The Coffee Shop is now open. Come on in and say hello.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good Morning Everyone:) ,

Flo, could you please buy a round for everyone and throw in something to dunk in it too? Thanks. Me? I'll take a can of sterno, some ground chuck and a can of pork and beans, gotta head back to camp and tell some more stories. Funny, they all somehow seem to involve wrecks:eek: !! Guess that happens more than most people know about.

Woke up to 8 inches of beautiful snow this morning, The guy across the street plowed my driveway for me:cool: . What a guy. I used to love fresh snow on the trains. Hitting a fresh plowed crossing at 50 mph would cause a blackout in the engine:eek: .

Anyway haven't stopped in for a while. Sounds like Rex is getting everyone something for Christmas;) :rolleyes: .

I'm thinkin' the next story is about Bill Gardner's passenger train 'incident'.

Johnny

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi gang! How are all the snow birds out there? Brrrrr! All we got was a cold rain. Maybe next week we will have a chance at the white stuff...please no ice.

Today, I managed to harvest and replant 50 mores trees from my tree farm. 150 planted and only about 100 more to go on Sawmill Ridge. Wow! They sure grew fast this time. At first I couldn't figure it out, but then it came to me...the fertilizer. Yup! After our ARG meet last Saturday there were tons of it in the Depot. Man did the trees love it. :D :D

Hope all of you are warm and comfy.

Hey all...

Got maybe an inch of the white stuff today...now getting some freezing rain. Lovely considering I have a final tomorrow at 8am. And I don't think the University has any idea what they will do if they have to postpone them. (we usually don't get all this wintry stuff this early)

Going to be a loverly day tomorrow!

Hey guys hows it going, just a cold coke for me girls.

Well here's how you shift the spare garage!!
P1010629.JPG

My bro-inlaws digger, we just picked it up and rolled into the new spot, behind the big garage next to the white shade house ( for those of you playing at home)

And here's our new resident on the front lawn
P1010637.JPG

Where's Elmer Fudd when you need him.

Brigette has named him Buggs!! Duh what else suits!!

Ken.

Well, where do I start?

Good Morning all

It's another busy day here, though the Christmas shopping is complete, except for small nik naks.

Though there isn't a cloud in the sky right now the satelite imagery shows a very large mass coming up the eastern seaboard. They're calling for 1/4 freezing rain/rain over night. Looks like the Great Lakes is in for it. I still may fill up my spare BBQ tank just in case.

Ken: I have to say that's a novel way of moving stuff. Wish I had one of those as I have a Neighbour I wouldn't mind moving several feet from the property line.

I'm laying the upper loop right now and am coming to the realization (after loosing several cars into the pit) there will have to be a tonnage restriction or helper service provided fro that section. My 5% grade maybe closer to 7% as the Challenger is spinning her wheels. Pictures to follow.

Well time to motor

Later all
Fergie

Morning All .. watching a few Ebay auctions and just finished breakfast .. Watching the ice melt off the trees and power lines .. after a 13 year absense from model railroading i am noticing how much has changed .. i really like the new DCC equipment .... Take Care .. Ron

Vyceroy said:
Morning All .. watching a few Ebay auctions and just finished breakfast .. Watching the ice melt off the trees and power lines .. after a 13 year absense from model railroading i am noticing how much has changed .. i really like the new DCC equipment .... Take Care .. Ron
Hi Ron, welcome to the Coffee Shop and to the Forum! We are many-and-varied here: Newbies to experts, Z thru G scale (and all in between), 'armchairs' to mega-sized layouts, young to 'less-young'. Great bunch of people though!:)

I was in Charlotte on business for a few days back in May 2001, attending a convention. Are there any good hobby shops in that region? I didn't really have time to hunt for any while I was there...

Ken there are not as many as there used to be .. this area is big on RC planes cars and such .. i couldnt tell you about Model railroad .. i do know i used to see a train shop on south Blvd here and now its gone and not listed in the phone book .. i remember in Roanoke there were 4 train shops in a relatively small town .. i have been forced to searching Ebay for items .. i would rather support a local shop but nothing on Radar yet .. (Bought a N&W GP-8 lastnight on Ebay) had to start somewhere ..

Evening all,
something hot for me Johnny,
been up the ladder all afternoon re routing guttering and fitting outdoor spotlights, this involved crawling in the awfull loft insulation, damn that stuff is itchy, anyway the garden is lit up like a prison yard now. the builders have been busy the last two days, they have done 5ft of brickwork from the floor level, it's looking good.

How about this for an accident the builder was on a roof job last week in Manchester, the owner of the house ran an electric extension out the window for them to use on the roof, shortly after the electric went dead and the house owner came out full of tears saying "he's dead he's dead" the builder ran down the ladder and into the house expecting to find a body on the floor, instead he saw a dead parrot which took a fancy to the electric cable and tried to eat it, whoop's BANG, one frazzled bird, the owner had got it 25 years ago and was his best friend. The owner not wanting to trip up on the wire had hung it over the birds cage not thinking that it might eat it, oh well, these things happen.

Good evening all,

Just the usual quiet friday evening here as I get ready to head back home. You won't see much of me online this weekend because I plan to spend as much quality time on the layout as possible. Almost have all the latexing completed, then on to ballasting.

Rex and gp80 - Speaking of weather, it wasn't too bad last night since people were on their guard, expecting it. This morning OTOH, what a zoo! I think my daughter's private school was the only one in the state that wasn't 2 hours delayed opening, and that black ice made driving a real adventure - something worthy of one of Engineerbill's stories!:eek:

Steve B said:
... one frazzled bird, the owner had got it 25 years ago and was his best friend. The owner not wanting to trip up on the wire had hung it over the birds cage not thinking that it might eat it, oh well, these things happen.
Wow Steve - 25 years you say? That's really sad. Kind of reminds me of those poodle-in-the-microwave stories. BTW that Belgin Special Forces video was a hoot!:p

Evening all.

Poor parrot...

Driving was a blast this morning. Apparently my fair town does not believe in the properties of salt, so the town was very similar to an ice rink. Once I got out of town it was fine.

On the positive side, it looks like it's almost time to start planning the new layout.

Tom.

Vyceroy said:
Ken there are not as many as there used to be .. this area is big on RC planes cars and such .. i couldnt tell you about Model railroad .. i do know i used to see a train shop on south Blvd here and now its gone and not listed in the phone book .. i remember in Roanoke there were 4 train shops in a relatively small town .. i have been forced to searching Ebay for items .. i would rather support a local shop but nothing on Radar yet .. (Bought a N&W GP-8 lastnight on Ebay) had to start somewhere ..
If you're looking for anything in particular, drop me a line. I'm hoping to get some new items up this weekend, as I haven't had a chance for almost two weeks :eek: . Link to my store is in my sig, if you're interested.

gp80mac said:
Driving was a blast this morning. Apparently my fair town does not believe in the properties of salt, so the town was very similar to an ice rink. Once I got out of town it was fine.
Gotta love central PA, eh? Our township has somewhere in the neighborhood of three plows and drivers, and we live at the end of a dead end road with all of eight houses. Needless to say, we're not high on the priority list. That's okay though...gives all the guys a chance to use their tractors and plows/blowers. 'Bout three inches of slop here from the most recent storm. Two hour delay for school; buses still had a hard time getting around. :rolleyes:

Good Morning everyone! Nice to see some new faces in here.
Flo, how about a dozen eggs scrambled, 1 pound of bacon, 8 pieces of toast, and a bucket of apple butter. Feel a little hungry this morning.

Hope all you have a good weekend planned and have most of your Christmas shopping behind you. I finally got my wrapping done. Don't ask how it turned out. I will say that I am thankful for Scotch tape. Some of you will remember me talking about hating to shop. Well, wrapping gifts is second to that. I finally figured out why I have had such a hard time. My wife always gets her wrapping done before me and I end up with the wrapping paper culls...all sizes...all shapes...and none will fit my boxes.

Cjcrescent came over from Birmingham yesterday and finished up on the hand layed turnouts he made for me. I needed them handmade because the odd radius and location wouldn't allow for a storebought. It is a one piece, 30" long section of curve, with 2 end to end curved turnouts in it. We connected Tortoise machines to them and they work great. Wow! They are really nice looking. Cj made it look so easy, but I know better. Thanks again CJ.

KenL: Go get'um tiger! Hope you get a lot done this weekend. We need to have some steel cooking soon. :D

NZKen: Isn't it nice to have a brother-in-law with equipment. I would still be shoving, rolling, grunting, and just plain p.o.'d trying to move that shed.

Steve: Nice to hear the work is going well on your home project. Keep us updated with a photo every now and then.

Tom: Thinking about your icy streets caused me to remember a little town in Kentucky that I lived in as a boy. One wintery night and all the streets frozen, a house caught on fire and it was on top of a hill. The fire truck tried to make it up the hill but slide back down. Finally, a wrecker winched it up. When they hooked up to the fire hydrant ...frozen solid.

Ron I have the same problem with our one and only LHS having nothing but RC stuff. I order most everything from the online hobby stores at some very good prices and have never experienced any problems. You can't be in a big hurry with most of them taking about 1-2 weeks for delivery.

Mornin' Flo, What!!??:eek: :eek: Youre all out of Eggs, Bacon, Toast, and Apple-butter?:confused: Good thing I brought my own!:D

The parrot story was, to me, amusing. Reminded me of an old Monty Python sketch:) . Takin my minature wiener dog to Pet-Smart today. I'm quite sure that there will be trouble. He'll think he owns the place, and that he hired everyone there:eek: . If everyone makes it out ok I'll let you know.

Anybody here see the animated movie Polar Express? We just saw it the other night and I was both impressed and a little confused. Impressed with the animation and the trains. Confused, because I thought it may have been a little on the 'dark' side for younger kids. Comments?

Have a great weekend. Story to be posted Sunday:D .

Johnny

Afternoon, all...

I just got back from a train display at a local library with my 2 yr old niece. They had a large O-scale set-up with lots of variety (PRR E33s and BNSF doublestacks on the same train) and plenty of buttons for the young and young at heart to push.

But on a side table was a loop of G-scale and a small loop of N. What is amazing how popular that little N loop was. The kids loved it.

Rex - yeah, just about all the Christmas shopping done. I love amazon.com.
Johnny - can't wait...those stories are wonderful to read.

Tom.

Hello All, Just a coffee for me i'm full to bursting, i just did a couple of 1lb T-bone steaks with giant mushrooms etc for me and Nicky, Mmmmmmm tasty

Kenthe video was great, our Robert has watched it a few times and still cry's laughing at it.
Rex this is a quick shot from the house i took today
122076837.gif

Vyceroy said:
Wow Ron, then it wasn't just my imagination, there really are NOT any down there:eek: - I feel for ya! Good thing we have the internet to almost fill the void (though not the same as a live person who can give advice and tech support).

Time to run, I'll catch the rest of you later...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back