Siding config.

bkpigs

I have noticed that alot of sidings seem to have odd configurations without need. One example is in the "Trackside with Trains.com, Vol. 139, May 28, 2010" The photo by Andy Cummings. If the switch was placed further down the line it would eliminated the snake that is currently there. Any reasons for this? Wish I could post the photo but it is not mine and I am at work.

a few reasons come to mind, some practical and some creative:

1) the line may have been routed long ago around buildings that are no longer there.
2) the original industry is long gone and the siding was merely re-routed to serve a new user, and the switch was left as it (it's very costly to move a switch and ties up the main while moving it.)
3) some previous switches along and within the siding could have been removed, and the resulting route uses the non-straight remnants of the route.
4) Sometimes there is a creek to be avoided, some underground utilities or even overhead utilities need to be avoided.
5) Perhaps the industry only recently got train service, and the buildings and (former) truck loading docks were not moveable.

6) it just adds interest and keeps things from being too predictable.

Last edited by a moderator:
It looks like the railroad had the same problem we modelers have sometimes. The industrial lead has to make a sharp turn to the right to follow the easier grades of the river. Railroads hate curved switches, since they are expensive and harder to install. In order not to have an "S" curve that would be too sharp, the easiest solution was to install a standard spring switch on the straight section of the main and provide a short section of straight track on the diverging route before it begins to curve towards the river. It looks like the grade crossing limited how far down the main the switch could be installed.

I saw a odd siding on my last trip out west(last week)

double track mainline with a siding in the middle of the mains.
the center siding had a Y switch that went off to each main.
both mains came right up to the center siding and had a "S" curve to move over to give room for the center siding.

it looked like a tipical childs first track plan LOL.
functional but a little odd....

Looks can be deceiving. Some camera shots condence distance. That might not be that bad of a direct S turn as the picture appears. There is somewhat of a straight in between which I was trying to count ties but its hard to see. Kinda like watching camera angles at a Nascar event and the straights appear only 100 yards long.

As long as the straight sections are as long as longest car to be dropped! :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Form follows function - take a look at the elevation difference between the main and the spur where the curve begins - it's at least 3 or 4 feet lower. That section of tangent track is a ramp up to the main track's elevation. It's a better solution from an engineering standpoint. Also, from an operations standpoint, you can see that the lead (noted in the article as being an independent subdivision) is operated within yard limits ('V' shaped sign on right, facing away from camera), and, from the oil drippings and sand piles, you can see that locomotives park there, presumably while awaiting authority to enter the main track. Sitting on the line parallel to the main track gives the engineer a better view to the track conditions ahead than the curve would offer. And as Trucula noted, the camera does a lot to foreshorten the view - that straight section is probably two or three car lengths.

....from the oil drippings and sand piles, you can see that locomotives park there, presumably while awaiting authority to enter the main track. Sitting on the line parallel to the main track gives the engineer a better view to the track conditions ahead than the curve would offer. QUOTE]

That is the kind of answer I was looking for. I woundered if there was an advantage to having a parrallel section next to the main.

At least on the NYC all spring switches were marked with a SS sign. I don't see one in the photo but maybe it's out of site.

George

I saw a odd siding on my last trip out west(last week)

double track mainline with a siding in the middle of the mains.
the center siding had a Y switch that went off to each main.
both mains came right up to the center siding and had a "S" curve to move over to give room for the center siding.

it looked like a tipical childs first track plan LOL.
functional but a little odd....
That is a very typical arrangement for a center siding. I have seen dozens of locations like that. Even stranger is when the center siding has been removed but the main tracks still swing out to a wide spacing.

Back