Mantua 2-6-6-2

maczimb

Hi All.
Does anyone have an opinion about a Model Power Mantua 2-6-6-2? Seems pretty low cost?
I have a Model Power 4-6-2 and it is a pretty bad runner, it only moves when the throttle is turned quite a way up, then it takes off at speed and doesn't like to run at low speed. I think it's because it has a three poll motor.
I read about a "can Motor" not sure what that means, will this baby do well at low speed?
Thanks in advance.
Mac

Model Power is cheap stuff that is why your existing one only wants to run at higher speeds.

The newer stuff Model Power Mantua is supposed to be "better" I guess, but while they are cool looking and delightful to LOOK at, I am not sure I want to waste the money to find out they don't run so well.

I am also DCC so I would have to put in a decoder, as they don't seem to make them DCC On Board.

Hi All.
Does anyone have an opinion about a Model Power Mantua 2-6-6-2? Seems pretty low cost?
I have a Model Power 4-6-2 and it is a pretty bad runner, it only moves when the throttle is turned quite a way up, then it takes off at speed and doesn't like to run at low speed. I think it's because it has a three poll motor.
I read about a "can Motor" not sure what that means, will this baby do well at low speed?
Thanks in advance.
Mac

I have one FS right now that runs real good at any speed. They do run slower than the average engine because they are geared to run slow. Mine is a Logger & is about a year old. I'm not running any steamers on the layout anymore, so, I'm selling them. This one is supposed to be DCC ready. I only run DC.
They are labeled w/the Mantua logo now.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know anything about the steamers so I'll not even go there. I used to have a pair of Model Power F2's that ran fairly descent at higher speeds but ran like dogs at slow speed and had little pulling power due to their light weight. Like your old steamer they had 3-pole motors and exceptionally thin metal frames. I changed the motors out with 5-pole skew wound can motors. To add weight to the locos I added two lead sheets to each one. These sheets were the same size as the weight for an average 40' box car (that's what I used as a template to cut them out). The locos ran MUCH better and would pull the wallpaper off the wall not to mention that they could each pull a 20 car train without a problem. I had no problem selling them at a handsome profit.

Can't say what the modern production Mantua's are like, though the gear boxes are a major improvement over the direct-drive three-pole motor jobs. About thirty years ago I went on a kitbashing rampage using Mantua r-t-r and kits. Four 2-6-2 Prairies became a pair of 2-6-6-2's. I used the late Harold Mellor's gearboxes and either Sugami or Canon coreless motors (can't recall which, and can't see them except for the flywheels in the cab). Because of space limitations in the boilers I couldn't power the forward drivers, but with traction tires, the pair will pull 22 freight cars on a straight and level track.

Mantua Pacifics became one high-stepping 2-6-2 Prairie, a 4-8-4 Northern, while Mikados became everything from a Burlington 4-8-2 Mountain, and 2-10-2's and 2-10-4's. In the case of the bigger steam locomotives I spliced frames and boilers, added Mellor gearboxes, valve gear, and cabs, and used 20 mm Canon coreless motors. These all run on DC, though I've contemplated adding sound at the least, if I can determine whether I really need to insulate the motors from the frames, or if they have insulted cases, and all I have to do is disconnect the wire that is currently grounded to the frame of the locomotive and re-connect it to a decoder. Time will tell.

Anyhow, with a little work and re-motoring, these new engines should work fine.

I have one of the older model. It runs fine just the way it is. I don't know how it would do on switches as my mainline has none. Mine is with the tender and pulls well.

Bob

Mac:

About 5 months ago I bought a new Mantua/Model Power 2-6-6-2 with tender.

It looks good but doesn't pull real well (it's light weight even though it does have one O ring on one driver for traction.)

The tender only uses one axle on each truck for electric pickup (the tender does one rail, the loco the other rail.) This was easily fixed though by me.

It's extremely difficult for me to disassemble it so I paid someone to do it (and I'm not a novice at disassembling steam or diesel locos. ) After purchase I had sent it to Mantua to fix something (which they did) but when it came back they left a bunch of wires visible in the cab. I then had to pay someone to disassemble it and clean up the wire mess.

I now runs but has a click and a little lurch in its get-a-long - and I can't find it.

All in all I'd give it a C- at best out of the box. If you buy one you takes your chances.

I'm just going to put it in a box and keep mine. I'd rather trade it but I'd lose too much money (even though it cost me about $125 plus shipping - plus the $30 wire nest fix.)

By the way, when it is running it's looks nice with the articulated two sets of drivers, and the boiler front swinging out on curves.

DougC

Thanks for the input gentlemen!
Doug, thanks for your detailed critique, based on that, I will opt not to buy.
Mac

My nephew gave me one of these and after doing some google searches see that it is prone to a couple issues which I noticed the first time I put it on the tracks.

My question, is there a fix out there, I like the way this loco looks and it's history:

1) Front truck wants to come off the track

2) Does not pick up current well

If we can solve this I am sure this machine will be on the track most of the time. Thanks, lasm

So far as the Mantua 2-6-6-2 logger with tender is concerned, I bought one with DCC & sound. I really haven't tried to load it up, as I use it for a Maintenance of Way, with two MOW cars (wood kits from years ago) a Model Die Cast bottom drop gondola and a waycar (caboose). Seem to run fine for me. So far as the lead truck derailing is concerned, first check the gauge of the wheels. Try removing the coil spring that presses the truck frame to the track. Sometimes that spring causes more problems than letting it float...sometimes not. The other thing is to be sure there is no interference between some part of the frame and the truck. As far as current pickup is concerned, the probable cause is the limited pickup by the tender trucks. You might need to substitute other trucks with better pickup contacts, or add some contact and wire. Be sure the wheels on both the engine and the tender are clean. Let us know what happens.

THANKS trailrider for quick response. I checked abunch of other advice in the google searches and I may also add pickup to the leading and trailing trucks, also will experiment with your spring issue.

Some loco's are more fussy and maybe the wheel/tracks not being perfectly clean is enough for the pickup issue. My layout is small enough that the cleaning is not that big a deal. I will reclean the section of track and also go over the wheels on the loco, as this was a gift, no telling if it sat in dust, I think it was purchased from ebay.

Thinking about just using the mallet for point to point between the sawmill and logging operation, although like to be able to run it everywhere on the track. lasm

Back