Search results

1. B

Rattle cans to weather track?

Last minute question, have any of you had good luck with weathering track with rattle cans? My track is glued to blue foam and is to represent a branchline sevicing a grain elevator. I am stuck at the point of weathering the track. My previous layout I think I did an awesome job at getting the...
  2. B

Parts for a Bachmann 0-4-0

I found my small switcher from years back (still might be a little too long at 4" but I gonna give it a try). It is a Bachmann 0-4-0 Diesel switcher in ATSF paint. Where can I find parts for this thing? I need a new drive axle, the teeth are broke off of mine. Thanks a bunch!!!
  3. B

Layout in a shed

Thinking of moving my shelf layout (HO scale) into our little shed. It is unheated and obviously does not have A/C. I live in South Central Illinois (gets pretty humid in the summer). Is there any problem to doing this? I wouldn't think there would be other than worrying about some corrosion...
  4. B

Needing a very short HO scale loco

I am looking for a short HO scale locomotive. It would need to be no longer than 3" from front of coupler to back of the rear most wheel. I have been looking at trackmobiles but none will be available until March. Right now I can switch with my GP59 but have to make an extra runaround during...
  5. B

Roadbed material

I am thinking of using construction paper or styrene for my roadbed instead of cork. The reasoning behind not using cork is I do not want that much of a transition between my main and the spurs. I thought of using n-scale roadbed but would rather not buy any for the little bit I would need...
  6. B

Peco PL-13 and PL-15

I am trying to figure out if the PL-13 or PL-15 would work for powering my electrofrogs. I do not want to use switch machines. Everything I have read on them is that they will power the frogs when using a switch machine, but no one states whether or not is will work without the maching. It looks...
  7. B

Train shops in Branson, Mo.

Everyone, Wife and her family (yah :rolleyes:) are going to Branson in the middle of the month. Just wondering if there are any train stores around there. Finding no. 6 code 83 Peco switches at the train expo was a bust. Just wanting to find some in a store to compare some more prices to see...
  8. B

Thoughts on the shelf layout

I finally got around to tearing up the "old" track on my shelf layout and rough in the new one. What do you think? The two tracks that go to the top of the picture will continue to the corner. I was thinking of dropping the track on the right which would save me one switch. Don't know what...
  9. B

Peco medium turnouts

What does a Peco medium turnout equate to? Is it close to a no. 6 turnout? Smaller than that, larger maybe? Maybe the no. 6 has the N.A. style (straight after the frog) and the mediums have the european style (curved after frog)? Trying to buy some (need 2 LH, 2 RH, and a three way) from...
  10. B

Peco turnouts

As I posted a while back I am deciding to scrap my shelf layout and redo it. This time I am wanting to go with code 83 track and was wanting to scratchbuild the turnouts. Well time is limited and I would like to just make some headway so I think I will be buying premade turnouts. My question is...
  11. B

Scratch building turnouts

Guys, Is there something out there or a technique for building turnouts on your own? I know there is Fasttracks but $250 is kinda steep for right now. I am just wanting something to piddle with and not cost too much money. HO scale, if it makes any difference.
  12. B

Small HO track plan

So I have been unable to find the original layout that I posted about the other day. I went off of what I could from memory and built from it for my new track plan. It is confined to 2.5 X 5.5 feet. I can however, put a removable shelf or table on the lower left of the layout to give me the room...
  13. B

Trying to find a small HO layout

I found a small HO layout a while back, thought I bookmarked it but of course I did not. The layout was about 2X6 or so with a Canadian grain elevator theme. The reason I am trying to find this one is it gave some good operating sessions. I built one similar in size but stayed too...
  14. B

European couplers

I have wounder for years why the Europeans still use the bumper and link on their railroads? Is it kinda like us (U.S.) and our measuring system, just too hard and complicated to change over?
  15. B

3D textures

Guys, I am looking for a free download for corregated tin texture. Everything I have found has been just a few inches wide or they want $5 for a download. I just need about one 8 1/2" X 11" paper to try and finish my elevator structure. Thanks, Brad
  16. B

Future coal unloading practices

I am sure everyone has heard the despute about coal dust on the Powder Basin line (UP) (hope that is right I have a tendency to mix things in my head). Well last night while I was unloading wheat from the semi I got to thinking that if they were to go with the covers for the top to eliminate the...
  17. B

Siding config.

I have noticed that alot of sidings seem to have odd configurations without need. One example is in the "Trackside with Trains.com, Vol. 139, May 28, 2010" The photo by Andy Cummings. If the switch was placed further down the line it would eliminated the snake that is currently there. Any...
  18. B

Need some guide wires

Just finished my Walthers grain leg and need some guide wires. You know the ones that are used to keep the elevator legs and radio towers from blowing over. I thought about fisking string but thought that might be too thick. Do any of you guys have some ideas? Oh, and just like the proto ones...
  19. B

Narrow guage questions

I know that narrow guage has the narrow space between the rails (duh), but I was (and still am) under the impression that the overal width of the rolling stock is the same as standard guage. Is this true? Also, if the above is true then what would make building a narrow guage cheaper? I know...
  20. B

Powering a frog with manual turnouts

I have searched and searched but with no avail. I am trying to power the frogs on my Mark 3 turnouts. I don't want to use the Tortoise machines. The trunouts will be manual with the Caboose throws. I want the polarity to be switched auto. when I throw the turnout. Any ideas? I have a few but it...

Back