1/87th Vehicles

I've seen them at several of the Wal Marts around me, but haven't bought any because they are all too new for the transition era I'm modeling. The only ones that are even close are the 1955 Chevy and the VW Bus and Bug. Since I'm modeling 1952 (give or take a year or two), even those models would likely be too new. I know the VWs didn't change all that much since they were introduced, but these look to be somewhat newer models, and I was planning to put mostly American cars on the roads in my town. If I were going to model something a little more recent, I'd probably have picked up a bunch of these by now, since the details are fantastic for the price.

Was in my WM today & they are redoing all the shelves(new modular) & the single 1/87th cars are going for $1.00 now instead of $1.64 ea. Also, the new cars are in a 6 pack asst. Same vehicles, but, diff. colors & the set is cheaper.
Also, if you want to build a Nascar race track, they now have 1/87th scale
racecars. I found 12 diff. cars in a box of 24 vehicles. Yes, Jr's car is in there, (#8).
Also, found some dual wheeled JD farm tractors.
At my local Dollar Tree this week I found 6 diff. 1/87th semi's at a buck a pc.
At WM they have a new line of semi's w/tandem trailers.
That's all the news I have for 1/87th vehicles.
More later.

Larry

Oh boy, I'll have to raid the local Wal*marts tomorrow, whn I'm going to get my TV. They're working on the new shelving here too. Well at least the Clairmont Mesa one was. As for the cars with the campers & semi's & Nascar stuff, not yet. I hope they have some this time around. I've found the CAT stuff in about every Wal*Mart now.

Thos Tractors mentioned, I skipped, but the New Norscot Mini's, I grabbed the D5 thy had, cause it was about perfect, the Excavator looked to be N scale (You N scaler's go LOOK!).

http://www.modelrailroadtips.com/index.php?op=Articles;article=7

I'll update it once I get more info, and I'll be adding alot more pictures, mostly thumbnails to the larger ones though.

The under size earthmovers can be used on a back scene, or hillside, it'll give the illusion of depth, especially if you scale down other features as well, just a thought

If anyone want to add pictures, Id like to have a complete collection in pictures:
http://www.modelrailroadtips.com/index.php?op=Articles;article=7

As you can see I allready have quite a few pictures, if you have something thats not on the list, PM me, or email me with the info, and an image (in box/packaging) 800x600, you can watermark it, or I can for you. I'd liek to get a picture submitted of everything you can find, including the different colors & vehicles in each line. I'm going to do another update after dinner, with the vehicles you see pictured, I'll probly just watermark it on the image.

Thanks!

Larry said:
Was in my WM today & they are redoing all the shelves(new modular) & the single 1/87th cars are going for $1.00 now instead of $1.64 ea. Also, the new cars are in a 6 pack asst. Same vehicles, but, diff. colors & the set is cheaper.
Also, if you want to build a Nascar race track, they now have 1/87th scale
racecars. I found 12 diff. cars in a box of 24 vehicles. Yes, Jr's car is in there, (#8).
Also, found some dual wheeled JD farm tractors.
At my local Dollar Tree this week I found 6 diff. 1/87th semi's at a buck a pc.
At WM they have a new line of semi's w/tandem trailers.
That's all the news I have for 1/87th vehicles.
More later.

Larry
i have also seen a line of semis with out trailers and a line of cat equpment in 1/87 and vans at wal-mart

The Semi tractors are not 1/87th. The vans I bought today were 3 different colors of a 1974 Ford & 1975 Dodge. The decals & colors are diff. The Toy dept. mgr. says there's a whole bunch of new toys this season. hasn't been anything new for about 3 years. I look everyday in my WM. I work there & that gives me an advantage for watching what comes in the back door.
I have 3 days off every week & sometimes I miss something.

larry

Larry said:
The Semi tractors are not 1/87th.[...]
larry
Larry not to be mean or anything, but its time to retract that comment:
View attachment 3834
They ring up as "1 87 TRUCK" too, not that it means that much, but even if they aren't 1:87th exact, they're VERY close. Look at the pic, Malibu International truck with a Bowser 53' Schneider trailer, even the kingpin hole matches.

Havn't seen the vans or Tandem tractor trailer sets.

Last edited by a moderator:
jbaakko said:
Larry not to be mean or anything, but its time to retract that comment:
View attachment 3834
They ring up as "1 87 TRUCK" too, not that it means that much, but even if they aren't 1:87th exact, they're VERY close. Look at the pic, Malibu International truck with a Bowser 53' Schneider trailer, even the kingpin hole matches.

Havn't seen the vans or Tandem tractor trailer sets.
The only reason I said they weren't 1/87th, was, I took one out of the box & sat it next to the trucks that are marked as H.O.& it looked a lot bigger. I have some that are smaller than 1/87th & the pkgs. were marked as such.
So, I was wrong. I'll have to go & buy some of'em now. See, I thought I was getting by w/out buying some. LOL

Larry

Sounds good Larry. They look like they MIGHT be about 1:85th, maybe, thats a common "mistaken" size that the Manufacturers make... Anyways they're nice, I figured I couldn't go wrong when the Malibu International products were all HO up til here so... And for $4...

I just returned from my local WallyWorld and scored with two cars towing trailers. One was a Ford Tunderbird and the other was a Karmann Ghia . I don't remember a Ghia towing any trailers back in their day but who knows. They sold for $2.47 . The cars which were singles are now sold in 6 packs at around $8.00 but they are just repeats of what the singles were.

OldGettysk said:
I just returned from my local WallyWorld and scored with two cars towing trailers. One was a Ford Tunderbird and the other was a Karmann Ghia . I don't remember a Ghia towing any trailers back in their day but who knows. They sold for $2.47 . The cars which were singles are now sold in 6 packs at around $8.00 but they are just repeats of what the singles were.
I only saw 5 packs, there WERE a few cars I hadn't got before @ $7.97.

Anyways, Larry, I ment to ask, what are these Vans you talk about? I could only find 1:72 scale ones (or was that 1:64).

Your right they might of been 5 packs but they were the singles which were repackaged. Colors may very but they were all of the old ones. OLDGETTYSK

OldGettysk said:
Your right they might of been 5 packs but they were the singles which were repackaged. Colors may very but they were all of the old ones. OLDGETTYSK
I've never picked these out of the singles, unless they never got here:
00038.jpg

I was at a new Super Center today about 30 miles from my house & they didn't have any of the ones that I bought at my store.
The vans are the older ones. 1974 & 75 Fords & Dodge. Like the Econoline vans. One to a pack. Same type of box as the cars.
The cars that I told you were selling for $1.00 instead of $1.64, went back to the original price today. Shucks, didn't act fast enough. I really didn't need anymore, but, I thought they might lower the price in a cpl. weeks if they didn't sell. I offered 50 cents ea. if I bought all of them. There was about 25 left. Oh well, should have kept my mouth shut. Always trying to get something cheaper. LOL

Larry

Here's a lady looking at one of the campers behind a 1955 Chevy in my Classic car lot.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think it was a tempory thing, I think just some of the Wal*martys have the sale, only one of my "local 3" had the $1 ones, the rest were full price.

Back