Coffee Shop 31 Feb 12th

Status
Not open for further replies.
........ I wasnt considering anything in particular regarding the military. If i enlisted it would most likely be with either the marines or the army, but nothing in specific within those branches.
Matt
Matt, there are many of us Vets on this forum and I'm sure you would get varying advice. The first thing you should do is ask yourself: do I want to enlist to gain training and experience in a field of work that can be used in civilian life, or am I enlisting only to have time to decide what major in college I want to pursue. All branches have excellent training, but the Air Force and Navy probably offers the best opportunities to land technical related fields, simply because of their support mission. Even though the Army and Marines have some of the same, their main area of responsibility is ground pounding with a weapon. All of the branches will place you where your aptitude serves them best. So: Grunt? Technician? or WHO Cares?:D
Oops! Don't forget the Coast Guard.

Last edited by a moderator:
Evening Guys,

Nothing too much going on here, I did some work on the layout getting a switch corrected that wasn't quite right, it's now in place but I might decide to change the throw arm rod to a smaller size.
I did something a little different on the throw arm connector between the points. I used to use a piece of brass rod bent into a flat based U and flattened on the ends, to span the point width and solder it in place and then solder the throw arm to it which could get a bit tricky being two pieces of rod.

So last night instead of using brass rod I used some short pieces of code 55 rail bent into the same flat based U and soldered it to the base of the points. This now gave me a perfect area, the web section to solder the rod to and it worked out so much easier. The code 55 rail is lower in height than the profile ties so it works out great and changing the larger rod I used for the throw arm should be simple.

Have a good evening.

Rex and Patrick- Thanks for the tips! I guess you could say im considering both, spending time in the armed forces to figure out what i want to do in college before starting a career. Im kind of leaning towards going to college and then the service, because ill only be 17 when i graduate High School.

Time for me to call it a night. I checked some places where I have my GP30's listed. They seem to be attracting some attention. See y'all tomorrow.

P1011121.jpg

200 posts and I haven't stopped by yet? Where have I been....:eek:

My parents stopped by on Sunday for the day. It's the first time since last Sept. that they've been here. We went to a winery and tasted some of their wine. Every wine they had was oh so good.:) That's about all that's happened around here.

good morning everybody its 31* snow / rain are building in as the day progresses so buy nitefall northern NH is going to get snow but us in southern NH its going to be rain :rolleyes: my day is mostly continuing to pack for the move to FLA :cool::cool:

good morning everybody its 31* snow / rain are building in as the day progresses so buy nitefall northern NH is going to get snow but us in southern NH its going to be rain :rolleyes: my day is mostly continuing to pack for the move to FLA :cool::cool:

Good morning folks

It was 42 F and raining as I hit the roadways this morning. Our high will be 56 F and we are under a Wind Advisory.

It has been a busy, crazy week. Last weekend we took my daughter for a visit to Juniata College. She really liked the college and so did we. We also had a meeting with the assistant volleyball coach. For my daughter to have a chance to play for them she is going to have to work her butt off. They maybe a Division III school but they play and beat Division II and I schools. The only drawback was the 4 ½ hour drive one way.

The rest of the week was volleyball practice and meetings at work. I also found out about the sudden death of former co-worker. She was only 40 so it was quite a shock to the office.

I am still having some issues with the blood pressure. I was off one of the medication for a week and my blood pressure shot up. I am now back on the medication and the blood pressure has come down to where it should be. I am hoping the bottom does not fall out again. I have been getting the tiredness and light headedness again so I am monitoring things closely.

Tomorrow my daughter has a volleyball tournament. We are hoping that they do well. If they play like they are capable they should. The coach has already warned them if they don’t play the way they should Tuesday’s practice will be harder than normal.

I hope everybody has a good day.

Good morning. It's 56° and cloudy. The high will be 65° and it'll be mostly cloudy. Wind is from the north at ten to twenty mph.

Didn't get a chance to do it yesterday so today I'll see if I can get the U25C decaled. Also have some more cleaning to do on the layout, just picking stuff up and putting it away. Went with my father yesterday to get the gas cans for the tractors filled. That was about $62 for eighteen gallons plus he got both tanks on his truck filled. That's been a long time for that to happen. It's been in my nephew's possession for so long for repairs that he almost forgot what it looked like. But the exhaust system has been replaced, including replacing the manifolds which were both badly cracked, the piston rings were replaced and the top of the engine rebuilt (heads reworked, valves cleaned, two weak lifters replaced), injectors replaced, throttlebody serviced, several sensors replaced, ECM replaced, brakes redone. All that was done for the cost of replacing the exhaust system. My nephew did most of the work himself. That's a lot of work to put into a twenty year old Ford 150 but my father has the habit of hanging onto a truck until it absolutely can't be repaired. Cars are a different story. He'll buy, sell and trade them like he changes shirts.

P1011300.jpg

Good morning. It's 56° and cloudy. The high will be 65° and it'll be mostly cloudy. Wind is from the north at ten to twenty mph.

Didn't get a chance to do it yesterday so today I'll see if I can get the U25C decaled. Also have some more cleaning to do on the layout, just picking stuff up and putting it away. Went with my father yesterday to get the gas cans for the tractors filled. That was about $62 for eighteen gallons plus he got both tanks on his truck filled. That's been a long time for that to happen. It's been in my nephew's possession for so long for repairs that he almost forgot what it looked like. But the exhaust system has been replaced, including replacing the manifolds which were both badly cracked, the piston rings were replaced and the top of the engine rebuilt (heads reworked, valves cleaned, two weak lifters replaced), injectors replaced, throttlebody serviced, several sensors replaced, ECM replaced, brakes redone. All that was done for the cost of replacing the exhaust system. My nephew did most of the work himself. That's a lot of work to put into a twenty year old Ford 150 but my father has the habit of hanging onto a truck until it absolutely can't be repaired. Cars are a different story. He'll buy, sell and trade them like he changes shirts.

P1011300.jpg

That's an old Bachmann 0-6-0 from the 80's. The little pancake motor that was in it had burned out so I pulled the motor and the gears, removed a couple of domes and some parts and painted it with Rust-Oleum Rusty Metal Primer.

Have you seen the Weathered Box Car listed on Ebay w/8 bidders. It's up to $172.00.
I had told everyone on the Forum I was going to list a bunch of old stock by this weekend. Well, that won't happen. The guys wife came over today & demanded that I give everything back because her husband didn't have the say-so to sell her stuff. I tried to talk to her about it, but, she started yelling that I better give the stuff back & she had the money in her hand.
So, I gave all of it back to her & helped her load it into her VW bug & she threw the money on the ground & left. I thought I was going to get shot. She was really mad. I hope I never have to do any business w/those people again, ever.
A friend called me about a half hour ago & said he saw all of it in an Antique store in downtown Arcadia this afternoon. he said they were asking $500.00 for all of it.:mad:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back