Coffee Shop 15

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good morning.

It's 47 and clear. The high will be in the low 70's and it will be clear.

I completed the construction of the town hall kit yesterday and started in on the engine house kit which I completed this morning and have set in place on the layout. The older structure it replaced will be added onto another engine house as a machine shop.

Today's Weather for:
Sundown, LA 71446-6114 4/3/2009

Wind Chill: 44°F
Humidity: 85%
Dew Point: 43°F

So Far Today
High: 54°F
Low: 47°F
Rain: 0.00"
Rain Rate: 0.00"/h
Gust: 7mph NW

Today High: 72 Mostly sunny. Highs in the lower 70s. North winds 5 to 10 mph in the morning becoming southeast in the afternoon.

Tonight Low: 50 Mostly clear. Lows around 50. Southeast winds around 5 mph.

http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm18/forum-2/DSCN0758.jpg

Good morning folks

It was 55 F and raining as I took the kids to school this morning. Our high today will be 65 F with some thunderstorms.

It is my birthday and I took the day off. However, it won’t be all rest. I have a bunch of things to do to get ready for our Blue and Gold Banquet. I have about 10 stores to hit to pick up things. On top of that I had to take one of the dogs to the vets for a routine blood test. My wife was supposed to help but she got called in to work to fill in for someone who got sick this morning. She is on her way to the outreach now.

Yesterday she brought home a zoo from work since the museum was closed after she got done her outreach. We had a frog, a toad, a turtle, a bearded dragon, a snake, and a poisonous tree frog on our kitchen counter last night. We had a funny moment right before I went to bed. I came into the kitchen and noticed some water droplets on the floor near the dogs/cats water dish. Our younger cat was sitting nearby looking half curious half terrified. At first I did not see anything but then I saw something in the water dish. Sitting like he belonged there was the frog. So I then had to catch him which took a while. The cat was a lot of help. Every time the frog jumped at him he ran the other way and then would slink back. I finally caught the frog and put him back in his container and found that the tab on the lid was broken so I had to put something on it to hold it down.

Tomorrow is the Cub Scout Blue and Gold Banquet. Sunday is recovery day and perhaps my family will take me out for my birthday dinner. At some point we will need to hit the grocery store. If I have some time I may start weathering some cars.

I hope everybody has a good day.

Happy Birthday Tom.

Well here in the north it is 8C and raining.
We are expecting light snow tomorrow evening.

Last edited by a moderator:
snork

Every woman's dream! Furniture that can move itself!

LOVES it. it even pops a wheelie. :D

but that is NOT every womans dream.

MY dream is of nubile young men in tight pants and no shirts, flexing muscles as they move furniture at my every whim. Pianos spring to mind.

NOT some older couch potato guy using a remote control. or even a not-so-remote control.

sorry, to all you couch potatoguys. I'm sure you were hot nubile young men in tight pants and no shirts at some time in your lives.

:D :D :D

Morning, everyone.

Happy Birthday, Tom. Every time I read about your life, I feel the need to lay down for a nap. :)

Mac, that's pretty cool - a couch that does wheelies. :cool: Like Jeffrey said, this is every wife's dream. Just pilot all the furniture to a new place every week or so. Sure would save me a lot of back stress.

Karl, yes, you are crazy, but in a good sort of way. ;) Good luck with the show. We want pictures!

Will, snow in April. That's why I left Ohio in 1966, never to return.

LTF, amazing how industrial large farms are. California has some massive dairy farms, with 5,000 or more head of cows. They have like 10 of those turntable things lined up and the cows amble up twice a day to get milked. They ship out about 30,000 gallons of milk a day from the one I visited. We want to see some pictures of your town. Old buildings are always the fodder for some kitbashing ideas.

James, sound like you have a very interesting Saturday planned. :p I guess that's $50 AUS for the foam. I don't know the conversion rate but it sounds like a lot compared to what we pay in the States.

Dan, having two cars is always a good thing when you're buying junkers. I can remember when I was young and had three 1957 Chevy's so I had enough parts to keep one running. My dad was never too happy about having them parked all over the back lawn though.

Rex, nice shots of the Angels you got. How were the storms at your place? It looked like the area from Tuscaloosa north got more excitement than us. The NWS is saying at least one tornado touched down in Tuscaloosa County.

It's cloudy but relatively mild considering a "cold" front went through yesterday. Out storms turned into a dud, with a lousy .04 inches of rain. I think I'm finally getting the pattern figured out. If enough convection gets started on the Gulf Coast, it cuts off the flow of warm and humid air we need to get enough instability for severe storms. That's what happened yesterday and out squall line collapsed in about half an hour. The trouble is that it's hard to predict what will happen on the Gulf almost until it starts happening. We had schools canceled, and rightly so, given how things looked at 11 am. By 4 pm, everything had died. That being said, we get another chance at severe storms Sunday. All the right conditions should be in place but I'll be watching the Gulf more carefully. If I don't see a lot of thunderstorms flaring up down there before the instability gets to us, that's when it will be time to get out the cat vacuum. :D

Hey, LTF, there are still a few of us older guys that don't look too bad without a shirt also. I bench press 165 pounds and can still get the cuffs on a suspect in about five seconds if I have to. My wife says the second best part of my body is my biceps. :) I must admit, though, that many older women look a lot more attractive than a lot of the older guys I know. :eek:

Hi All! I feel sorry for any midnight workers trying to sleep within 100 miles. Another day of excitement with all the practice runs for the show. So far, I have seen a P51, B25, C130, C17 that looked like a kite wanting to fall out of the sky (it was going so slow); A10 Warthog attacking the airport (didn't realize they were so agile. It looked like a crop duster in its moves); a Super Hornet creating sonic booms attacking the airport (man, that thing is like a bullet). There is now an arerobatic team playing in the blue sky.

One thing is for certain: I would hate to be at the receiving end of some of these planes in combat.

Jim: the tornado was in a wooded area a few miles north of here, just tree damage. We got about 3/4" of rain and some high gust, but that's about it. Looks like I will be going to the show with Bill B. tomorrow. His wife now says she wants to go, but I'm still going with them.

Jim- I have to agree that some old guys are ugly enough to make you wonder if they are human. I guess I'm getting closer each day to that category!
Trains have to play second fiddle this weekend. Youth baseball starts early Saturday and my grandson says I have to come watch his game. I'm glad they have a 7 run limit per inning and 2 hour time limit. As a 6 year old player, I have seen him out-run a hit to the third baseman and turn it into a homerun due to overthrown balls.
One little blond beauty on his team is the hardest hitting girl I have ever seen. She has a 15 year old sister on the softball team that has coached her very well.
I'm glad we had this conversation! I just remembered I "have to"finish cutting out a fiberboard house and glue it together this weekend. Tjhans for the reminder.
Please enjoy your weekend, with or without trains.

Good afternoon shop dwellers

Happy Birthday Tom!

The heavy rains that came thru my area earlier seem to have moved on, now there's just a bunch of broken cloud cover and a moderate breeze (perfect sailing weather if I could afford that pastime LOL!) My thigh muscles still hurt when I walk down a hill or a flight of stairs, because of all that hopping back-and-forth during Tuesday's photo shoot. This is taking longer to heal than I anticipated, I must be getting old:eek:

I'll be going to the same train show setup this evening that Karl is going to, to help the guys get their layout setup. This will be the first time I've been behind the scenes at one of these shows rather than simply attending, should be interesting.

Rex - nice Angel photos you got there!

Jim, you just reminded me of how great weightlifting used to make me feel [physically and psychologically] while I did it in college - until I my schedule became too hectic and I drifted away from it. I know what I'll do - make a new yaer's resolution to get back into it, starting in 2010! :D

Happy Friday everyone!

Tom, Happy B-Day!:) Mine is the 7th, My wifes is the 12th's and my Son is the 18th:eek: Three in one month:rolleyes: My wife's happens to fall on Easters!

Rex, The A-10 is a stick and rudder plane too!:eek: No special controls like the faster ones which require computers to fly! The history channel has a show on the A10!

Dude, that's a must have couch! I don't need to get up to get to the frig and snag a beer!:eek: Add a toilet and you can be a true couch potato! now make a motorized lazyboy and ya have something special;)

Jim, Your such a sexy Beast! ROFLMAO!:p:rolleyes: Do ya still have all your teeth and hair too!:D

Excuse me, new face in the house. May I take a seat?

All of the talk of the "Angels" has me telling you that the grandson's ROTC Squadron was in Pensacola this week. He adores, worships, and otherwise loves the Blue Angels. We have a complete model display, including "Fat Albert". His group was treated to a first class tour by one of the group. Jay even got some "seat" time. I'll bet he hasn't slept since.

The granddaughter spent the week, so it's all good. Definitely blessed with two fine grandkids, that's for sure.

Is the coffee still hot? Need a big mug real bad here. I don't even care if it's sat all day.Coffee, Nectar of the Gods. I'll need some sweetener too. Diabetes took my sugar consumption away but not my sweet tooth. This gettin' old crap isn't what it's cracked up to be. They forget to tell you about all of the rust. The mind stays young and the body hesitates.

Is spring ever going to come and stay? 46 Degrees is not warm. At least not warm enough to get the boats out on the water. Shouldn't complain there is still bank fishing.

I hope to be able to drop by from time to time,. I'd read EVERY page of this blog. Being nice, I must say some of you definitely have more to say than others. Grandma used to call that "being windy". Good term, I guess.

Don't worry about fresh coffee with me, I'll drink whatever ya got.

Later, Bob

Good Evening-we got the rain--AND the wind--up to 80-90kmh---real fun--and we also managed to throw in a few T'storms as well--now the temperatures are down to 2C.:mad::(:(:mad:

Welcome BOB!! come -- pull up a piece of the floor and dangle the feet over the edge---whew--wonder where THAT came from----:confused:;);):)

happy birthday TOM!!! even if it is a bit late--

We had an all day meeting that was chaired by moi---we had a 12pg agenda for pete's sake--:confused::(:eek::eek: At least we're through THAT--

Good evening folks.

Jim, the thought of your cat vacuum makes me laugh every time!

Tom, Happy Birthday! Take a break why don't ya?!:)

When I saw those war planes, I had to think of the people that see them in not such a friendly manner. It would scare the living day lights out of me!

I had a great day at work. Fridays are always fun around the store. For some reason, everyone is in a joking mood on Fridays. The funny thing is, it's not like we have Saturday off to be happy about.

We're looking at six inches to a foot of snow Saturday night. I was just commenting on how we didn't get any large snowfalls this year. Everything was less than six inches with bitter cold and wind. I guess I spoke too soon! We are also looking at twenty to thirty mile an hour sustained winds. Man, where is this spring that people speak off?:)

I hope you all have a great weekend. I'm going to my Mother's house for an early Easter tomorrow. That is, if we can get over the river and through the woods with the snow.:eek:

Edit: Welcome to the coffee shop Bob. Or should I say, the 'windy' cafe? I hope you enjoy the bad coffee!

I received my Gorre and Daphetid boxcar today and am about 90% through the assembly of it. It's an IMWX G&D issue #1. I just finished installing the couplers (Kadee #5) and still have some detail parts to add.

Evening Gang,

Flo, a couple slices of peperoni pizza and a tall, cool, frosty, thirst quenching Diet Coke please!

Were all set up at the show, even had a visit from some Road Slug, (a little too late for help, but he's excused). Tomorrow at 7 am I'll be back over there, running trains til 5. And yes, pictures will be taken!

Happy Birthday Tom!

Jim, I too can still bench press 165, and I can handcuff the wife in under 5 seconds! ;) Who says you have to fall apart as you age!

Bob, Welcome aboard, you can sit anywhere you like, but don't get too friendly with Flo, Chris gets a little crazy when you pay too much attention to his "dream woman".

Mikey, I remember t-ball well. :) All 3 of the boys did it. Closest thing to herding chickens I have ever seen! :D Enjoy !

Rex, The warbirds sound like a blast to watch, wish I was there! The weather there, not so much! But at least it's not snow! brrrrrrrrrrr!

Sparky Good luck with the engine, and I agree, a parts car can be a good thing to have!

Well, thats enough wind for me, (I'll probably have more wind after this pizza gets down!:p)

Y'all have a goodun!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back