.00"
Rain Rate: 0.00"/h
Gust: 12mph N

The Flood Warning Continues For The Sabine River Near Bon Weir. * Until Further Notice...Or Until The Warning Is Cancelled. * At 9:15 PM Friday The Stage Was 33.2 Feet. * Moderate Flooding Is Occurring And Moderate Flooding Is Forecast. * Flood Stage Is 30.0 Feet. * Forecast...The River Will Continue Rising To Near 33.3 Feet By Tomorrow Morning Then Begin Falling. * At Stages Near 33.0 Feet, Moderate Lowland Flooding Will Occur. Low-Lying Roads And A Few Homes Have Some Flooding Between Bon Weir And Merryville. Camp Houses Along The River In Southwest Vernon Parish Begin To Flood.

Today High: 75 Mostly cloudy early in the morning then clearing. Highs in the mid 70s. North winds 10 to 15 mph.

Tonight Low: 48 Partly cloudy. Lows in the upper 40s. Light and variable winds.

weekends here so the stupid windows PC is playing stupid tricks,,, i'm going to get a MAC if it carries on, i don't use internet explorer but use mozzila firefox, it's even locking this up, ad-aware has found and deleted over 300 corrupt files so far today

I've been going through very similar things with my PC lately too Steve. Also using Firefox and Ad-Aware, which located about 400 bits of spyware this week, and I am ready for a change too. :(

Mornin' all!

Not much goin' on here.....and I plan to keep it that way!

It's supposed to hit 60 degrees later, so I might just have to take the little lady out or a stroll. Then tonight, we hit the church to hang out with friends and listen to another great sermon. Can't wait!

Check ya later!

Morning All ! Just came in from outside . Hyacinths are finally poking up from the ground . Spring just may be here ! Jeffrey , that is one fine License plate you have !!! . Well gotta get outside and enjoy the weather . Hope you all can have a good day also ! Steve you may be on to something . My daughter use internet explorer and my spyware and virus protector has been going nuts the last week or so ! Carl about six years ago our whole street was recontructed . They dug my fron yard down and graded it street level . I'm about five feet above the grade of the street . So they leveled it out and it makes it a heck of alot easier to get in and out of the driveway . But there is still enough of an incline that you can get stuck trying to get in in the winter . but to make a long story short . They notified us about a month ahead of time but it was a pain for about a mont untill they finished the project . I ivve in the dead center of the block . So I had to park around the corner and then walk in . not so bad untill you carry in the groceries .

Last edited by a moderator:
Morning everyone. Just checking in before I spend Saturday down at the University here in Sacramento at the Golden Empire Choral festival. Wish us luck, okay? This is the first time in the 40-plus year history of our high school that we've ever entered a choir in the festival, and we're really excited. Taking my 22-voice male chamber singers, and they're one HOT little group of goofy, loveable guys who just sound GREAT together. We're doing doo-Wop ("In the Still of the Night"), a sacred piece ("Anima Christie") and ending with a really wild arrangement of the Beach Boy's "Barbara Ann". They should do really well, we all prayed together yesterday for a good showing today. I'm taking them early so that they can hear the Nevada Union High School Men's Chorus--which is reputedly the best high school male ensemble on the West Coast. So wish us luck, okay? As I said, they're REALLY charged up about entering their first festival. I think they'll do really well.

Best to all.
Tom :D

Carl Damned stupid pop ups are driving me mad, there is one right now flashing and making a noise, it won't go away for anything no matter how many times i close it, the ad-aware program is having a feast today

I just finished installing Digitrax DZ125 decoders in two Athearn BB's, an F7-A and a GP50.

Pics of the units are in Weekend Photo Fun.

Tom best of luck at the festival. That is a great thing to get the guys in the choir working really hard. I know they will be excellent!

Steve and Carl go for that Mac! You will love it. Only problem is with Mac gaining more of the computer market, it makes it more attractive to those idiots that write mal-ware. At this point in time I haver been trusting the filters that Road Runner uses but soon I will have to look into some of the software available on the Mac side to be safe..... Knock on wood, I have never had any problem with my Macs.

I got to do the presentation about 12:30 today. About half of the people had already left the meet by that time. But I got some good feedback from those that were there. I kept my presentation to about 30 minutes so people could go have some lunch (I was the last presentation of the day). The only layout on display was the Rochester Model Railroad Club which is excellent. I think fun was had by all.

http://www.safer-networking.org/en/index.html
for Spy Bot Similar to Ad Aware but a lot better and it will find anything on it's list and destroy it. There are lots of options with this including constant monitoring it will stop any important change to the register and allow you to ok it or deny the change (however it doesn't seem to be able to get at the stuff hidden in restore (no problem Avast will take care of that)
It won't hurt to leave Ad Aware by Lavasoft, if it's not by Lavasoft it's part of the problem.
http://www.download.com/SpywareBlaster/3000-8022_4-10196637.html
for Spy Ware Blaster (this works in the background and anything on it's list just doesn't get in)
http://www.avast.com/eng/avast_4_home.html
will get you Avast anti virus. This one will clear the crap out of the restore area if its set to scan on start up, it will also warn you if there's a link to a virus on the web page you're looking at.
All these programs are free to the home user. It's been well over 2 years since I've had a pop up or virus. I dumped Norton AV, then installed Avast, set it to scan on startup and it cleaned out 298 viruses (Trojans mostly) and I wasn't having near the problems you fellows seem to be having. (Shows what Norton AV was doing for me)
Try it, you'll like it :D
Cheers Willis
If you have Norton, dump it, With Avast you don't have to delete the questionable file, you can save it to the chest and decide later to destroy or restore it. Avast updates itself daily automatically. The others you have to check for updates.

BTW I also run Firefox, never use the IE explorer actually it's so integrated into the windows prog that it gives the network total access to your PC, Fire Fox being an independent program will just crash when it's attacked, since it can't handle the requests coming from the network. When Fire fox crashes be thankful.
Just my honest opinion, I don't have pop ups or viruses and it's a rare thing when Fire fox crashes, and then all I have to do is click on the icon and it restores to the page only no crash on this log on. Strange eh!

Cheers Willis

Hi, everyone. It's about 7:30 out here in SunnyCal, I just got back from the choral festival and-----

WE ROCKED! WE RULE!

My Jesuit boys in their very first festival got TOP Honors--Superior ratings!! Just got back from the party at a local ice cream shop (where we all gorged on banana splits) and our hands are sore from slapping each other's backs, my back is sore from all the hugs, my mouth is in a permanent grin. We had three Adjudicators, one who came down after the performance to work with us, and all she could say was--"Where have you guys BEEN?" And I KNOW this Adjudicator, I've worked with her many times, and she's TOUGH! But she was just delighted at what we did and what we've accomplished in less than a year of being together. After, she caught me and asked how many of them will be graduating this year, I told her about a third and that we were already auditioning replacements. She just grinned and said, "Just keep bringing them BACK!"

For a high school whose entire choral program had to be re-built from the ground up three years ago, that's mighty fine to hear. Anyway, just wanted to let you all know. If I come back down to earth by tomorrow, I'm going to go out in the garage and keep working on my locomotive servicing facility. Except that I think occasionally I'll be interrupting the work to just jump up and down and yell YESSSSS!!!! at the top of my voice. As usual, the neighbors will think that Tom's lost it again, LOL! :D

Tom

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back