American Freedom Train.......

Absotivley Amazing Stuff!! Gorgeous even!
Being a right-coaster I can remember seeing the AFT pass through with the Reading T1 on the point. I was in 8th grade and had actually convinced my Mom to let me stay home from school to go see it. The train didn't stop but at least I saw it go by on its way to Baltimore.
You mentioned in an earlier post that you has a Lionel GS that you said you may want to detail but not repower, as they were not good runners. Just a little suggestion. The Bowser repower kit for the Bachmann GS also works on the Lionel chassis! They even have separate directions included in the Bowser kit. I redid my Bachmann, easily doubling it's pulling power!:)

I love that AZ Rock & Mineral ballast. I use that or Mountain Modelcraft. Not shown is their "buff" #406, which is like CNW's Pink Lady, but slightly off in color. I'm still up for grabs myself, which color I should be using on Cajon.

http://www.modeltrain.com

Absotivley Amazing Stuff!! Gorgeous even!
Being a right-coaster I can remember seeing the AFT pass through with the Reading T1 on the point. I was in 8th grade and had actually convinced my Mom to let me stay home from school to go see it. The train didn't stop but at least I saw it go by on its way to Baltimore.
You mentioned in an earlier post that you has a Lionel GS that you said you may want to detail but not repower, as they were not good runners. Just a little suggestion. The Bowser repower kit for the Bachmann GS also works on the Lionel chassis! They even have separate directions included in the Bowser kit. I redid my Bachmann, easily doubling it's pulling power!:)

Hello Karl,

Thank you for the kind words. What a fond memory. The Reading engine was quite a sight on the point of this train. Even if she did sport 3 different paint jobs. I'll bet you can still see it passing when you close your eyes.....

I did actually move from the Lionel to the latest (DCC) Bachmann version of the GS-4. A much better runner, but she won't pull the 26 car AFT around any curves or grades. Think the Bowser kit would add traction? My PCM T1 can pull it, but not the Bachmann.

Wow, I just finished looking through your personal webpage and I was very pleased. The shot of the train passing the barn and farm truck has got to be one of my favorites. It speaks volumes of railroading what a great shot. And the site is well done too.

Johnny

Last edited by a moderator:
I love that AZ Rock & Mineral ballast. I use that or Mountain Modelcraft. Not shown is their "buff" #406, which is like CNW's Pink Lady, but slightly off in color. I'm still up for grabs myself, which color I should be using on Cajon.

http://www.modeltrain.com

You're right on Josh. AZ ballast (buff) is exactly what I would use for Cajon. There is Hobby Shop close by (Winona, MN.) that carries a wide selection of their products. As for the sheen, I can take care of that. But they sure make my life a lot easier by not having to truck over to Rock Springs and sift it myself.....:)

BTW, Very nice start to the Ringling car you posted. Good prototype pic to work from. You know, you can post it in the circus train thread so we can all enjoy it and discuss the progress;).

Thanks Josh,

Johnny

Hello Karl,

Thank you for the kind words. What a fond memory. The Reading engine was quite a sight on the point of this train. Even if she did sport 3 different paint jobs. I'll bet you can still see it passing when you close your eyes.....

I did actually move from the Lionel to the latest (DCC) Bachmann version of the GS-4. A much better runner, but she won't pull the 26 car AFT around any curves or grades. Think the Bowser kit would add traction? My PCM T1 can pull it, but not the Bachmann.

Wow, I just finished looking through your personal webpage and I was very pleased. The shot of the train passing the barn and farm truck has got to be one of my favorites. It speaks volumes of railroading what a great shot. And the site is well done too.

Johnny

Johnny
Thank YOU for the kind words also! I'd rather work on trains than that website, trains are easier!;) As far as the Bachmann goes, the engine itself weighs 1 3/4 pounds after the Bowser kit installation. That kit includes a lot of lead parts! Depending on how free rolling your cars are, It probably could handle it. Mine pulls pretty well. Someday I'd like to repaint the GS into AFT colors and maybe even build a few cars, but I have 1 other train to finish 1st.
Back in 93 & 95, I was a mechanical conductor on the Entertrainment Line a local dinner/murder mystery/party train. After the dinner train failed,(the freight side Maryland Midland still runs) I made a beeline to the yard and took measurments and photos and built about half the cars. Soon I'll be getting back to that project and finishing the rest. You can see the power car behind the low nosed geep on my webpage. Its a converted Army kitchen car built for the Korean conflict but never shipped. I've got about 9 cars done at this point, but all need a little rehab/touchup at this point from traveling to quite a few shows since 2000. It always amazes me though, how many folks remember riding the thing in this area! Next project is the dome car! I'll post some pics when I get the rest of the cars out of storage!

You're right on Josh. AZ ballast (buff) is exactly what I would use for Cajon. There is Hobby Shop close by (Winona, MN.) that carries a wide selection of their products. As for the sheen, I can take care of that. But they sure make my life a lot easier by not having to truck over to Rock Springs and sift it myself.....:)

BTW, Very nice start to the Ringling car you posted. Good prototype pic to work from. You know, you can post it in the circus train thread so we can all enjoy it and discuss the progress;).

Thanks Josh,

Johnny
I have about 20# of the CNW Pink Lady, so I might mix it with the buff...

Johnny..........
Back in 93 & 95, I was a mechanical conductor on the Entertrainment Line a local dinner/murder mystery/party train. After the dinner train failed,(the freight side Maryland Midland still runs) I made a beeline to the yard and took measurments and photos and built about half the cars. Soon I'll be getting back to that project and finishing the rest. You can see the power car behind the low nosed geep on my webpage. Its a converted Army kitchen car built for the Korean conflict but never shipped. I've got about 9 cars done at this point, but all need a little rehab/touchup at this point from traveling to quite a few shows since 2000. It always amazes me though, how many folks remember riding the thing in this area! Next project is the dome car! I'll post some pics when I get the rest of the cars out of storage!

Karl,
When I was browsing your site I did notice that car and the "Entertrainment" excursion train you spoke of, it did spark an interest in that train. So we don't get too far off topic here. Mayby we could start a show or special train thread to talk about it. I'd like to learn more about it. How cool is it that you worked the prototype and modeled it too? :cool::cool::cool::cool: Waaaay COOL!

Johnny

I have about 20# of the CNW Pink Lady, so I might mix it with the buff...

Ahhhhh, the good ole' Northwestern, My heart belongs to her........

I've got a bucket of fines from Rock Springs too but no time to sift it down to where I would need it.

Johnny

Karl,
When I was browsing your site I did notice that car and the "Entertrainment" excursion train you spoke of, it did spark an interest in that train. So we don't get too far off topic here. Mayby we could start a show or special train thread to talk about it. I'd like to learn more about it. How cool is it that you worked the prototype and modeled it too? :cool::cool::cool::cool: Waaaay COOL!

Johnny

I just might do that soon! Since everything (save one car, PRR#1155) has to be either kitbashed or scratched, I was thinking of starting at the head end and working my way back. Maybe one car every few weeks. Stay tuned!

3 new update pics

Hello AFT fans,

With 10 days to go it's full steam ahead for the debut of the HO scale AFT. The diorama has progressed nicely and the power cars, the last two cars to complete the train, are in the paint shop.

I really had no plan to work from for the diorama. I just kind of make it up as I go. Here are some shots of how thing are progressing:

Just arriving, crossing Main Street, the 4449 rolls onto the siding where it will leave the 12 car display portion of the train. The everpresent tool car, PNWC 76, is tucked in nicely behind the GS-4. This is not common as most host railroads require the flats to be directly behind the engine. But this, after all, is the MadCow and they're pretty easy going....This area is now populated with a growing crowd of folks welcoming the train.

AFTDIO_40.png

Another photographer caught the train at almost the same moment from the other side of the tracks.

AFTDIO_42.png

And here is an aerial shot of the four dioramas together for the first time. In the upper left corner of the unfinished one, I will install a rock bluff. It's been at least 2 years since I've carved any rockwork out of the foam, so stay tuned!

AFTDIO_47.png

Well then, I'll post new shots in a couple of days including the power cars' journey through the painting process. And, of course, the rockwork:eek:.

Have a fun week........

Johnny

Oooowee! Johnny, I believe your going to get a merit badge for this project. Fine detail with only the smoke and steam missing. All are great shots, but he aerial is ALIVE.

Back