American Freedom Train.......

Second Car.........

Well the next car to be completed rolled out today.

It is car No.101 and was a display car. That is, the public rode through this car viewing the displays inside. A conveyor belt was installed along one side of the cars' interior and one would ride from one end to the other on the belt then cross between cars and get on the next one and this went on for 10 cars.
Because of this arrangement, the exterior windows were different on one side from the other. One the side with the conveyor belt, were shallow display panels that held large photos of historical significance while the other side had what were called ' shadowbox ' windows. The shadowbox windows contained various artifacts like early electric trains, hula hoops, and other historical trinkets.

Here then is Car No. 101 showing the 'panelside' windows.
AFTcar_101_panelside_1.png

And the deeper set 'shadowbox' side.
AFTcar_101_shadowbox_1.png

Looks OK with the first car. Only 23 more to go.
AFTcar_101_panelside_2.png

More to come........

Johnny

Like it alot! ;)
I must confess to being a dunce, as I don't remember ever hearing about the Freedom Train. Of course at that time my mind wasn't on trains. :eek:
Very good work, Johnny.

Looks Great!!!... Have to give you compliments on the rock face work in the background too!...That looks AWESOME!!!....Can't wait to see the next car!!

Like it alot! ;)
I must confess to being a dunce, as I don't remember ever hearing about the Freedom Train. Of course at that time my mind wasn't on trains. :eek:
Very good work, Johnny.

Now Rex, are you really going to have me believe you once had 'other' interests?:D Thanks for the comments!!

Johnny

Somebody took the easy route on Ebay last night, and bought a complete model of the train for $2,250.00 Considering all the cars you need, and the time and effort it obviously took, I think that's actually a very good price. (Out of my reach, but a good price...) I certainly don't think you could hire somebody to build one for you and pay less than what this sold for.

http://cgi.liveauctions.ebay.com/57...010QQitemZ200063700904QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

Last edited by a moderator:
That's quite a collection that guy sold.... this should be a lot of fun to watch as Johnny completes the pieces.

Somebody took the easy route on Ebay last night, and bought a complete model of the train for $2,250.00 Considering all the cars you need, and the time and effort it obviously took, I think that's actually a very good price. (Out of my reach, but a good price...) I certainly don't think you could hire somebody to build one for you and pay less than what this sold for.

http://cgi.liveauctions.ebay.com/57...010QQitemZ200063700904QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

I was watching that one too Bob. The only thing that I saw that was wrong was the display cars didn't have the proper items in them. These are the hardest things to get down and I know of only one source for them. Other than that, Yeh, a fair price as the guy who built it did a good job on the flats w/loads and the odd-ball generator, entrance/exit cars this train had. And with the BRASS 4449's well that eats up the change fast. I have been asked already what I would take for my train when fininshed. And although they say everything has a price........It would be above that ebay one for sure.

Johnny

That's quite a collection that guy sold.... this should be a lot of fun to watch as Johnny completes the pieces.

I'm doing the boring stuff now. All the display cars look basically the same. I'm about to start the other 'panel' window car. It is proving to be a challenge. The car contains a 1904 Olds(got it), an old horse drawn pumper used to extiguish a fire at the Nations Capitol in the early 1900's(scratch building), And the B & ) 'Arabian' a small EARLY steam loco that resembled the Tom Thumb. I cannot find a good starting point for this loco. I noticed in the one on ebay he used a John Bull front for it. I can't do that. The base would be easy but its workings above the platform isn't quite clear in any photos. ANY and ALL help would be greatly appreciated!!

Johnny

Nice work Johnny. That will be one heck of a model when it's all done. I'm glad the Confederation Train wasn't as long as the Freedom Train. Hope you have a big layout to run it on.

I look forward to seeing more of it.

Nice work Johnny. That will be one heck of a model when it's all done. I'm glad the Confederation Train wasn't as long as the Freedom Train. Hope you have a big layout to run it on.

I look forward to seeing more of it.

Thanks Fred. I don't but that never stopped me before!!:D

Johnny

I could swear Jordan Products had a 1800's steam powered fire engine, but I guess not. I have about 30 photos I can scan of one though, used them to make a Lego copy of it.

Hows this Johnny?
http://www.trains.com/ctr/objects/images/0-4-0_1.jpg

Uh, that would be a locomotive, specifically the Tom Thumb, not a fire engine...

Now what I'm really confused about is when I google "1880's steam fire engine", the first thing that shows up is photos of the one Josh made out of Legos. Obviously, he knows what one is, and what they look like. Did I miss something in the discussion, or go to the wrong link or what?

Last edited by a moderator:
Uh, that would be a locomotive, specifically the Tom Thumb, not a fire engine...

Now what I'm really confused about is when I google "1880's steam fire engine", the first thing that shows up is photos of the one Josh made out of Legos. Obviously, he knows what one is, and what they look like. Did I miss something in the discussion, or go to the wrong link or what?

It's probably me that's mashing things up. What I'm looking for Bob, is either the OOP Jordan Model of the horse drawn-bat-winged pumper. I've scoured every Highway miniatures(Jordan) link I can find and nothing for them shows.

The other thing I'm looking for is a good starting point for the early B & O RR steam engine named " Arabian ". I can find almost nothing on the net and have only one poor quality picture of it to work from. Josh posted the link of the Tom Thumb and in comparison it is somewhat similar in appearance.

Gosh I hope I didn't muddle it up any further. Sorry about that.:eek:

Johnny

Back