Track cleaner

maczimb

I know this subject has been discussed extensively before, there are a zillion threads in the archives but I can't find what I want.
Does anyone out there have any experience with some sort of cleaning machine, like a rail car with cleaning liquid in it.
Would like to have some opinions before I spend any money on a lemon.
Thanks.
Mac

Well I am using a friends Center Line track cleaner (he thinks he's getting it back...) and I'm very happy with it.
it's especially handy for hard to reach or hidden tracks.
I wrap a strip of "J" cloth around it and wet it with track cleaner.
After a few rounds
I trade the old cloth for a new dry one and finish the job.
I also have a few cars with pads under them but find they need to be ground off or replaced too often.

http://www.centerline-products.com/

Last edited by a moderator:
Our club bought the MNP Inc HO-99149 HO Dual Motorized Track Cleaning Car
Its DCC setup and runs around 130 bucks..pads are changeable. It works well and we use it between runs but we still hand clean the rails every so often. it makes the cleaning cars job easier. What I like about it is you can set the RPMs high on the cleaning pads and push/tow the car slowly..It can clean in between runs while we are working on other stuff.

I bought the Atlas Track cleaning car about 2 or 3 years ago. Cost me $80.00 on Ebay.
That was the worse pc. of machinery I ever had on the layout. I tried changing almost everything to make it work. The other day I sawed it up in small pcs. on my bandsaw.
Didn't want anyone else owning it & have the troubles I had.

Back