Search results

1. rem37411

New N scale layout plan! Comments welcome!

When I got into MRR I came up with a plan that I thought was going to work for me. I have decided that I bit off more than I can chew. I am downsizing. This is the plan I have come up with so far. Please bear in mind that I am more interested in having a "working display" type railroad than...
  2. rem37411

Show us your bridges and supports!

I am sure there has been a thread on bridges...but I am mainly interested in seeing how you support your bridges.....pillars or otherwise. I have four bridges that will be basically "Out in the boonies" and I am interested in seeing your supports...I think mine will all have to be scratch built...
  3. rem37411

Yet another new layout design.

Any suggestions or comments are welcome. N scale. DCC Atlas code 80. Modern era. There are grades that you cannot see. Any questions please ask!
  4. rem37411

Securing groundthrows

I am an N scaler using the caboose industries groundthrows. I know that they are grossly overscale but that is what I am using none the less. I am looking for advice on how to secure them to the table. I tried cutting a little piece of foam to go under them and then put two nails down through...
  5. rem37411

Lessons learned!

I am curious what your biggest waste or regretted purchase has been so far? Nobody likes to admit they made mistakes but that is how we all learn! I'm not ashamed to admit that I purchased a very nice looking Atlas CSX sd-60 with decoder yesterday at a great train show in Atlanta! I got it...
  6. rem37411

How do I know what kind of decoder is installed?

Hello, I purchased a DCC equipped N scale loco (From someone on here actually). And I have a problem. My DCS50 recognizes and I can program road numbers in, but the loco will not start moving until I get the speed dial up to almost "2" and then it takes off like a shot. I am trying to find out...
  7. rem37411

How to hide a switch track machine?

Ok, when I first started my layout, I thought I would use the undertable switch machines from ATLAS for my turnouts. As it turns out, I got some advice from a very experienced N modeler who told me that the machines would have a hard time working through 2" of foam plus my half inch plywood. So...
  8. rem37411

Strange noise

I have two sd60 atlas locos. One has a decoder and the other is not supposed to have one. When I place the non equipped loco on the track with a straight DC power pack, it works beautifully. When I place the same non decoder engine on the track with the DCC system powering the track and turn the...
  9. rem37411

Sick to my stomach.

Guys, I think I am going to be sick to my stomach. I decided that I was intelligent enough to install the new digitrax decoders in my brand spanking new Atlas mp15. I now have a pile of parts. I was following directions to a "T" but they said nothing about the trucks coming off. The trucks came...
  10. rem37411

What is this?

I was traveling downtown Chattanooga yesterday and saw this machine. Anyone know what it is? Sorry for the fuzzy pic. Quickshot with my blackberry.
  11. rem37411

Rail Tie Brown

I apologize for asking a dumb question, but is rail tie brown actually brown? I purchased a bottle from my LHS and got it home and I swear it is Olive drab green. I took it back and he defends it saying it is the same ugly shade of brown it always has been. I am not color blind but this bottle...
  12. rem37411

Let's see your switch yards!

I would like to see pics of your switching yards! Large or small, empty or full! Engine service facility? Rolling stock service facility? Show em off! (Sorry west virginia, I took your idea)............:o
  13. rem37411

Chronological history of deisel engines

Can anyone recommend a good website that will lay out the chronological history of deisel engines? Preferably with pictures. Thanks!
  14. rem37411

Some news from Chattanooga

Hey folks, thought I would share this with you. The article is from News Channell Nine's web site and the pictures are by Bruce Garner with the Chattanooga fire department. I could not get the pictures to laod so here is the link...
  15. rem37411

N Scale Test Car

Ohboy.....here I go. Dumb question, but what is a "N Scale test car" and what is its function? I've no doubt the description says it all but I have looked and can't find what it is actually used for. Thanks! Ron
  16. rem37411

Curve turnouts/switch tracks

Hi I have done a little research and it appears the only curved switch track I can find in N scale is from a company called ROCO. Does anyone else know of anyone that offers curve turnouts? I am using atlas code 80 custom switches to be operated from under the table. I really dont want to put...
  17. rem37411

N scale Loco Shells

Does anyone know if it is possible to purchase just the engine shells for gp38 and gp 40? I am looking for Norfolk southern shells for a couple locos.
  18. rem37411

Mounting undertable switches in foam

Hi, I posted this originally tagged onto someone elses thread about cutting foam board but don't know that it is getting any exposure. I am building my layout with atlas code 80 and am only using the custom switches, I don't like the look of the mechanical switch laying beside the tracks. I am...
  19. rem37411

Micro trains couplers

Hi, I have been accumulating a few cars from lot sales on ebay and have got a few Bachmann cars. I purchased some micro trains couplers/trucks and have been swapping out the better looking cars (not all Bachmann) and I have to say I LOVE those trucks, they roll so freely and the couplers so far...
  20. rem37411

Layout planning

Folks I could use some help. I have my tables together and my foam down and I am trying to lay out a mainline run but I am very lacking in creativity, I have a (in my opion) very large table for an N scale layout. I am attaching the picture. I can only come up with a mainline that runs most of...

Back