Looking For a Big Boy

maczimb

Hi Guys.
I'm looking for a Big Boy, A Challenger or something along that Line. 2-6-6-2 or 2-8-8-2 you get the picture?
Must have DCC with sound.
I would like to hear some opinions on the various brands. Bachmann, Athearn, M.T.H, Rivarossi.
I have done a bit of research on the net and I am now totally confused. Prices range from $350.00 all the way up to $550.00.
Also the availability of some models "out of stock"
I could do with some help.
Thanks in advance

I have a LifeLike (now Walthers) Proto 2000 "Heritage Steam Collection" USRA 2-8-8-2 with DCC and sound (NP #4502). I love it! Runs good, pulls like an ox, negotiates my 18 radius turns just fine, though it would probably look better on R22". The sound is fine to me. Looks good to me, too.

Although NP is not a road I model, this loco was leftover inventory from when I closed my hobby shop back in 2006 or 2007, so I put it on my layout, and am glad I did!

I wish I had another one!

Rotor

The Mantua articulated engine being sold at a good price at trainworld and other popular sites is a good engine, and much cheaper. It needs a decoder, but ask the seller to make that happen for a negotiated fee. You will still come in under $200 with some luck. It's a thought!

As for other large articulated engines, BLI's Y6b is exceptional if you can get ahold of one. I also like the Hornby/Rivarossi Allegheny 2-6-6-6. The Bachmann Spectrum 2-6-6-2 is sometimes blown out, also a good engine. Bachmann is about to market a first-ever Yellowstone ( I think?) in plastic HO. It is the EM from the Baltimore & Ohio, due perhaps near Christmas. The Proto Heritage articulated is also very nice, although I hear different stories about pulling power.

Athearn's Genesis line has both a Big Boy and a Challenger, both very nice engines. Beware earlier versions if they have the MRC Brilliance sound decoder...they are so close to trouble it isn't even funny.

MTH has a Challenger out if I recall. They should be fine engines, although their decoders are not well-matched to DCC systems in terms of full CV control or modifcation. You'll have basic function and sound with a DCC system, but you would have to purchase their DCS system for full feature control. It may be that the latest batch has improved DCC/DCS compatibility, or even that they are DC with an abilty to pop in a DCC decoder and speaker with ease...you'll have to ask.

recently got myself an athearn challenger. the mrc decoder is really bad all around even for motor control (the motor is high quality from Rocco), the whisle sound like a dying cow. replacing it however is really easy, because athearn made a nice wire terminal inside the tender, you just unsolder the mrc decoder wires and put a taunami, the twin speaker wiring is fine for the tsunami too. The look and detailling however is georgeous ! And its a strong puller too!

Back