Rattle cans to weather track?

bkpigs

Last minute question, have any of you had good luck with weathering track with rattle cans? My track is glued to blue foam and is to represent a branchline sevicing a grain elevator. I am stuck at the point of weathering the track. My previous layout I think I did an awesome job at getting the color I wanted. It was a gray and black haze (looked exactly like older ties and grimey rail). Unfortuately, genious me :rolleyes: did not write down the paint mix (acrylic). Also, the air compressor I used last time has since junked out. I can get access to another one but would like to use some rattle cans from WM if I can. Hoping someone will have some pictures and experiences with using rattlecans from WM. I know I will have to be carefull about the foam gettin' eatin' by the paint.

Thanks for any ideas and hopefully our sorry excuse for a Wal-mart will have the colors and brands that ya'll recommend.

why not? as long as the paint isn't lacquer it should be (caveat paintor...) fine. the biggest issue is to mask the rail tops or clean them quickly.

I forgot to ask, what colors do you think would be appropriate? I was thinking rust (I think Rustoleum has a rust colored primer), followed by a light coat of black. Any thoughts?

I use Model Master "Dark Tan" FS 30219 It's a light rusty iron color, used Rutty Brown Primer be4 but to me is too brownish..The Dark tan is more iron like.

here is rustoleum rust primer. bit to flamy buy it self but s good base coat. acrylic sticks much better to it then to bare rail.

initial
DSC_3523-vi.jpg

toned down with black wash

DSC_4683-vi.jpg

Rustoleum takes long to dry as does any enamel. A flat Laquer is easier to work with, yes it will melt foam but all you need are quick light coats not heavy wet coats and you won't have a problem. Any fiz can makes a lot of over spray and fog, and will stink up a house so be carefull.
Most generic or automotive Primers that are labeled "Fast Drying" are laquer. Rustoleum is about the only one that's Enamel

Last edited by a moderator:
well, i tried Rustoleum and it did eat the foam (I only tried a small spot that will get covered up). It did however give me another idea on how to get the look I want. I have some acrylic rust paint (will need to airbrush so the main idea behind rattle cans is out) which I will cover everthing with. Then I will follow up with a thin black coating (same idea that tankist did) but will spray down at about a 45 degree angle to leave some hint of the rust color under the rail head.

I use Krylon Camo Brown, it works well so far has not eaten anything and dries fairly quick. It is a flat paint and sprays a fairly fine mist. Almost the right colour for aged ties too. You can see it in this pic on the furthestmost curved track. The wye also contains rust painted rail and painted ties in the ripped up section of right of way...

DSC01658.jpg

Back