Thoughts on the shelf layout

bkpigs

I finally got around to tearing up the "old" track on my shelf layout and rough in the new one.
View attachment 23343

What do you think? The two tracks that go to the top of the picture will continue to the corner. I was thinking of dropping the track on the right which would save me one switch. Don't know what I would do with it but I am sure I could figure something out. Maybe another loading track for the elevator. Guess it would work for storage for the elevator if I move the turnouts around.

The track with the covered hopper on it will be the transfer track for anhydrous ammonia. The area with all the "stuff" on it will then be filled with anydrous wagons and equipment.

If you haven't caught on yet, this shelf layout is centered on a large ficticious ag facility.

I hope to pick up the needed track (switching to code 83) and turnouts (switching to Peco and code 83, and don't have a three-way) at the Great Train Expo this weekend in Collinsville.

Last edited by a moderator:
I also forgot to add that the left track on the top of the photo will hopefully become the mainline when we get a house with an extra room for a larger layout.

Hey bk, :)

You might consider a cheap manual turntable to add more shunting possibilities...

plan.gif

You can have places to park engines and also use it as a pass through to other tracks.

...or a switchback and an overpass for even more interesting running possibilities.

Ngumstump750.jpg

Greg

Greg,
I did think about the double-back with an over pass but with running a GP-59 and three bay centerflow covered hoppers, it would have been an extremely tight fit. I really did want to put a crossover in there somewhere but oh well!

On a side note I did drop the track on the right that follows the main. I then added a turnout to the spur going to the elevator for my car storage.

The tail track on the switchback is awfully short for a modern layout, you might be able to get an engine and 1 car on the tail.

This is a stand alone with the hopes of incorperating into a larger layout when I get the room.

I changed the track plan a bit, I decided against the three-way and brought the turnout for the run around closer toe the end. This will only allow for one loco back there which will make switching interesting. Remember that I will have a temporary extension at the bottom of the photo so I will be able to move cars out via that way.

I know the plan isn't perfect but hopefully soon I will have a larger area and be able to expand on it, then it will flow flawlessly.

I really should update this thread with a newer photo.

updated photo

Here is how the layout sits now. It is pretty self explainitory. I am thinking of making the curved spur on the left in the photo a team track instead of an Anhydrous Ammonia terminal.View attachment 23554

Breaking news!!! I have gotten the OK to use the small storage shed to house the layout. The new space I have to work with is 7' X 9'4" X 4'6" (there is a deep freeze in the way that will need to stay). I will try to draw up the new dimensions along with the existing layout. Now the challenge will be to find the best way to incoporate the existing layout into the shed.

Here is the first plan. I think I can get by with the track on the lower left extending beyond the 4'6" limit. Since it is skinny and I could make it into a swing down section. Basically what I am trying to accomplish is to make my original track plan more operationable. What do you think?View attachment 23920

Is there a way you can add a staging track or two to your plan? Maybe an interchange track? It's nice to run trains to "somewhere". Maybe a removable cassette at the end of one of the tail tracks?

I could easily add some staging tracks to the track on the right, after the long curve. I am going to try to paint the trackwork this weekend, the layout is still in the house so I am thinking of painting and doing scenic work while it is in there. By then it will be warm and I won't have soo much to worry about with getting the shed insulated ASAP.

This will be all temporary, still looking for that perfect farm place, but I was worried how I would make the layout I have now fit into a future layout. This definitely showed me that it can easily fit into a permanent layout.

I could easily add some staging tracks to the track on the right, after the long curve. I am going to try to paint the trackwork this weekend, the layout is still in the house so I am thinking of painting and doing scenic work while it is in there. By then it will be warm and I won't have soo much to worry about with getting the shed insulated ASAP.

This will be all temporary, still looking for that perfect farm place, but I was worried how I would make the layout I have now fit into a future layout. This definitely showed me that it can easily fit into a permanent layout.

Yeah, I'd extend that track on the right side down to a couple or so track staging yard. You could even hide it behind a removable panel of some kind.

I think this could fit quite well into a larger layout and, being in Illinois myself, I like rather simple, linear plans since that's what I'm used to seeing. ;)

A little off topic but, an Illinois Beachbum? Sounds like a Hawiian snow storm :) I really like the linear type of layout, although I do enjoy the clustered industrial areas. Personally I like to have industries being served with several car spaces (4+) this kinda makes the tight industrial theme out of my books. Although, I would really like to encorporate some complex trackwork.

update

Just giving you guys an update. Not much progress, just a little backwards motion. After taking the 44 tonner truck for a test drive (they make awesome testers to find dead spots!!!) I noticed that some of my caboose ground throws were having problems routing the power to the frogs consistantly (sp?). I am now in the process of tearing all the turnouts out, cutting off the ground throws, and bringing the turnouts back to factory set-up. Really wishing I would have just done that before. All tracks have feeder wires and the rails coming off the frog are insulated with plastic rail joiners. Should work fine if I ever upgrade to DCC, correct?

Back