Search results

1. R

What's the story on track being unavailable?

So, I'm just coming back into active modeling and it seems like there's no track! I was going to work on my N-scale stuff but there's no atlas code 55. So I thought I'd work on an HO scale code 83 switcher to play with - no flex track. What's up?
  2. R

Small layout - engine servicing and car repair

So, I'm getting back into the hobby after an absence during which we've rebuilt half our house and had a fire in our storage unit. I've given up my layout room for the time being because we've needed that space in our rental property. I'm currently without any layout at all, other than a...
  3. R

Layout room coming along

Started this morning with my layout room looking like this: By the end of the day, we had this: I'm super excited!
  4. R

74' Thrall centerbeam - minimum radius

Among a set of rolling stock I just received are several very nice 74' centerbeams. They're perfect for the Maine based layout I'm scheming up but they're longer than anything else I'm planning to run. Does anyone have experience with these cars and have a sense of what a safe minimum...
  5. R

Smaller Layout Plan

Thank you to everyone who weighed in on my recent post about my Maine Central layout. I've decided that I'm biting off more than I can chew with that project and that it needs to percolate further. In the meantime, I'd like to build a smaller layout in my home. This layout should serve a...
  6. R

Maine Central - Birch Island Division (III)

The railroad has completed its negotiations for its right-of-way, and is ready to layout its tracks. I've got a good idea of what I want to accomplish but I could use your insight into how to actually bring it all together. Your help would be appreciated. The layout will be built in a...
  7. R

Round table to reach staging tracks? Multi track, maybe?

I am working on the design for a staging module for the modular (or at least sectional) layout I'm designing more generally. I want to use a basically domino approach for a host of reasons. I'd like a staging yard that fits on one of the dominos, which means doing everything possible to...
  8. R

Peco Small Radius Turnouts

I'm about to order some peco turnouts to experiment with. up to now I've been using Atlas Code 55 but I like the self-latching feature on the pecos. My question is what will track through the peco small radius happily. Will I get away with putting 6 axle diesels through them on the way to the...
  9. R

Maine Central - Birch Island Division

I am contemplating options for staging and would appreciate your input. I am modeling the Maine Central as though a group of investors had purchased its various lines back from the current owners. Eventually, most of the layout will focus on a fictional Birch Island Division ("BID"), which...
  10. R

Reality check my layout concept?

Reality check me? Attached below is a drawing of the room I have available for trains at home. The room is essentially 7 feet on a side, with a chimney on the west wall. Please ignore the benchwork drawn on the plan - that was an old and early idea. Today there is a built in desk running the...
  11. R

Salvage Yard Photos?

Sometime in the last year or so - how's that for specific :D - someone posted really cool photos of a railroad scrap yard with tons of engines, etc. I'm thinking about modeling something like that, except it would refurbish both loco's and rolling stock. I've looked but not found - could...
  12. R

Magnets - what to use, where to buy?

I'm working on my little n-scale switching layout and need to acquire some uncoupling magnets. I'm using atlas code 55 track. Up to this point I've been using a pick to uncouple, but I'd really like to be able to use magnets in at least some places to be hands off. Questions: Are the...
  13. R

Good days in the lives of model railroaders

Its a good day when your step-son and your wife are on the floor puzzling out the timesaver you built with the Brio trains. :D
  14. R

Desperately need Lehigh Valley Caboose as a gift - N scale

Guys, I have a good friend who's helping me with my layout. I've been a real tool when its come to my frustrations, and he's been very patient. He's started acquiring Lehigh Valley equipment but was saying the other day that he can't find an appropriate caboose. I'd appreciate any help you...
  15. R

N gauge ground throw question

So I began laying track today with the help of a patient friend. We have a question about my ground throws. I'm using Atlas code 55 turnouts and Caboose Industries sprung ground throws. The fitting that goes into the ground throw to attach to the turnout has two pins, one of which should go...
  16. R

Paired industries - ideas?

I am going to be building two modules this fall for switching operations. They'll each be 80" by 18" and build in n gauge. The idea is that either one offers purposeful operation, and that there will be a bridge section that will allow a transfer to run from one to the other. I'd...
  17. R

Ethanol Plant?

Good morning. I am getting ready to build my switching layout and am looking for ideas for an ethanol plant. I can't seem to find a list of what a plant would take in and what would be sent out. My best guess is: In: Plant matter supply - in my world that's potatos, apples and waste from...
  18. R

N-scale: picking rolling stock to work with code 55?

I will finally be getting a switching layout together and need some help choosing rolling stock. The layout will be done with Atlas code 55. It will be set in the current period on a small branchline here in Maine. I will have the track laid in the next few weeks and would like to be able...
  19. R

Operating Sessions in New England?

Does anyone know of individuals or groups running operating sessions in New England, or how to get involved? I find that I'm never going to get the time to build a layout at this stage of life - young family; young business - but I'd really like to participate in running a railroad from time...
  20. R

New Layout - help me balance traffic?

Ok, so I have totally revised my short term model railroad goals. We will have a major house renovation going on this spring and summer and so its not really a good time to start a permanent layout. Instead, I'm going to build two switching modules, to be conected by a bridge or link or...

Back