East Penn Railroad Switching Layout

Sir Robbins

I had started another thread over a year ago when covid hit on plans to build a shelf layout. I moved back in April and now have A LOT more room for developing a layout. It his heavily based on several locations in the East Penn Railroad's routes. The layout for the time will be an L shape with the open option of going to a U shape later on.
Here is the diagram thus far using MS Paint 😅
East Penn Drawing 1.jpg

Locations being used for layout in Pennsylvania
Kennett Square
Chadds Ford
Oxford

I will rotate power for fun but keep it regional (CSX, old Conrail) and so on.

The track layout shown above is prototypical to the real locations. I will change certain things like the color of the buildings and so on. I also plan to use trees in the layout that really are not local to the area.

Attachments

• East Penn Drawing 1.jpg
    East Penn Drawing 1.jpg
    140.2 KB · Views: 176
The undecided portion could be a continuation of the Octorora Branch of the PRR. Throw in Herrs, Rising Sun and then Rowlandsville!

I live pretty close to the old Rowlandsville village.

I'll look into those areas today and see if it's something I can work into what space I have left.... The Octoraro branch is already on my plan. The East Penn headquarters is on it but I am failing to find any good switching areas along it that would fit onto my layout. :(

Currently, I'm building Pike kits and all of the cutting out of windows and doors wears me out 😅
204653565_10225963284008424_7512201046902557463_n.jpg

Last edited:
I think this should not be allowed at all. I am not a sensitive folk but this forum is about trains not what you showed.

and what I showed is readily available through most model train dealers and hobby stores. I happened to be gifted that item and it had me scratching my head who made it. I found it was Noch and they make quite a few variations of them. I wasn't referring to you. I was unaware children actually used this site that would find it offensive. Not my style to do that. We do have those figures on our traveling layout that the general public sees at train shows in the southeast though...

This is looking very good. Love the nicely grungy weathering of your locos! I am using a very similar kind of construction except that my layout is free standing instead of being on wall-mounted shelves.

I had thought about free standing until I decided this would be a relatively permanent layout. I'm dealing with electrical issues with a turnout before proceeding further with the yard at the moment.

I am going with trees that are not exactly known to the Penn area but I love them so I'll be sidetracking "no pun intended" some of the detail on the layout and flexing on some structures a bit. The track has not been weathered yet so nothing in permanent place right now but this is the definitive layout track plan for this side of the L.

255527401_10226665799770879_5319180466998923147_n.jpg

I really like the trees - the bark looks very realistic. But I agree with you that deciduous trees are more common than pine in Pennsylvania. I really have to make a move on building some trees for my layout too. Are you using foam roadbed?

I really like the trees - the bark looks very realistic. But I agree with you that deciduous trees are more common than pine in Pennsylvania. I really have to make a move on building some trees for my layout too. Are you using foam roadbed?
Yup. Foam roadbed worked nicely for me the last 2 layouts I built instead of corkbed

Back