Search results

1. cuttinglever

Decent N car brands?

Thanks guys... I'm still trying to decide what to do (if anything). I keep talking myself out of doing anything. And next week it's a trip to the university book store for yet another semester...that drains the hobby resources fast! Tom.
  2. cuttinglever

Decent N car brands?

Thanks for all the information. Hopefully I can get started on something this upcoming week. Tom.
  3. cuttinglever

Decent N car brands?

Hi everyone, so I pretty much decided to go the N route with my new layout. But being as I have no experience with N, (and very little with other scales!) I was wondering what are the decent maufactureers of freight cars? I'm looking for more modern mixed freight-kind of cars. (hoppers...
  4. cuttinglever

The Coffee Shop is now open. Come on in and say hello.

Afternoon, all... I just got back from a train display at a local library with my 2 yr old niece. They had a large O-scale set-up with lots of variety (PRR E33s and BNSF doublestacks on the same train) and plenty of buttons for the young and young at heart to push. But on a side table was...
  5. cuttinglever

Evening all. Poor parrot... Driving was a blast this morning. Apparently my fair town does not believe in the properties of salt, so the town was very similar to an ice rink. Once I got out of town it was fine. On the positive side, it looks like it's almost time to start planning the new...
  6. cuttinglever

Hey all... Got maybe an inch of the white stuff today...now getting some freezing rain. Lovely considering I have a final tomorrow at 8am. And I don't think the University has any idea what they will do if they have to postpone them. (we usually don't get all this wintry stuff this early)...
  7. cuttinglever

Small layout - HO or N?

Wasn't thinking about that... that's a decent sized layout then. I may even be able to push that six feet out further so...6 X 16, or dare I say 6 X 20? :D Time will tell. Thanks for the input guys. I'll keep everyone updated. Tom.
  8. cuttinglever

Why is the hobby in trouble?

First I'm 21, and about to get 'serious' in the hobby (maybe). But I've been a railfan/foamer/enthusiast/photographer for a while, so this just adds another dimension to that hobby. I personaly see several trends regarding attracting younger people into the hobby: 1st - cost. A lot of us...
  9. cuttinglever

Things in railroading I miss...

Well...being more of a greenhorn as age goes... The one thing I do miss is seeing the Conrail trains parked in our small yard here, with just the red marker lights glowing. Or being able to walk through certain railroad properties without a visit by the friendly boys in blue. (I really miss...
  10. cuttinglever

Small layout - HO or N?

Hey folks: I have this shelf, and potential top-of-bureau space in my room. All told it is about six feet long, and 2-3 feet wide. (The shelf is 3 foot wide, the top of bureau 2 foot - although I may hang a shelf to elongate that 2) This space has been screaming for a model RR for...
  11. cuttinglever

Strasburg, Pa. Excursions

I live 45 mins away, so I've been there more times than I care to count. If you've never been there, go. The Strasburg's equipment is immaculate: absolutely beautiful. Ride is not too bad..5 miles through cornfields. Overall it's a must go. Literally across the street is the Railroad...
  12. cuttinglever

Way off Topic: What the heck is a Blog?

Never fret...I'm over there as well. (I'm the post your weekend activities guy) I posted a photo or 2 in that gallery. I like to use that for those real nice shots...not a bunch of 3/4 dash-9 wedgies. Tom.
  13. cuttinglever

Perhaps....but that blog is my own little personal space. Besides, these are pictures of big choo-choos. I don't have little choo-choos set up. (yet!)
  14. cuttinglever

I use a blog to post photos to show to a few people. The main difference between a blog and a website are that a blog is free, and it's easy and quick to add info and photos. Sure it doesn't have many features, but it suits my purpose very well. For an example, here's mine...
  15. cuttinglever

I could really go for a pizza this weekend...
  16. cuttinglever

Yeah...western PA gets all the fun. Nothing but cold rain all day. On the other hand, I saw an empty coal train and the back end end of an autorack train on my way home today. First time in many days I've seen train action in town. So, it could be worse. Tom
  17. cuttinglever

A Warm Welcome to Our Newest Members for Oct. 19 - 23

Thank you for the welcome. I don't have a model RR up and running currently, but I ahve dabbled in it before. I may be building a rather small one in the foreseeable future. But we'll cross that bridge when we come to it. GP80 (Tom)

Back