Search results

1. Sir Robbins

ProtoRail 2022 Cocoa Beach, Florida

Speaking of prototype railroads, is anyone on here going to ProtoRail today, tomorrow or Saturday? I'll be there this afternoon and tomorrow. Lots of great workshops including one with Lance Mindheim this year. Showroom floor will have most all vendors and reps there like Shane from...
  2. Sir Robbins

Electrical issue with turnout

I am having an electrical issue with a certain turnout. Before anyone says it, I have swapped out the turnout 3 times and still the issue persists so I know it's not the culprit. I have feeder wire at the base of the turnout but none on either side. I created this illustration to help give...
  3. Sir Robbins

East Penn Railroad Switching Layout

I had started another thread over a year ago when covid hit on plans to build a shelf layout. I moved back in April and now have A LOT more room for developing a layout. It his heavily based on several locations in the East Penn Railroad's routes. The layout for the time will be an L shape with...
  4. Sir Robbins

Athearn Genesis rolling stock more expensive than everyone else now?

I am curious. I have noticed the new airslide hoppers from Athearn in the Genesis line are hitting $50/car at several retailers. The lowest I found was $44 which puts it higher than ScaleTrains, Tangent and Exactrail.... Has anyone noticed some phenomenal increase in detail and construction to...
  5. Sir Robbins

Lost in the Woods Switching Layout

This is an L shape HO scale switching layout built in modules of 48" x 11.25". A total of 4 modules for this build per the Microsoft Paint Drawing I composed below. This is a rough and will be modified from time to time as things progress or if I change something. The location is "Somewhere...
  6. Sir Robbins

Snow recommendations?

Looking to add a fair amount of snow on my modular build. Some parts will be patches to reflect snow melted and other will have a full coverage.. Any experience with Woodland Scenic Snow? That's what I'm looking to use.. I don't want to go the paste route. I had odd results a few years back...
  7. Sir Robbins

New Intermountain Auto Racks are in!

I ordered 2 auto racks from Intermountain and they arrived the other day while I was out of town. Here are a few pictures of one of them and a bit of info. The doors on both sides slide open. This is cool but be warned, they can come off very easily and are a bit of a pain to get back on...
  8. Sir Robbins

Another round of Gunderson Hoppers are in!

ScaleTrains shipped to me a few days ago my preorder for a few more Gunderson Hoppers in the SOXX patch of BNSF cars. Arrived today and they look great!
  9. Sir Robbins

Weathering Atlas Code 83 track

I am using code 83 track on my dioramas and this is my progress thus far using the following materials... Testors Model Master Light Grey (acrylic) Grumbacher Burnt Umber Artists Oils Mineral Spirits I start by painting the whole track light grey (looks more white) I mix the Burnt Umber with...
  10. Sir Robbins

Orlando N-Trak N scale Modular Layout

Our N scale club here in sunny Orlando has been constructing a modular layout for the past several years and was designed to travel to train shows and so on. I shot some photos of our Folkston to Jacksonville sections on a bright, sunny day.... Here are some photos I took last summer as well...
  11. Sir Robbins

Been a few years but here goes a new layout (sort of)

I have moved at least once every 2 years for the past decade which has made model railroading a nightmare. I have been a member of Orlando's N-Trak club for a few years now since moving back to Orlando from Atlanta in 2015 but I still love HO. I have decided to build Railroad Dioramas using...
  12. Sir Robbins

So I stepped back into HO with a new table

Still in the laying foam and forming the hillsides at the moment. Updates to come as things progress. I was doing N scale and bought another table and went back to HO scale. Can ya blame me?
  13. Sir Robbins

quick question about unitrack and digitrax zephyr

I normally am fine with wiring when I used code 55 on n scale layout but have decided to give unitrack a go in HO for a 4x8 and am curious if all I need to do is cut the plastic clip off of the feeder wires from Kato's unitrack to hook up to the zephyr xtra DC51 system or if there is an adapter...
  14. Sir Robbins

Anyone had a go with DCS from MTH?

So, I've acquired 2 MTH SD70ACe's and am building a 4x8' HO scale layout and MTH has their own system that is pretty identical to DCC but seems to be set up for their locos. They have their own controllers and power packs for this DCS thing and was wondering if anyone has tried it. I may give it...
  15. Sir Robbins

Railfan nearly run over by ES44 shooting vid of vintage loco (video)

http://youtu.be/mx1OfACYl4U completely insane how he just continues to film with the loco blasting his horn and even while being picked up by the other guy
  16. Sir Robbins

4x8 n scale layout with a question

This is NOT my layout. I have a question as to whether anyone can give me the song name in the background. I can't even make out the lyrics. This is btw, an incredible 4x8 n scale layout..... Thanks to anyone who can help http://youtu.be/rpO-9mZkgQY
  17. Sir Robbins

My little Fox Valley ES44DC Review

Time for my review of Fox Valley's new ES44DCs that come standard with Hi Ad trucks. I was quite content with past FVM locos with the exception of the dim ditch lights, being noisy in DC mode and being a bit off tone with color schemes (they don't blend with Kato at all). I bought two ES44DCs...
  18. Sir Robbins

Here We Go! 4x6 N scale layout

This is my official build thread for my 4x6' N scale layout which is sadly in my bedroom :( . Here is the progress so far :) 11/21/2012 11/25/2012 11/25/2012
  19. Sir Robbins

Opinions on Fox Valley models?

I am in the market for some N scale BNSF locomotives and usually go with Kato. I looked at Fox Valley and their detail seems to be a bit better than Kato and the price difference is only $10 so I am pursuaded to go with them but have no experience with them. Are there any problems with...
  20. Sir Robbins

From HO to N and loving it

I did HO scale for a couple of years as a kid with my dad before the rents divorced and it went cold for 10 years without model railroading. Something in me wanted to get back into it and on my 22nd bday (last year) I went for it. I chose N scale due to space and I am building on a 4' by 6'...

Back