Search results

1. M

Give up

OK! that's it! I give up. I recently tried several times to post some pictures. Today I tried several times and in several different formats, to post an article I found. What does INVALID FILE mean??? I'm beginning to get a complex! I will just continue to lurk in the shadows. Mac
  2. M

Looking For a Big Boy

Hi Guys. I'm looking for a Big Boy, A Challenger or something along that Line. 2-6-6-2 or 2-8-8-2 you get the picture? Must have DCC with sound. I would like to hear some opinions on the various brands. Bachmann, Athearn, M.T.H, Rivarossi. I have done a bit of research on the net and I am...
  3. M

Mantua 2-6-6-2

Hi All. Does anyone have an opinion about a Model Power Mantua 2-6-6-2? Seems pretty low cost? I have a Model Power 4-6-2 and it is a pretty bad runner, it only moves when the throttle is turned quite a way up, then it takes off at speed and doesn't like to run at low speed. I think it's...
  4. M

Brass track, is it so bad?

I have read a lot of comments about how bad brass track is, but nothing about why?? Brass track was used extensively at one time, cause that's all they had. I am aware of the oxidization thing, but was it that bad. When was it first used and when did it go out of favor? I was given a bunch...
  5. M

Kadee Whisker Question

Good morning guys. I know this question has been answered before, but I gotta ask again. I am converting to Kadee Whisker couplers. I have purchased #148 (standard length, center set) What are the numbers for under set and over set in standard length. I thought I had found a chart on the net...
  6. M

Track cleaner

I know this subject has been discussed extensively before, there are a zillion threads in the archives but I can't find what I want. Does anyone out there have any experience with some sort of cleaning machine, like a rail car with cleaning liquid in it. Would like to have some opinions before...
  7. M

Spring has sprung

I have an IHS HO steamer that isn't running quite right. I decided to give it a good going over, Stripped it down, no problem at which point I thought perhaps the carbon brushes are not making good contact. When I attempted to remove the first brush, the compression spring, sprung on me. The...
  8. M

Looking For

Don't know where to put this?? Some months back, we had a serviceman, not sure what branch, interested in starting an HO layout. I have some stuff that might be of use to him, track, rail cars, transformers, couple of cheap locos etc,. No charge, pay shipping only. Spring cleaning. Mac
  9. M

Decoders and locos

Hi Guys. Got a few things I would like to discuss. 1: I have an IHC 4-6-2 in which I installed an MRC sound decoder. Yes I am aware that MRC is not the greatest. The sound is great but it requires a lot of throttle to make it move. I stripped it down and before I installed a new decoder, I...
  10. M

Piggyback

Hi Guys. I have been given a couple of enclosed trailers, the 18 wheeler type. I want to turn a couple of flat cars into piggyback flats. I'm having trouble finding pictures showing the hardware that the trailer is fixed to (the fifth wheel end) if I have the correct terminology? I'm doing...
  11. M

Turnout indicater

I need to have some way of knowing which way my turnouts are headed on the far end of my layout. My scale is HO. I use Atlas switch motors. When I throw the switch I would like to automatically, light up a signal to indicate go or no go, without having to manually operate a separate switch...
  12. M

Shay

I must admit my ignorance! Although I had heard the term "Shay" I had never seen one, nor did I know what it was. Yesterday I looked it up on Wikipedia, WOW!!! some loco? I watched a couple of video clips, WOW again, that baby has a whole lot going on all at the same time?? I would think...
  13. M

A bit of history

Some great photos of historical locomotives in the "Bulawayo Railroad Museum" A different part of the world, was Rhodesia, now Zimbabwe, A part of the world where I grew up. Bulawayo was my home town. Don't ask me to give you the HTTP/ WWW etc, too complicated for this old guy. Just do a...
  14. M

Rice California

I travel the California highway 62 fairly frequently. I have been intrigued for some years by the several dozen, unmarked, some black and some white, railroad tank cars parked at and near to Rice California. In fact there are another bunch which can be seen in the distance, north west of rice...
  15. M

Kit Bashing.

I believe I have the correct terminology. I am new to kit bashing, only built four to date. I am currently working on "Miss Bettie's Diner" by Cornerstone. To say that I am disappointed, would be an understatement, more like annoyed. : Several of the parts require modification, filing and or...
  16. M

Need windows and stuff

Hi Guys. I am going to try my hand at building some structures from scratch. I don't think I have the dexterity to make window and door frames. Any ideas on what where and how, I can get some of these would be much appreciated. By the way, I am working in HO. Thank in advance. Mac
  17. M

How do I attach a document?

I recently received a news document about a derailment in South Africa, problem is I have forgotten how to copy it to this forum. Thought it might be of interest to some. Mac
  18. M

Turnout Indicators

Hi All. It's been a while since I was here. I have about 15 turnouts on my layout, problem is that I tend to not set them correctly, resulting in derailments. I use Atlas snap switches with remote. Is there any way I can, at a glance, know which way the turnout is set, some sort of light or...
  19. M

Bridges, Rail/Road sharing

Hi Guys. Just had a thought!!!! I have a curved approach to a truss bridge on my layout. Because of the curve, any carriages with a long overhang hit the side of the bridge. No problem? I can widen the bridge by gluing a sliver of wood, about 1/4" wide X 1/16" thick between the floor of the...
  20. M

Rail Fanning

Every once in a while I stumble across a short video of a historic steam loco passing through a state or neighborhood. How do these guys know to be on the spot at the right time? What do they know that I don't? Any info on the subject would be appreciated. Mac

Back