Building the Andersley Western Railroad

Your layout is really inspiring to this beginner. I'm kind of thinking along similar lines to get started, then later I can add on to one or both ends with loops that would allow for continuous running.

Well put Alan. My layout is also built as a switching layout, although a bit larger than yours. With the use of hidden staging tracks, I do have the capability for continuous running and hardly ever use it. Once or twice a year I will take some brass locomotives that live in their boxes out and will let them run through the staging area to keep them lubricated. Other than that the drop down bridge for continuous running is down and I am busy switching. For me also, continuous running is not a necessity at all.

Progress on the grain elevator. Still needs top conveyor housings and other details before painting, but looking quite impressive on the layout!

grainelevator1.jpggrainelevator2.jpg

On most model layouts, continuous running IMO is so we can pretend that a train is going much further and is just passing through. In the very first MRRder magazine I ever saw (back in NZ in the 60's) there was an 8 x 4 layout where the builder made his only station have two names, so he could use it as both departure and arrival. The same mag also had John Allen's first G&D in it. Apart from the bridge over the yard (which I always include in any plans I've done), I was more impressed with the other layout (but can't remember it's name). Doh!

A short operating session produced the attached pictures. The RSC2 has arrived leaving the single track clear for the RS3 to depart.

gallery058.jpggallery059.jpggallery060.jpggallery061.jpg

Yes, it does feel good. Seems slow progress at times, but looking back at earlier pictures I realise how much has changed. A lot more to do yet though, especially the fertilizer/chemicals industry.

More locomotives and freight cars still to rebuild/repaint and all need detailing, like cut levers, air hoses, etc.

Alan
www.andersley.co.uk

Great looking layout Alan. It is amazing how much enjoyment you can get switching a layout like this, especially with locomotives that can crawl along at realistically slow speeds. Look forward to further updates.

Wow, your layout is looking really nice, Alan. I especially like all the texture you have on the road in that last picture.

I've never constructed nor operated a small switching layout like this, but someday I hope to. I daresay, however, that I would find more enjoyment in continuous running. Sometime about setting the train 'free' and not having to look after it for a few moments. I also like to have them running around in loops in the background while I work on projects.

Cheers

Back