Weathering Atlas Code 83 track

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.

Sir Robbins

I am using code 83 track on my dioramas and this is my progress thus far using the following materials...
Testors Model Master Light Grey (acrylic)
Grumbacher Burnt Umber Artists Oils
Mineral Spirits

I start by painting the whole track light grey (looks more white)
virginia track white.jpg

I mix the Burnt Umber with mineral spirits and apply more as a wash than a hard paint on over the light grey. The result of this is seen on the left... On the right is factory code 83

penn track 2.jpg

The light grey brings out the details of the ties so when you apply the burnt umber wash, they stand out great!

I learned this technique from Lance Mindheim's page and decided to try for myself and the result is great!

MHinLA

Another nice detail, since we are concerned about realism, is to remove the very last tie and its connective tissue to the 2nd tie in..This gets rid of that toyish boxy look where the joiners are (and is a dead giveaway of being sectional track)..Then, of course, slip/glue some single ties back under, later..

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

ModelRailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.