Building the Andersley Western Railroad

Lewistown is quite a sizeable town and really deserves rail service. The Little Joes are great, but I like the triple boxcabs best. Look like real workhorses!

Watched another video taken through the windshield of a car on a drive through of the town, not a lot of trees in the surrounding area!

Another video taken in the Lewistown floods in 1953 has lots of good scenes showing the shops, etc on the streets. Good modeling material.

Alan
www.andersley.co.uk

For that part of Montana, Lewistown is a good size town and it is a bit suprising that it doesn't have rail service when smaller communities along the Montana Central do, but those communities also have businesses that require rail for shipping such as grain elevators. Lewistown is now more of a hub for smaller surrounding towns.

I think I preferred the little joes as they did ride a bit better than the box cabs, but I guarantee you that I left my nose print on numerous left front windows of box cabs. Most of them ran in pairs and not triple units. As the box cabs aged, some were retired and you would find that a motor unit that had its cab unit retired made into triples at the end of electrification.

First models finished in my AWRR paint scheme

awr01.jpgawr02.jpgawr03.jpgawr04.jpg

Looking real good. Nice work. Do you have an overall picture ??

Last edited by a moderator:
The road is being made of card, just final pieces to glue down, then painting to represent asphalt

]

Neet idea, wonder why I didn't think of it. How did you finish it off? Did you add any texture to the paint? lasm

Nice detail on the track, locomotives, and especially the caboose.

Last edited by a moderator:
The road was first painted matt black then weathered using chalks. The roadways in yards were also painted various colours with scenic materials mixed in for texture.

Lots more work to do on ground cover and tracks. Sidings will be buried in dirt to varying degrees, but main arrival and run round tracks kept in better condition!

Alan
www.andersley.co.uk

Alan, is the backdrop attached to the wall or the benchwork. Any details on the backdrop construction.
Thanks
Wayne

Wayne, the backdrop is purely sections of hardboard positioned behind the layout (sits on short pieces of wood attached to rear of boards) so is not physically attached. The hardboard was painted in a sky blue colour. I am not enough of an artist to attempt clouds, vegetation, etc.!

Alan
www.andersley.co.uk

Back