Kato SD40 tracking problem

AyTrane

I just bought my first KATO unit (HO Scale); it is a lightly used SD40. I put it on my layout by itself, and decided to give it a run around to see how it performs. I've noticed that it derails quite frequently, and even in parts that seem to have to problem with the track. My Athearn, BLI, and P2K SD40's and SD45's make it through these sections with no problem. I was wondering if anyone else has more trouble with their Kato units than other manufacturers.

It almost seems as if the chassis and trucks on the Kato unit are identical to that of the Broadway Limited SD40, so I'm not sure why the Kato unit derails. I have looked at a problem spot "in slow motion" while pushing the problem child, and it seems the trucks have very little play up and down, and combined with short wheel flanges, the train derails with even the slightest abnormality in the track, and sometimes in spots I see no abnormalities.

I don't know much about taking apart the mechanisms in Kato units, and I don't have the assembly instructions to look at. Anyone know any tips to get them to run better?

Got an NMRA gauge? Check the wheel gauge first. Then make sure that the trucks swivel freely and don't bind. if you have spotty trackwork, this can be a problem, as the Kato mechanisms are pretty tight, that is to say well made and not a lot of slop in them.

I took off the shell today, and noticed that the trucks are bound from moving too far by two plastic pins attached to the top of the worm gear housing; and on bottom by the truck frames themselves. This allows only a few millimeters of movement up and down. I wondering if I can file down these two restrictions a bit, and get a little more play out of the system?

I found a couple of the early HO scale SD40-2's that I forgot I had.
Both units had the typrical early Kato problems, truck side frames that catch on the frame (replaced by Kato), light boards burning out (also replaced by Kato), and that thing where they don't run with the shells on due to that pick up strip on the frame that tended to bend upwards. The fix for that was to hard wire the trucks.
Stupid me just had to have them when they first came out at almost $200 a pop too!
If anyones interested in them they will show up on ebay before too long.
Both are BN and #'s 6336 and 6333 I believe.

I have a F40PH that derails at any speed where no other loco derails, and haven't identified the track as the problem. I'll take a closer look at the trucks and wheels, since the track looks ok and guages properly.

Back