Search results

1. AyTrane

JTT Pine Trees - How are they?

I'm wondering if anyone has used/seen the JTT pine trees in person, and how they look. http://www.jttmicroscale.com/viewcategory.asp?DirID=140 They don't look too bad from the few pictures I've seen on the internet, but I haven't seen any on anyone's layout.
  2. AyTrane

Rebuilding a museum layout

I have been hired to help rebuild the two rail O-scale layout at the Durham Western Heritage Museum here in Omaha. Apparently the track wiring is overly complicated, and is in need of a rehab, so we are going to gut it, and start over. I am quite excited that the museum has taken some initiative...
  3. AyTrane

Weekly Photo Fun 3/5 - 3/11

Moo
  4. AyTrane

Kato SD40 tracking problem

I just bought my first KATO unit (HO Scale); it is a lightly used SD40. I put it on my layout by itself, and decided to give it a run around to see how it performs. I've noticed that it derails quite frequently, and even in parts that seem to have to problem with the track. My Athearn, BLI, and...
  5. AyTrane

Weekly Photo Fun 1/15 - 1/21

I guess I'll start it off. Here are two shots of Rio Grande #536. The first is #536 crossing the lower level of trackage, and the second is the train crossing the bridge spanning the doorway.
  6. AyTrane

Sound decoder consisting

I searched through some threads, and came to the conclusion that it is possible to consist a sound decoder (no motor control), with a non sound decoder (motor control). But I would like to double check with someone, for what I'm trying to do. I have an HO steam locomotive that I installed a...
  7. AyTrane

Video of my G Scale layout

Found some footage on my hard drive, so I pieced the clips together. Video was shot in April 2009, nothing was really blooming yet. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_Xwq-k6NHI
  8. AyTrane

Do you think these decoders are fried?

I have two decoders, one is an NCE and the other Digitrax. The NCE decoder is in one of my Athearn SD45's. I have the main light output (white) wired to the headlight, secondary to the reverse light, and third output to the mars light. I can put the engine in reverse and the rear light comes...
  9. AyTrane

Adding DCC to Athearn Switcher

I'm looking to add a decoder to an HO Athearn Switcher (SW1200). I purchased a small Digitrax decoder that is compatible with Z,N, and HO. Since there is very little room inside the SW body, would the best bet be to place the decoder into the cab of the engine, and covering it with some styrene?
  10. AyTrane

Anything in Omaha, NE?

I've heard of a few, but I didn't know if there was anyone in the Omaha metro area that was in any clubs.
  11. AyTrane

Anyone make their own track?

I have been tempted to make my own track, due to the high cost of current track. I have stopped at several home improvement stores and came across four foot strips of steel roughly the same size as G rail, maybe a little taller. The cost is about $3.50 a piece (making a four foot section of...
  12. AyTrane

DCC system reset on switch

I have the MRC Prodigy DCC system. I have noticed recently that when my engines cross a certain section of track at slower speeds they will reset my system, causing the screen to read "SVDA." This tends to happen at a few different spots in a four foot section of track. One spot is at/near a...
  13. AyTrane

Got to go outside today...

It got up to 30degrees today. I stopped by a local hobby shop I had never been to before and scored a box of 1' track for $3.89 a piece. This is much better than the $8+ price that HobbyTown was charging. So I headed home and went and did some temporary laying outside. I had brought all my track...
  14. AyTrane

Anyone know who made this?

It's an automated signal crossing set. It has two photo sensors that alert the crossing signals of an oncoming train, and makes the bell noise. The signals then blink like real life. I bought this a long time ago at a train show, and wanted to know who made it. I need to repair the unit as the...
  15. AyTrane

Congratulations, you made me do it.

I finally converted to DCC, after 17 years of DC. It took some time to figure out how to program everything, and I still don't know how to get the mars light to go, but I'm working on it. I spent three hours overhauling one of my Athearn SD45's. I cleaned out all the old grease, soaked the parts...
  16. AyTrane

DC Blocks with Potentiometer control.

I have always had a DC layout in one form or another. My new layout is wired in blocks, but I was wondering if it would be possible to control one of my two mainlines with a potentiometer to control the current going to the engine? If I want to run a freight train on the inside loop, it usually...
  17. AyTrane

What color should I stain my trestle?

I was thinking of taking a Walnut stain, and maybe thinning it down a bit. What do you think? Railroad will be set in the area of the Sierra Nevada Mountains in middle California, but I'm flexible as it will be fictional anyway.
  18. AyTrane

Knuckle Coupler question

I have some F7's in A-B-A fashion and I have them hooked up with some knuckle couplers. The shank is standard length, but I don't like the appearance as the distance between the engines is unrealistic (too far). I was wondering if I could go with a short shank knuckle coupler without running...
  19. AyTrane

Athearn Engine mods?

Has anyone done any modification to their Athearn engines to make them run quieter? I found a website that had step by step directions, but I wanted to do some research to see if anyone else had any luck with anything to make their locos run quieter before I went ahead and overhauled one of my...

Back